As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Height barriers

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Height barriers

On a recent trip to South Wales we wanted to go out for the day in the Dimension to Newport but in the past we have followed car park signs only to find that there is a height barrier when we get there.

So I had the bright idea of phoning the local Tourist Information office and asking about parking for motorhomes and I have to say they were VERY helpful, they didn't have the information to hand but phoned back within a few minutes and gave me a choice of three car parks and even told me where to go for some free parking. So it's worth trying next time you are out and about.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Originally posted by Graham View Post
    On a recent trip to South Wales we wanted to go out for the day in the Dimension to Newport but in the past we have followed car park signs only to find that there is a height barrier when we get there.

So I had the bright idea of phoning the local Tourist Information office and asking about parking for motorhomes and I have to say they were VERY helpful, they didn't have the information to hand but phoned back within a few minutes and gave me a choice of three car parks and even told me where to go for some free parking. So it's worth trying next time you are out and about.
    --------------------------------------
    That must have been frustrating to realise, yet again, there could be a problem getting in and out of the carpark - but good that the tourist info office staff were so helpful.

The height restrictions were the key factor determining our selection of the HILO R20, though I am envious of the extra space in the other model.
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Thanks for that tip Graham. I never thought of doing that before. It will be more important for us now as we have changed our van to a Nu Venture Nu Surf which is a lot higher than our old R20.
      Moya :)

Comment

Maybe, if enough enquiries of this nature are made, the message just might get through to the councils.

Comment

We always blame the Lawmakers, Councils or whatever. But in truth if everyone behaved the rules of common sense, decency and courtesy we would need no Laws or rules.
          Blame the people who are the reasons for things like height barriers etc. (and all other restrictions) and who would ignore simple signs outlining acceptable usage.
          In the pertinent words of Jonathan Ross about signs ( and who really rubs me up the wrong way). "Does that mean us?"
          "Please keep off the grass" never works!
          Jim.
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

This is a worthwhile site and you can access it while you are out and about so no need to make expensive phone calls to Councils or be unable to contact them at weekends.
            http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/
            Colin

Comment

I looked at that site Colin but some of the information is years out of date, I wouldn't trust it. I have 100 free minutes on my mobile which I never manage to use so not really expensive to phone for me.

Incidentally my mobile is with Virgin and the sim costs me £5.50 a month and I get 100 free minutes and unlimited free texts. Quite good value eh?
              Graham
              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Height barriers in France

Anyone thinking of touring in France, avoid the centre of Rouen (Seine Maritime) as there is an underpass in the motorway there which has a roof which is too low for some motorhomes, and motorhomes and lorries are frequently getting stuck. The last one was a French motorhome.
                I found this out to my cost last year when I approached the underpass and I could see that the roof was too low for my R30, but what I did not see was a steel girder hanging over the road as a warning! That hit the heki on my van and smashed it, I should tell you that I panicked just a bit as there was a thunderstorm brewing, and I had visions of my motorhome being flooded.
                Fortunately I stopped at a cafe in a little town and an English speaking person directed me to a workshop where I had a solid transparent sheet fitted.
                When I arrived home Ant obtained a replacement Heki at enormous cost and fitted it at a minimum price.

Comment

Originally posted by eugene View Post
                  Anyone thinking of touring in France, avoid the centre of Rouen (Seine Maritime) as there is an underpass in the motorway there which has a roof which is too low for some motorhomes, and motorhomes and lorries are frequently getting stuck. The last one was a French motorhome.
                  I found this out to my cost last year when I approached the underpass and I could see that the roof was too low for my R30, but what I did not see was a steel girder hanging over the road as a warning! That hit the heki on my van and smashed it, I should tell you that I panicked just a bit as there was a thunderstorm brewing, and I had visions of my motorhome being flooded.
                  Fortunately I stopped at a cafe in a little town and an English speaking person directed me to a workshop where I had a solid transparent sheet fitted.
                  When I arrived home Ant obtained a replacement Heki at enormous cost and fitted it at a minimum price.
                  Thanks for the warning Eugene, that sounds a nasty experience but glad good old Ant managed to sort you out.
                  Graham

Comment

In Italy near Florence, my sister ended up driving backwards away from an underpass, reversing up and on to a fast moving motorway! Not an experience she wishes to repeat
                    Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Vanderella View Post
                      In Italy near Florence, my sister ended up driving backwards away from an underpass, reversing up and on to a fast moving motorway! Not an experience she wishes to repeat

I bet that was a bit frightening.
                      Graham

Comment

Is this the one you are talking about Eugene?

http://www.paris-normandie.fr/actu/r...ous-une-tremie

Was lady in picture the driver?

Quelle embarrassment!!!!

Tony Anchorman
                        Last edited by anchorman; 18-04-2012, 17:16.

Comment

Hi Tony,
                          Yes I think that is the one, typical French thinking the height warning is on the low roof, so it cannot be seen until you have crashed!.
                          I think the low roof is called the Hopper.
                          The 'Camping Car' shown in the photograph is French!!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X