As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bread Making in the Double Skillet

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bread Making in the Double Skillet

Our double skillet arrived this morning. Quick delivery! We needed some bread and were keen to try out its bread making potential. This is our first attempt. Quite successful, the cheap silicon bread pan was poor quality, a slightly more rigid silicon pan would no doubt improve the shape of the finished loaf. First trial was in our kitchen but should be just as easy in the van.

Loaf made using Wrights Organic Stoneground Wholemeal Bread Mix (lots of other varieties available and you can add whatever you like once you get the hang of it. Wrights suggest adding pecans and sultanas to this mix which sounds yummy.

Link to bread making in double skillet
    Last edited by Vanderella; 26-03-2012, 14:47.
    Mary

Yummy! Can smell it all the way over here.

End product looks very professional. I'll bet there wasn't much left once you had cut into it!
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

The best tasting bread is always a wierd shape though isn't it?
      Is that the large skillet, or the small one?

Comment

That was the large skillet. I flipped the bread over for the last five minutes, as I do in the Remoska, but I dont think that was necessary, it just flattened the top a bit! The heat in the double skillet seemed pretty even.
        Mary

Comment

I have the small skillet and just put the bread straight into the pan and cover with clingfilm or the glass lid to let it rise. I use bread mixes as that is easier in the 'van and I also flip the skillet over for 5 mins at the end to brown the top.

Soda bread is easy to make as well - I just put the ingredients minus liquid in a plastic bag before leaving home and mix as required. It looks a slightly strange shape but tasted very good and didn't last very long!
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post
            I have the small skillet and just put the bread straight into the pan and cover with clingfilm or the glass lid to let it rise. I use bread mixes as that is easier in the 'van and I also flip the skillet over for 5 mins at the end to brown the top.

Soda bread is easy to make as well - I just put the ingredients minus liquid in a plastic bag before leaving home and mix as required. It looks a slightly strange shape but tasted very good and didn't last very long!
            I do Soda bread in the Remoska, its amazing how easy it is! Perhaps we can have a bake off one day! I was experimenting with the loaf pan because John complains that the round bread does not fit in the toaster properly. He is very fond of toast :eat:
            Mary

Comment

Sounds as if you are well-equipped for feeding the five thousand, between you.

Comment

Mary, could I use a loaf tin in the skillet? I love the Wrights bread mixes and would like to try one when in Bridlington. I liked your silicon one but haven't seen them here although I expect I could order one from Lakeland.[other such establishments are available!].

You loaf looked yummy, bet it didn't last long!

Di.

Comment

Love the enterprise and ideas here ......Can I just leap on this thread and say to people if the bread mixes work ordinary bread making should do fine as well, without the need for packets.

It does open up a range of possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Tentpeg View Post
                    Love the enterprise and ideas here ......Can I just leap on this thread and say to people if the bread mixes work ordinary bread making should do fine as well, without the need for packets.

It does open up a range of possibilities.
                    The use of packets just simplifies things in the van - everything in one place without too much searching for that elusive ingredient that has hidden itself at the bottom of a dark cupboard.

I have made bread in the van with flour, yeast etc and I never use packets at home and do make most of the bread that we eat.

Wouldn't like anyone to think that I was lazy.

Comment

I'll admit it - I'm lazy!

I've often used that part baked bread in the double skillet though, the french loaf variety and that cooks a treat in there.

Comment

Worse then both of you in lazy stakes I have a panasonic machine! Can see the bread mixes are a good way forward.

I have in the past taken away premixed bread dough, a live being so to speak, in the cool box and toated it over the barbecue which worked well.... either a flattened and cooked or as little balls on sticks.

Just thinking around the box so to speak.

Comment

The use of packets just simplifies things in the van - everything in one place without too much searching for that elusive ingredient that has hidden itself at the bottom of a dark cupboard.

I have made bread in the van with flour, yeast etc and I never use packets at home and do make most of the bread that we eat.

------------------------------------
                          I'm the first to admit to being lazy... ok, Jayjay, you beat me to it, but that would spoil the expression!

I can see a SMH forum bread stall coming up at the Spring meet at this rate. shall we place our orders now?

Comment

I agree with Wendy, no weighing, no measuring, no yeast to feed .....its all in one packet and very easy. Just chuck a few packs in the van and no need to think about it again. I do use them at home too. I used to do it the 'proper' way, I even had a sour dough ferment constantly on the go. But it was like having responsibility for a child - it needed feeding every four days or it would die, created problems when I wanted to go away! Just give me a packet - but I might add a few extras here and there just to make me feel clever!
                            Mary

Comment

Originally posted by di allen View Post
                              Mary, could I use a loaf tin in the skillet? I love the Wrights bread mixes and would like to try one when in Bridlington. I liked your silicon one but haven't seen them here although I expect I could order one from Lakeland.[other such establishments are available!].

You loaf looked yummy, bet it didn't last long!

Di.
                              Hi Di - I am sure Lakeland will have a good selection. I am going to look out for a better quality one. The only ones I have seen so far are a tad too long for the skillet, if it has a rim you can of course trim it off. I found a nice strong looking 1lb one on Ebay, their 2lb one is too big. A 1lb loaf can be quite handy - would only use half a pack. (link to Ebay loaf pan)
                              Mary

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X