As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aren't the nights drawing in??

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aren't the nights drawing in??

Especially when you spent Midsummer Night in Lerwick!

Just back from Shetland - will report and post photos when I've whittled down the 700 or so that we took - particularly the numerous shots of patches of sky/sea just vacated by a Gannet/Oystercatcher /Bonxie / Otter/Seal etc.!

Geoff
    Geoff

OK, now the washing and gardening have been caught up with I've finally managed to start filtering the 800 plus photos taken on our recent trip.

Here's a selection (50 or so) from the first 3 days to be going on with.

Open the link, click on the first shot, and when that opens click on the little ">>" tab by the top right of the picture. Then there are arrows to go back and forth. Or you could click slideshow, but I found that changed too quickly.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1132415...PyMh9WMmeP2ag#

Brief description, we arrived on Sunday 10th, purely by chance the day that the Olympic Flame made its appearance in Shetland. All the festivities centred on Clickimin Leisure Centre which is where we'd booked our first night's pitch.

One of the attractions of Shetland is the music and we were very well placed for that, especially one band going by the name of "Fullsceilidh Spelemanslag"!

The second word is Norwegian, (and translates loosely as "band"!), though they are Shetlanders themselves. They were excellent and you can find several clips on You Tube if you're interested. We were impressed enough to seek out a CD before we came home.

The concert was ended by "Pete Stack and the Rayburns". Their Grand Finale was a medley of Frankie goes to Hollywood hits, all interestingly interspersed with the chorus from "Donald , where's yer Troosers?"!

Day 2 we travelled north, via two ferries and the east side of the Isle of Yell, to Unst for three nights on our booked pitch at Gardiesfauld Hostel in Uyeasound (pron. You-ee- sound).
    The pitches are in a gorgeous position on the sea-shore, and for £12 a night inc EHU, plus use of all Hostel facilities (except the beds of course), it was very good value.

Day 3 we aimed to go north until we fell off the end! Well, not quite, but you know what I mean and the pics tell the story

I'll continue with some more in a few days.

Geoff
    Geoff

Comment

Fabulous photos, they really capture the spirit of the islands.

Comment

Superb pictures Geoff, keep 'em coming.....
        Andyvan

Comment

Oh god, these are wonderful. More please.

One afternoon a couple of years ago my mother and I sat on the cliff overlooking Muckle Flugga and realised we were the most northerly grannies in the whole of the UK!

Can't wait to see the rest - thank you so much.

Jan

Comment

The wild Ones.

We are off from here in Norway via Holland to the Shetland so its nice to see your pics, so if you see the red romahome go by say hi. fantastic pics ill take some also then its how to get em on this place.
            Originally posted by Artoo0 View Post
            OK, now the washing and gardening have been caught up with I've finally managed to start filtering the 800 plus photos taken on our recent trip.

Here's a selection (50 or so) from the first 3 days to be going on with.

Open the link, click on the first shot, and when that opens click on the little ">>" tab by the top right of the picture. Then there are arrows to go back and forth. Or you could click slideshow, but I found that changed too quickly.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1132415...PyMh9WMmeP2ag#

Brief description, we arrived on Sunday 10th, purely by chance the day that the Olympic Flame made its appearance in Shetland. All the festivities centred on Clickimin Leisure Centre which is where we'd booked our first night's pitch.

One of the attractions of Shetland is the music and we were very well placed for that, especially one band going by the name of "Fullsceilidh Spelemanslag"!

The second word is Norwegian, (and translates loosely as "band"!), though they are Shetlanders themselves. They were excellent and you can find several clips on You Tube if you're interested. We were impressed enough to seek out a CD before we came home.

The concert was ended by "Pete Stack and the Rayburns". Their Grand Finale was a medley of Frankie goes to Hollywood hits, all interestingly interspersed with the chorus from "Donald , where's yer Troosers?"!

Day 2 we travelled north, via two ferries and the east side of the Isle of Yell, to Unst for three nights on our booked pitch at Gardiesfauld Hostel in Uyeasound (pron. You-ee- sound).
            The pitches are in a gorgeous position on the sea-shore, and for £12 a night inc EHU, plus use of all Hostel facilities (except the beds of course), it was very good value.

Day 3 we aimed to go north until we fell off the end! Well, not quite, but you know what I mean and the pics tell the story

I'll continue with some more in a few days.

Geoff
            Roger Green.Roger Green.

Comment

Super pictures. I am really taken by Unst Bus shelter!

http://www.unstbusshelter.shetland.co.uk/index.html

Also the van pitches at Uyeasound, Isle of Unst. What a view!
              Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Beautiful landscapes. Enjoyed the photos
                Jessie

Comment

Another 50(ish) to go at!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1132415...zZhsz2nb-imgE#

Weds 13th, a tour of the south of Unst, first to Muness Castle and then on to Sandwick beach. An excavation here featured in an episode of "Coast" when Alice Roberts examined a skeleton that had been uncovered. The diggers had christened it "The Pictish Princess", but Alice identified it as male! The excavation has been backfilled to preserve it. Now they just have to stop the sea eroding it!
                  Next to Lunda Wick. where we parked by the cemetery (a useful hint when driving around remote places with single-track roads. There's always somewhere to park, and/or turn round, at the cemeteries!), stopping en route to take photos of Shetland's largest standing stone (reputedly!). From there up the hill to Underhoull Broch and another excavated farmstead, this one still exposed.

Thursday 14th
                  Back northwards to Haroldswick for Unst Boat Haven, then lunch in the Northern Lights Bistro next door - their "Gourmet Bacon Sandwich" was superb! One of the other customers reckoned there was an otter by some rocks about thirty yards off shore. After a bit of watching, we weren't convinced!
                  Then the Unst Heritage Centre, followed by Norwick Beach.
                  Keen of Hamar Nature reserve, a barren sort of place (serpentine debris) but famous for some rare plants.

Friday 15th
                  Time to head south via the ferry to Yell where we spotted a Norwegian couple taking photos of the Roma. We gave them a guided tour and a SMHF card!

Roger.

'Fraid we're back home now so unlikely to see you unless you travel through Stockport. We're already planning for our next visit though!

More in a few days.
                  Last edited by Artoo0; 02-07-2012, 11:37.
                  Geoff

Comment

Super piccies. I've added a few 'likes' and comments and look forward to the next batch.

Comment

Brilliant photos. Thanks Sue for the links about the bus shelter.
                      Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Yell and North Mainland

Here's the latest batch, before we set off to brave the weather at Delamere Forest C&CC site. Hope it bucks up for the "buskelele" tomorrow!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1132415...OfN3umepe74HQ#

Geoff
                        Geoff

Comment

I really enjoyed looking at the photos, thanks for posting! Brought back memories of a tenting trip up the west coast, really must go back to Scotland

Comment

Here's some more pics.

Took a while to get back round to them after the Buskulele what with one thing and another.

A small number are from our previous trip as we didn't get back to all the places we visited that time.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1132415...PLx9iyn43xxQE#
                            Geoff

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X