As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bedding feels damp

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bedding feels damp

Hi. When I camp without EHU, I notice how cold and sometimes damp the bedding feels in the evening, just like when you leave washing out on the line too long in the evening.

This is even when I haven't done any cooking in the van that would generate condensation, especially if the door is closed / partially closed.

I suppose that, if I were to leave the roof down and door closed, there might not be such a problem, but that doesn't fit in with the idea of leaving the bed and van ready to use early in the evening, before going out for a walk or whatever. And I really don't want to have to mess with putting the roof up and down all the time. I was wild camping at the weekend with a group, and the owner of a much bigger van moaned because she had left a window open with the result all her bedding felt wet as well. (It was misty that evening, out in Ribblehead quarry.)

Using a sleeping bag liner and a hot water bottle helps me to feel warm enough to sleep, but, in the absence of a heating system or EHU for the electric heater, does anyone have any helpful hints, please?
    Carpe diem! :)

hi

yes put wife to bed first they are as good as a hot water bottel tom

Comment

Originally posted by diggdeep View Post
      Like it!

Sounds like the stories of posh public schools where, apparently, a long time ago, little boys were used as bed warmers, toilet seat warmers, etc, obviously getting out / off before the senior boy wanted to retire.

Comment

Originally posted by diggdeep View Post

Comment

Ho Ho at previous suggestions!!

I suspect that this problem is something to do with the van being left for a long time overwinter. I've had the same thing in mine, especially where the sleeping bags, pillows are stored in the underseat lockers. Which is where the air ducts are, hence cold damp night air getting in.

I store my seat cushions, ordinary cushions and sleeping bag, etc in the house over winter, because they will suck up the damp.

Today here is lovely and sunshiney, so I've opened the window, the back door, upped the pop top, opened the lockers and I'm just letting this lovely sunshine air the caravan.

On previous occasions when away and it's been damp, I've got out my sleeping bag and pillows a couple of hours before bedtime to air.

Other than opening it all up and a warm day, just connect to the EHU and put a heater on (I have a small oil-filled radiator) and leave a window open so that any condensation and damp can escape.

Comment

[QUOTE=jayjay;43481]Ho Ho at previous suggestions!!

I suspect that this problem is something to do with the van being left for a long time overwinter. I've had the same thing in mine, especially where the sleeping bags, pillows are stored in the underseat lockers. Which is where the air ducts are, hence cold damp night air getting in.
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Thanks for these suggestions, Jayjay, but all the bedding is stored in the (centrally heated) house and used quite often for overnight guests. I wondered if the problem could be to do with it becoming damp when exposed to the evening air when spread out on the bed. The actual van was used intermittently over the winter.

But I'll try taking all the seat cushions out and airing them in this lovely sun, as well as the duvets, memory foam mattresses etc. i think I'll have to be more careful about ventilation when cooking as well, though I do normally open the door. There are some additional ventilation openings in the elevating roof that I must use.

Comment

Hi,

Airing bedding outside on nice days helps as had this problem in my caravanning days also. Before Woolworths closed, managed to purchase some 12v electric blankets which are switched on about 10 mins before getting into bed then switched off when you get in (although have fixed to a power pack on really cold nights to leave on longer) lovely and toasty:so happy:

Ann & Rosie

Comment

Condensation?

How's this for a theory? Hydrocarbons (gas for cooking-heating) create water vapour (not steam from the kettle... that's different but is also a factor) as a by product of their combustion. People exhale as much as half a pint of water vapour each night as they sleep, which is probably why the first 'cuppa' of the day is so welcome... you are likely feeling a bit dehydrated. Water vapour will condense on cool surfaces, this is most evident on aluminium door surrounds but will occur anywhere and everywhere. Package these processes up in a sealed box (camper, tent or caravan) and it's no wonder that dampness is sensed. It takes much longer to remove the condensation than it does to create it. and it could be that those who suffer this dampness are, despite their best efforts to clear it, constantly 'playing catch-up'.

On long motorhome trips (eg. 6 weeks to Romania and back) we used to string washing lines inside the vehicle and set up the ventilation so that there was a decent flow-through the space ... it was remarkably effective at drying clothes. It also kept the upholstery pretty sweet. I wonder if you were to try to ventilate the van when on the move (weather permitting) it might help? Opening up all the storage spaces and putting a dehumidifier in for a day or so before winter lay-up would be a good plan if you can get hold of one ... they can be hired. A low-tech solution would to buy a bulk pack of Silica Gel 4.5lbs can be had for about £80 see http://tinyurl.com/cajqll9 and put it in the sealed-up van where it will absorb water vapour. It can be gently dried out in an oven and used again and again.

Comment

As someone that lives on a boat, this is a problem I have all the time. I think it's an insulation problem; it doesn't happen as much to my friends who have more modern boats with sprayfoamed insulation which means a more regular temperature.

There are three solutions, all of which are a pain in the bum.

1. Better insulation.
                  2. Dehumidifiers. These require mains; there are 12v ones, but they draw a lot and they're rubbish.
                  3. Sealing your bedding in vacuum bags until you need it.

Personally, I just live with the slightly damp feeling. My dog is a great hot water bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by chris667 View Post
                    As someone that lives on a boat, this is a problem I have all the time. I think it's an insulation problem; it doesn't happen as much to my friends who have more modern boats with sprayfoamed insulation which means a more regular temperature.

There are three solutions, all of which are a pain in the bum.

1. Better insulation.
                    2. Dehumidifiers. These require mains; there are 12v ones, but they draw a lot and they're rubbish.
                    3. Sealing your bedding in vacuum bags until you need it.

Personally, I just live with the slightly damp feeling. My dog is a great hot water bottle.
                    ----------------------------------------------
                    Thanks for the suggestions. The damp is more apparent if the evenings are damp and misty outside.

1.Am trying hard to make sure the van is aired as thorougly as possible during the daytime.
                    2.Have put out one of those pots of crystals that are supposed to absorb the moisture in the air.
                    3.Am rolling up the bedding during the daytime, so that the bits I touch directly at night time are tucked inside. Might air it outside if the weather is hot.
                    4.Now that we have experienced the delights of EHU, will use the elec heater when the temperature

Anyway, not a problem during the GLORIOUS weather!

Comment

I had the same problem when wilding with the same group at Stonehenge last October. I left my roof vent open and a thick mist descended. On returning to the van, everything was soaked - and so was I. I spent a miserable night shivering without even a gas ring to prepare a hot water bottle and only a thin summer sleeping bag. It was a mistake.

I think the key is to avoid any cotton or absorbent fabrics which can absorb moisture. I repeated the trip later in November but this time took my usual polyester sleeping bag and despite the cold and damp outside, my van (Kangoo panel van) was fine.

Hope you enjoyed Ribblehead (were you in any of the pics?). I hope to camp there some day myself.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2012 View Post
                        ----------------------------------------------
                        Thanks for the suggestions. The damp is more apparent if the evenings are damp and misty outside.

1.Am trying hard to make sure the van is aired as thorougly as possible during the daytime.
                        2.Have put out one of those pots of crystals that are supposed to absorb the moisture in the air.
                        3.Am rolling up the bedding during the daytime, so that the bits I touch directly at night time are tucked inside. Might air it outside if the weather is hot.
                        4.Now that we have experienced the delights of EHU, will use the elec heater when the temperature

Anyway, not a problem during the GLORIOUS weather!
                        I thought your teletubby outfit was leak proof! not so?
                        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
                          I think the key is to avoid any cotton or absorbent fabrics which can absorb moisture. I repeated the trip later in November but this time took my usual polyester sleeping bag and despite the cold and damp outside, my van (Kangoo panel van) was fine.

Hope you enjoyed Ribblehead (were you in any of the pics?). I hope to camp there some day myself.
                          ------------------------------------------
                          Oh dear, re your miserable night. Not fun. I wonder if I could avoid the problem partly if i were to put the roof down on damp evenings, reducing the 'tent-like feeling inside.

Yes, I REALLY enjoyed Ribblehead - a lovely bunch of women. Great characters. Jenny is SO knowledgeable and able to talk about ANYTHING! She had us in stitches. We had a real laugh, talking until well after midnight. Actually came home sunburnt from the sitting around chatting on the morning after the night before!
                          Unfortunately, their next meet coincides with our SMHF meet at Bala, which I have already committed to. But I will make a real effort to catch the next one, if at all possible.
                          And yes, I'm the idiot wearing the bright green tee-shirt, leggings and big grin.
                          Last edited by NomadSue; 30-05-2012, 23:26.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2012 View Post
                            ------------------------------------------
                            Oh dear, re your miserable night. Not fun. I wonder if I could avoid the problem partly if i were to put the roof down on damp evenings, reducing the 'tent-like feeling inside.

Yes, I REALLY enjoyed Ribblehead - a lovely bunch of women. Great characters. Jenny is SO knowledgeable and able to talk about ANYTHING! She had us in stitches. We had a real laugh, talking until well after midnight. Actually came home sunburnt from the sitting around chatting on the morning after the night before!
                            Unfortunately, their next meet coincides with our SMHF meet at Bala, which I have already committed to. But I will make a real effort to catch the next one, if at all possible.
                            And yes, I'm the idiot wearing the bright green tee-shirt, leggings and big grin.
                            Ahhh, yes - spotted you! I think keeping the roof down on damp evenings would make a big difference. I don't tend to raise mine in the winter - but have to in warmer weather for ventilation as the airflow is minimal on the window 'night vent' position.

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
                              I don't tend to raise mine in the winter - but have to in warmer weather for ventilation as the airflow is minimal on the window 'night vent' position.
                              This is where the other version of the R20 wins hands down...as well as the extra storage space. I sometime wish I'd gone for the higher version as I believe it can still get into most carparks.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X