As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screw-in awning pegs

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screw-in awning pegs

The secondhand awning I've bought has screw-in pegs. I've never used them before. Does anyone know if you actually screw them in or just bash-em like any old peg...? And are they OK for hard-standings...?

Doug

I haven't used them but have been looking into them recently. The general idea I got is that if on hard standing, you screw them in using a corded or cordless drill (take a charged spare battery) and that they grip better, although some reviews said just to bash them in using a lump hammer and forego the extra grip given by the thread. Some reviews suggested taking a slightly smaller masonry drill bit to make a pilot hole first to help get them in straight. I guess on grass they can just be hammered in.

In the end I bought normal hard standing hammer in pegs.

Incidentally, lots of people suggest buying the longest coach bolts you can find, and some washers, and using them as drill in pegs at a fraction of the cost of proper ones.
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

I had a chat about these with the sales staff at TAM Leisure camping supplies,they said,the idea is to screw them in with a rechargable drill,You can get a hand grip if you dont want a drill but its not very good.The yellow plastic ones are OK on soft ground,but you need the metal ones on hardstanding,dont hammer them,the plastic ones will snap and the metal ones will bend.The Metal are best especially with the 24inch extension socket and a high torque drill.they are very good if you have back trouble or can kneel down.Pricey!
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

The ones I've got don't have a "nut" head so can't be drilled. There is also a "gizmo" which I assum is for taking them out but may also be used for screwing them in manually. Or it may be a Peruvian nose-cleaner...Anyone have a clue what it is...?

Comment

I have absolutely no idea!!!

EDIT: yes I do, it's a tent peg puller!!

http://www.spares2you.co.uk/Tent-Peg...ed=0CHkQgwgwBQ
          Last edited by glenw; 18-05-2012, 15:01.
          Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Are the pegs actually threaded or do they just have grooves around them? I have seen some hammer in pegs with grooves.

Knew I had seen some, just couldn't think where. Then i remembered, I have just bought some!! Do they look like this?

Last edited by glenw; 18-05-2012, 15:12.

Comment

Glen

Yes - I think that could be it....:so happy:

Doug

Comment

They are bash in with a hammer pegs, it says something similar on the box anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
                  They are bash in with a hammer pegs, it says something similar on the box anyway.
                  But use a "proper" hammer! not a rubber mallet or you will get nowhere fast!
                  derek b and Babs

Comment

I have got screw in pegs and they are brilliant. Having angina I am not too fond of hammering pegs in and tugging them out so I use a cordless drill (also use it to wind the legs down) The first ones I got were called 'wurmi' they are red plastic. I still have them but only use metal ones now. If i remember correctly they are by towsure (sorry they are in the caravan in storage) and are vastly better. Much stronger and very much better thing to fasten the elastics to.
                    Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
                      Incidentally, lots of people suggest buying the longest coach bolts you can find, and some washers, and using them as drill in pegs at a fraction of the cost of proper ones.
                      That should surely be a coach screw rather than a coach bolt? A coach bolt has a parallel shank with a relatively fine thread, capable of taking a nut.

A coach screw has a tapered shank with a coarse thread - like a screw.

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                        That should surely be a coach screw rather than a coach bolt? A coach bolt has a parallel shank with a relatively fine thread, capable of taking a nut.

A coach screw has a tapered shank with a coarse thread - like a screw.
                        I'm sure you are right Paul, I stand corrected.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X