As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Delights of a camp site

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delights of a camp site

Just back from another wonderful walking weekend rally in a lovely farm in Hampshire. Hot sunny days, balmy evenings, sitting around with friends savouring some home made wine and nibbles chatting and laughing until bed time (9ish I hasten to add). Stunning walks and lovely views.

Kestrels in the trees, horses in next field, crops swaying in the gentle breeze. But the field we were in was huge and it appeared to glisten all over, as if scattered generously with diamonds and silver glitter. On further investigation we discovered that the entire field was closely spun with tiny lengths of the finest cobweb. Tiny, tiny spiders must have been busy each night and day to give us this delightful treat. The van did have evidence of them though but they were so small as to not be a problem. I cannot quite believe that such tiny spiders could cover such a huge field in such beauty. As the sun shone on it it just glowed.

Originally posted by Flo View Post
    Just back from another wonderful walking weekend rally in a lovely farm in Hampshire. Hot sunny days, balmy evenings, sitting around with friends savouring some home made wine and nibbles chatting and laughing until bed time (9ish I hasten to add). Stunning walks and lovely views.

Kestrels in the trees, horses in next field, crops swaying in the gentle breeze. But the field we were in was huge and it appeared to glisten all over, as if scattered generously with diamonds and silver glitter. On further investigation we discovered that the entire field was closely spun with tiny lengths of the finest cobweb. Tiny, tiny spiders must have been busy each night and day to give us this delightful treat. The van did have evidence of them though but they were so small as to not be a problem. I cannot quite believe that such tiny spiders could cover such a huge field in such beauty. As the sun shone on it it just glowed.
    Wonderful descriptive stuff!
    Jac

Comment

~Well you don't need a photo with a description like that, Flo!

We had money spiders inside and out recently at a THs site, half of them came home with me, so I hope they get on with the natives! LOL!!

Comment

one of the smallest spiders and one of the most prolific,the linyphilidae,the sheet weavers,called money spiders because folk believed they would walk on you to spin you new clothes and you would become rich thereby.
        They are also one of the higest flying animals,being found attatched to gossamer threads miles up in the atmosphere.Needless to say they are global in extent.
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Not quite like this web on grass, in Australia:

Comment

Originally posted by Flo View Post
            Not quite like this web on grass, in Australia:

Arachnaphobics look away now
            derek b and Babs

Comment

Whilst I have no particular fear of spiders, this rather freaks me out!
              Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2012 View Post
                Whilst I have no particular fear of spiders, this rather freaks me out!
                Ah!,pity,the sheets of gossamer softly and silently billowing in a gentle breeze ,with the sunlight shimmering on it like light on pools of water,is a lovely sight,and very transient,one strong wind or heavy shower and its gone!
                and there is no guarantee it will happen in the same place next year,or at all.

Like so many beautiful things,blink and its gone!
                Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Like these on my shed! Really must clean the darned thing! Poor spider copped it as well, it was freezing for days on end here

Seriously, that photo of the fields freaks me out as well, I don't mind spiders, but HOW MANY ARE THERE at work there???????
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by jayjay; 27-07-2012, 20:31.

Comment

Very poetic, Ian.

I'm not a total coward though. I've held a tarantula in my hands - it felt quite tickly.
                    and an African snail (heavy), a giant millipede (about 6 inches long) - like a clockwork toy, and a snake (surprisingly dry).
                    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by derek b View Post
                      Arachnaphobics look away now

Now that makes my skin crawl, and I'm not afraid of spiders

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X