As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help travelling to Holland.

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help travelling to Holland.

Hi I would like some information regarding the best time and way to Holland.

thinking of catching the 8am DFDS ferry from Dover to Dunkirk...cheapest fare.

but as it is a total of 9 - 10 hrs drive wondering if it is best to set off the evening before and pull up near dover for a sleep etc..if so anyone suggest a good place need to be at the ferry for 7am the latest...

Many thanks...

PS think it is unfair..a car and four passengers £11 for day return and for my Freda and 2 passengers £35......one way.

Originally posted by lunnie View Post

but as it is a total of 9 - 10 hrs drive wondering if it is best to set off the evening before and pull up near dover for a sleep etc..if so anyone suggest a good place need to be at the ferry for 7am the latest...

Many thanks...

PS think it is unfair..a car and four passengers £11 for day return and for my Freda and 2 passengers £35......one way.
    Lunnie, I cant help you with a place to stop for a sleep, but hopefully someone else can. I think £35 one way for a car and two passengers is a bargain. Just been quoted £145 single fare on the train to London
    Mary

Comment

Why not drive to Harwich and catch the ferry direct to Hook of Holland? You wouldn't have to drive through France and its probably only 5or 6 hours drive from Wolverhampton rather than 9 or 10? Check Stena Line website for timetables

Comment

Look very carefully at the total costs of the journey and the time implication. We have friends in the Hague and we travel Hull to Rotterdam with P and O. We live in Lancashire it is 2 hrs to Hull and less than an hour the other side. The nights sleep is on the boat. It is a little dearer than going via Dover but o so much less stressful and quicker plus we dont have to find somewhere to sleep.

Peter

Comment

We did this last year. I'm fairly certain we stopped at The Bowl Inn - http://www.bowlinn.co.uk/ It's not easy to find as it is along small country lanes but is only about 30 mins or so from Dover.

We found it because it advertised having a caravan park but in fact they were happy for us to stay over in their car park. Either we absconded without paying or they were happy for us to stay over for free, certainly no money was asked for. Nice pub with a warm fire and a good beer.

It isn't part of Motorhome Stopover - http://www.motorhomestopover.co.uk/ but they do have lots of pubs, farm shops etc that are happy for you to overnight for free.There are 4 or 5 in the Ashford/Folkstone/Dover area including one in/near Dover itself. Of course, since I'm a paid member I can't reveal their names here. Not tried any of them either but did try a couple in Lincs and one nr Milton Keynes on our recent outing and all 3 could not have been more friendly/helpful. Britstops is similar and may also have stops nr Dover.

Comment

Hi Joan - hope you are well. There is a smallish campsite at Dover we have stayed at some years ago. If you are approaching Dover where the road snakes down in a spiral to the ferries - at the top is a roundabout. Turn left on this roundabout - go 1-2 miles, there is a turning on the left - it's up there. Maybe Google Earth would identify it better!!

Mike

Comment

Sleeping near Dover

Originally posted by lunnie View Post

Many thanks...

Hi! As you approach Dover on the M20 you look down on Folkestone and there before you is a McDonalds with a large lit empty car park. We have before now taken the road off the motorway and gone down to the closed, at night, McDonalds and had a safe and secure and FREE sleep. Hope this helps.
              Graham (and Carole)

Comment

Many thanks for your information.... I will look at other options.

Reason I was t happy was because a car with 4 ppl went for £11....for me only 2 of us £35...

and where are you travelling from? mind you I did paid £123 to Edingburgh from Wolverhampton last year...

Comment

Hi looking at the options and cost/time then Harwich to the Hague seems to be the way forward as we live up North....North Holland near to the German border....still have the problem of having to be there for 9am......as I dont wish to pay out for a cabin on the overnight ferry......

So many thanks for your help...xxx

Comment

Can anyone suggest a restaurant or hotel to stay in Amsterdam which is fairly near to everything? I would like it to be affordable enough to rest in and price around £50 ~ £100 if possible ( 60 ~ 120 european ).
                    Any excellent experiences?

Comment

Make sure you remember that now dfds have changed their policy for Dover-Dunkerque, used to be flexible with the times where you could go on the one before or after free of charge providing there was space! They dont do that anymore as they have certain type of fares now, that I find unfair too! If you are going there earlier it might be worth looking into the Premier Inn which is very close to the port but pre-book for the £29 deal, I think its a month in advance.. Totally agree with the car/van fares. But bear in mind last time I booked my Caddy which is practically the same size as a car, or even smaller, I booked through www.ferrysavers.co.uk and got diverted through their freight line who said I was ok booking passenger as it's a non-commerical trip and it's personal load, not for bussiness use. I gave exactly the same details to DFDS directly and they insisted on it being Freight, which obviously means a lot more expensive.
                      Try price comparison websites befroe booking directly, sometimes it's worth it and others not..
                      Quiet but I'm sure, there is something here....

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X