As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scotland and heating

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotland and heating

Just returned from a week in Scotland.... and it was extremily cold and wet. Spent three days off hook up with no facilities and I was so glad of the diesal heating I had installed. Temperature at night fell to 5 degrees C... Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr but scenery stunning.

Fitting a heater to the Romahome was absolutely the right decision. It is so easy to just fire up the heating if needed.

twin1

Originally posted by Tentpeg View Post
    Just returned from a week in Scotland.... and it was extremily cold and wet. Spent three days off hook up with no facilities and I was so glad of the diesal heating I had installed. Temperature at night fell to 5 degrees C... Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr but scenery stunning.

Fitting a heater to the Romahome was absolutely the right decision. It is so easy to just fire up the heating if needed.
    So glad you enjoyed scotland . You must have been warm and snug with the new heating. we are in Devon at the moment and its still heating on in the evenings

Comment

heating

Hi Jenny

Glad you enjoyed your trip and your heating worked well. One of the difficulties I have with it is making sure I have enough fuel to keep it running.
      Apparently they are all slightly different . Some need one third full tank some more or less. Any other diesel heater owners have any thoughts on this?

At the moment my leisure battery is beginning to give up the ghost. It will still start if I turn over the engine or am on hook up and will still run the lighting so am hanging on before replacing.

Lizzie

Comment

Oh dear. We're heading to Shetlands and Orkneys next weekend, and are probably not going to have hook up, and we don't have a diesel heater. But we did go to the Shetlands a couple of years ago in January and survived, so I'm sure we'll do the same again!
        Where did you go Tentpeg?

Comment

I visited Edingburgh, Kirkenkilloch (visiting Falkirk Wheel, Glasgow, Wallace Memorial & Stirloch), Fort William, Killin, Home.

You will survive.. have done worse in a tent... but with a heater had no misery and was positively comfortable.. bit of condensation I noted under the doormats at the footwell and suspect under the carpet runner running up the camper.... hardly surprising. But me was very snug and not cold.

Good news though the forecast now is much better and improved outlook.

However I would advise all to have a diesal heater.
          Last edited by Tentpeg; 20-05-2012, 21:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Aileen View Post
            Oh dear. We're heading to Shetlands and Orkneys next weekend, and are probably not going to have hook up, and we don't have a diesel heater. But we did go to the Shetlands a couple of years ago in January and survived, so I'm sure we'll do the same again!
            Where did you go Tentpeg?
            ------------------------------------------------------
            Orkneys - I can recommend a visit to the tomb of the Eagles, a fascinating historical site:
            http://www.tomboftheeagles.co.uk/info.htm

The key archeologist involved in the excavation was John Hedges, whose book can be purchased on Amazon. Say, 'Hi' to him from me if you happen to meet him! He's an old friend.

Also the Italian Chapel, which is beautiful: http://www.visitorkney.com/italianchapel/
            Last edited by NomadSue; 20-05-2012, 22:32.
            Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Thanks Nomad Sue and Tentpeg.
              We're really looking forward to our holiday and will hopefully check out the recommendations, thanks Nomad Sue. Tentpeg we saw the Falkirk Wheel a couple of years ago, it's impressive. I'm ashamed to say that we haven't done too much of Glasgow, beyond regularly doing an overnight at Strathclyde Country Park on our way home. In my defence, Glasgow is my home town, but I've forgotten how long I've been away for! (30 ish years!)
              Aileen

Comment

We only did a whistlestop of Glasgow....It has the most fantastic art museum.... went to see the Salvidor Dali painting that is housed there of Christ on the cross.... could have spent all day there easily...Worth visiting for that alone.

Also visited the People's palace in Glasgow and had coffee in the conservatory amounst the banana plants etc.

Used the Glasgow tour bus which is 11 pounds valid for 2 days and you hop on and off at will .. buses every 20mins. Also huge shopping centre..... huge ... huge.

Comment

I wonder if we passed each other at all?! I saw a C15 Romahome at Durness, two R40s but no smaller vans anywhere on the trip.

I'm still up in the Highlands (with internet access for only the 2nd time in two weeks so am completely out of touch...) having spent the evening until an hour ago on Cairngorm Mountain until moving into my current wilding spot (only used sites twice). I endured the storm a week ago on the west coast at Shieldaig along with 4 days of torrential driving rain. It's averaged about 2 degrees with a windchill I'd rather not even think about but I've enjoyed every moment, particularly around John o'Groats and Durness where the sky was clear blue with superb visibility to view the stunning scenery. Yesterday was dull and cloudy but today has been just like spring (not summer!) - bright, sunny and warm with only one set of thermals needed instead of the previous two!

Like you, I've also had condensation in the rear footwell which had me worried for a while because I thought I had another leak. BTW is condensation an ongoing problem in your van? I removed the carpeting and lifted the lino to find the ply floor quite rotten and needs replacing then thoroughly sealing.

Hope you enjoyed your trip. I begin my return journey tomorrow, allowing 3 days to get home.

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
                    I wonder if we passed each other at all?! I saw a C15 Romahome at Durness, two R40s but no smaller vans anywhere on the trip.

I'm still up in the Highlands (with internet access for only the 2nd time in two weeks so am completely out of touch...) having spent the evening until an hour ago on Cairngorm Mountain until moving into my current wilding spot (only used sites twice). I endured the storm a week ago on the west coast at Shieldaig along with 4 days of torrential driving rain. It's averaged about 2 degrees with a windchill I'd rather not even think about but I've enjoyed every moment, particularly around John o'Groats and Durness where the sky was clear blue with superb visibility to view the stunning scenery. Yesterday was dull and cloudy but today has been just like spring (not summer!) - bright, sunny and warm with only one set of thermals needed instead of the previous two!

Like you, I've also had condensation in the rear footwell which had me worried for a while because I thought I had another leak. BTW is condensation an ongoing problem in your van? I removed the carpeting and lifted the lino to find the ply floor quite rotten and needs replacing then thoroughly sealing.

Hope you enjoyed your trip. I begin my return journey tomorrow, allowing 3 days to get home.
                    ------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sounds a great experience though a pity about the inclement weather. condensation does seem to be a problem in these small vans, doesn't it? Ian advised me to open the flap in my roof part but then that could be a source of another draught, surely?
                    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

If no EHU, try just boiling the kettle (the gas cooker will heat the van whilst it's about it) and then filling hot water bottles. Usually if you get into bed warm (bedsocks advised) you will stay warm..

If it gets very cold, put a dressing gown on over your bedclothes and get back in. Or put all your clothes back on if you're still cold.

I have a little gadget that fits over a cooker gas ring and turns it into a radiant heater, but you can't leave it on all night, its just for a quick warm up. The review is in the gadget section somewhere.

Loved the Orkneys when I went there. You must go see the Ring of Brodgar as well, think you can overnight/wild there on the carpark.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2012 View Post
                        ------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sounds a great experience though a pity about the inclement weather. condensation does seem to be a problem in these small vans, doesn't it? Ian advised me to open the flap in my roof part but then that could be a source of another draught, surely?
                        Not a matter of keeping the draughts out, but letting out the wet air as it warms up and starts coming out of soft furnishings, curtains and the like. If the roof is open, the wet warm stuff will find its way out there, rather than condense back onto your windows and soft furnishings again.

Comment

Problem with using the cooker as a heater is that burning hydrocarbons (e.g. propane or butane) creates a lot of condensation. The hydrogen combines with oxygen from the air and becomes water vapour, which then condenses on the walls and contents of your van unless the ventilation is adequate.

We usually keep the door of our R20 open if using the gas cooker unless the weather completely rules that out. In which case we'll try to cook something quick!

A specifically designed heater vents all the exhaust and "products of combustion" outside.

I suppose "needs must" if the alternative is to freeze, but you're best giving the van a real good airing out as soon as possible afterwards.

We're scheduled to arrive in Shetland on 10th June (same day as the Olympic Torch we find!), hopefully it will be a bit warmer by then. Shouldn't need a lot of lighting I suppose!
                          Geoff

Comment

The cooker is a non vented device... yes I know there are lots of draughts but personally I am not at all keen on using a cooker as a heater .... it is not designed for that & yes it would give off a lot of moisture.

My diesal heating was fitted professionally, there is no naked flame it just blows out heated air and I feel safe using it. Yes it cost me but it is great, also I prefer it to the standard fit as there is no hot water cylinder which I do think is not necessary and involves much more fiddling around setting up for the winter.

I will have to get all the carpets up this weekend and air them but the condensation seems to just have taken place on floor only which is not surprising given the temperatures and the constant heating, the moisture has to go somewhere. No have not noticed this problem before but it really was very cold and wet.

Comment

Originally posted by Tentpeg View Post
                              I will have to get all the carpets up this weekend and air them but the condensation seems to just have taken place on floor only which is not surprising given the temperatures and the constant heating, the moisture has to go somewhere. No have not noticed this problem before but it really was very cold and wet.
                              The condensation is my van appears to be only on the floor which is understandable as this will be permanently cold and is also subject to wet boots etc traipsing in additional moisture (even though I've been adding sheets of newspaper on top of the doormats in wet weather to keep everything as clean and dry as possible). I can't help wondering how many other vans have rotten floors which lie undiscovered beneath the lino... I'm a self-confessed fresh-air freak and always have the door/windows open when practical to create a through-draught. It was only by chance that I dicovered the rotten floor.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X