Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your favourite site?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Your favourite site?

    Do you have a favourite campsite? If so, what is it about it that you like?

    Until recently my favourite campsite was Longnor Wood in Derbyshire - http://www.longnorwood.co.uk/ a beautiful tranquil site, immaculately laid out and kept and yet despite its ordered nature it always manages to feel relaxed and stress free. The views are stunning, the walking is superb and perhaps most importantly there are 3 excellent pubs within walking distance :so happy:

    However, it has dawned on me this morning that Longnor is an adults only site and with a little camper of my own on the way in November its unlikely im going to be going back there for a very long time

    I shall just have to spend next year assessing candidates to be my new favourite, a task im looking forward too
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

    #2
    So many favourites it's difficult to choose. I think for me it's more where they are really. I love Slapton Sands C&CC for where it is but not for the facilities with stupid big louvre doors which are very drafty. Another favourite is Park Coppice CC site at Coniston with great facilities and a higgledy piggledy site but no views.
    I also find that it's where you are pitched that can make a difference. I love Charmouth C&CC site but I like the terraces with a bit more open view sooner than an enclosed area.
    Keswick and Milarrochy Bay C&CC both with great views of Lake/Loch

    I just want to be anywhere except in Nottingham in the rain!
    Regards, Robinjim.

    Comment


      #3
      We like the CC site at St Davids South Wales. The views are suberb and the walking is sublime.

      Comment


        #4
        I have favourite camping spots at Beaulieu, John o'Groats, Durness, Keswick, Pembrokeshire and other areas but none are on a campsite!

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by karenw View Post
          I have favourite camping spots at Beaulieu, John o'Groats, Durness, Keswick, Pembrokeshire and other areas but none are on a campsite!
          I'd love to know how you get on with wild camping, ive never tried it but would like to. Do you just rock up and hope not to get caught or do you have permission in known spots?
          Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Huff View Post
            I'd love to know how you get on with wild camping, ive never tried it but would like to. Do you just rock up and hope not to get caught or do you have permission in known spots?
            I have permission on the private Exbury estate at Beaulieu but the rest of the time I wild. Wilding is legal in Scotland and allowed in parts of the Brecon Beacons. In other areas, I just park discreetly and am largely unseen. I use campsites or CLs for 1 night in 5-7 at most, but only when desperate for a shower or batteries need recharging.

            Comment


              #7
              My favourite site is
              #1Lundy but it's tricky to get to by Romahome.
              #2Kingsbury water park is also up there cos I disappear for a day on the canal to the .99p shop in Tamworth.
              #3 Bristol CC site cos I visit Poundland.
              #4Uig sands on Lewis cos I can get an adrenal rush when the tide comes in too fast.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by karenw View Post
                I have permission on the private Exbury estate at Beaulieu but the rest of the time I wild. Wilding is legal in Scotland and allowed in parts of the Brecon Beacons. In other areas, I just park discreetly and am largely unseen. I use campsites or CLs for 1 night in 5-7 at most, but only when desperate for a shower or batteries need recharging.
                I shall have to look into it more, however I doubt i'll be trying it any time soon with the baby on the way.

                Thanks for the info
                Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Huff View Post
                  I shall have to look into it more, however I doubt i'll be trying it any time soon with the baby on the way.
                  It might actually be easier and more practical to try wilding now rather than when you do have a baby!

                  Often the easiest way to start is to look for a few spots close to home then go for it and have your first trip enjoying the freedom and independence. It goes without saying that you should never make a noise, upset locals, move on if asked and always leave an area cleaner and tidier than when you arrived (which can include picking up litter left by others).

                  Enjoy!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by karenw View Post
                    It might actually be easier and more practical to try wilding now rather than when you do have a baby!
                    I've no doubt it would but we have no time to try between now and then sadly.
                    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      favourite sites

                      My top wild spots are the ARDNAMURCHAN pennisula Scotland.ACHILL ISLAND Ireland. My top spots are CC totnes,CC Littlehamton,CC Newcastleton

                      Comment


                        #12
                        With my head still spinning from the recent Shetland trip, I'm giving my vote to Gardiesfauld on Unst. Breathtaking location (see pics on other thread), EHU and use of all the hostel facilities for £12 a night.
                        Geoff

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I have to admit my favourite site is Teversal, this is the first site I ever camped on some years ago and love to go back now and then, the toilet block is one of the best I have ever visited, the pub with fantastic food is just a short stroll from the site entrance, fantastic walks and cycle rides, can't fault it.
                          Next is my local site "Skegness Sands" with it's private gate to the sandy beach, love the sea air, fish and chips, bread and butter, mushey peas, and coffee in Skegness town for just £5.50 good value at todays prices. love it. Then a CL Hunger Hill Caravan Site http://www.hungerhillcl.co.uk/ the link says it all, again very local to me but with the price of fuel so high, and being on a pension, long haul trips have to be planned with family visits in mind to make it cost effective.
                          Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                          'Live without regrets'

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by karenw View Post

                            Often the easiest way to start is to look for a few spots close to home then go for it and have your first trip enjoying the freedom and independence. It goes without saying that you should never make a noise, upset locals, move on if asked and always leave an area cleaner and tidier than when you arrived (which can include picking up litter left by others).

                            Enjoy!

                            Hello Karen,
                            As novices to motorhoming we do like the idea of wild camping, but what do you do about simple things like filling up with water, and emptying the chemical loo? Do you just make for a town and find a public convenience?
                            Hope you don't mind me asking!
                            Rita (Romagirl)

                            Comment


                              #15
                              My favorite camp site has got to be Polstead as we can be there and relaxing within 1.5 hrs. Also any camp site where we are allowed to do our metal detecting ! I guess you have all seen the hoard that was found on Jersey ? Dream dream dream.

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                              Collapse

                              728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X