As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

this summers big trip

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this summers big trip

Hi all, this summers big trip in my Honda acty is to scotland and Northern Ireland. we plan to travel from Nottingham to Torver, coniston, then on to Silloth and St Bees head, then on to Annan and Kirkcudbright, then Stranraer area and then cross to larne, hoping to visit Giants causeway, Raithlin Island, portrush and portstewart, moving on to Lough Neagh and strangford Lough. Then back to troon and Ayr and surrounding area, calling in on Hadrians wall, Carlisle before home. That should take us just under 3 weeks!!
    Has anyone got any hints or tips or does and don'ts for us?

many thanks Shaz x

Hi Shaz, some trip, nice one, let us know how you get on it sounds fantastic, happy and safe trip.
    Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
    'Live without regrets'

Comment

Sounds like your big summer trip is well planned, just enjoy.
      derek b and Babs

Comment

Sounds good to me - I made it to the Outer Hebrides with a similar SMH!

If you are planning on using an awning, get some delta pegs and storm straps, you never know when the wind will kick up.

Launderettes are few and far between, so take a bucket and some acdo soap tablets, and pegs, you can soak things overnight, and a quick rub through in the morning, before wringing out and pegging out to dry.

Avoid inland near water sites, stick to the coast, you don't get a lot of midges if there's a sea breeze.

Take a lot of care where you park up in N. Ireland, best not to wild camp unless there are a few of you in the same area. I know some ppl will knock me for saying this, but there was a horrible incident with some campervanners a few years ago near the ferry port. Better safe than sorry.

I will be at the THS C&CC at Sandhead then C&CC Culzean Castle for 2 weeks at the beginning of July, so I might be to you as you pass by!

Comment

Originally posted by satchmo_shaz View Post
          Hi all, this summers big trip in my Honda acty is to scotland and Northern Ireland. we plan to travel from Nottingham to Torver, coniston, then on to Silloth and St Bees head, then on to Annan and Kirkcudbright, then Stranraer area and then cross to larne, hoping to visit Giants causeway, Raithlin Island, portrush and portstewart, moving on to Lough Neagh and strangford Lough. Then back to troon and Ayr and surrounding area, calling in on Hadrians wall, Carlisle before home. That should take us just under 3 weeks!!
          Has anyone got any hints or tips or does and don'ts for us?

many thanks Shaz x
          Sounds a lovely trip. Don't forget Dunluce Castle and the rope bridge (Carrick -a-Rede). We will be in Portstewart 3rd week of July. So if you are around then, wave at our R20! Have been reliably informed by a local resident that it has rained solidly all July and August for the last 3 years. Let's hope you and I have better weather!
          Safe travels.
          Carpe diem! :)

Comment

many thanks, pegs and bucket packed along with travel wash, we dont have an awning
            All sites booked including gale Brow, West moss side Annan, solway view, Sandmill farm sandhead, Gleanariff forest if we can get in, charlies hideaway Armoy, delamont country park, Maidens in Ayrshire and finally Irthington Carlisle

Comment

van has had new exhaust, and I have sorted the little leak in the side window
              Roll on monday morning!!!

Comment

Have a good trip Shaz.

We want the full run down of your holiday and of course lots of pictures when you get back and, if you can, keep us informed of your progress during your holiday, that way we can live it with you.
                Graham
                Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Do's and Don'ts...

Do enjoy your trip and Don't get too wet!

Have a good time!

Comment

Have a lovely time,safe journey and happy camping. Think of us soggy lot when you are sunbathing up there
                    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

hmm just got out my heavy duty waterproof and wellies, just in case

Comment

Go dté tú slán - I think that is the Irish for 'May you go safely)!
                        Mary

Comment

Take levelling blocks!

I can highly recommend the caravan club certified site at Feigh Farm (an easy drive from the Giant's Causeway). We were made REALLY welcome - a charming, really friendly and helpful hostess, and nice clean facilities. And we left a card for the forum there!

We were lucky with the pitch given to us at Cushendall Caravan Park, just yards from the sea, but most pitches there were not really to our taste.

There seem to be a lot of places where you can park for free, along the North Antrim Coastal road. Just be careful to check the signs for the bigger seaside carparks eg one at Portrush which says 'parking restricted to one hour, from 9pm to 9am, Mon - Sat.

In Portstewart, there is a nice carpark where you could camp overnight for free, by Atlantic Circle, a back road just 50 yards from the harbour.

We hadn't realised that July 12th (THE big day for Orange Men - no, not men who have been tango'd!) is actually the start of the July 12th fortnight, a block of time traditionally used for builders and many others to take their major holidays. So many touristy places are busier thn usual.

There are lots of National Trust places to visit so it's worth taking your cards if you are members.

Enjoy your trip. X

Comment

Seem to avoided the rain mostly and when it has rained it rained at might
                            Now in an almost deserted glenariff forest park
                            The crossing was quiet too, only one campervan and that was us!
                            Ttfn shaz x

Comment

Originally posted by satchmo_shaz View Post
                              Seem to avoided the rain mostly and when it has rained it rained at might
                              Now in an almost deserted glenariff forest park
                              The crossing was quiet too, only one campervan and that was us!
                              Ttfn shaz x
                              Lovely. It's beautiful there. Now don't forget my suggestion (challenge??) re the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge! If I can do it, the so can you.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X