As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Wonder.

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Wonder.

Messing about with Google Earth yesterday I decided to have a look at the house I used to own around 1970 in St. Ives (no, not that one, the real "As I was going to St Ives I met............." one in Cambridgeshire) though it was in Huntingdonshire when I was there.
    Rather nostalgically familiar, but with a surprising number of differences in the immediate area.
    However, parked in the front garden was a small red motorhome. I think a VW, but partly obscured by the front hedge I cannot be sure.
    Couldn't help wondering though whether it might belong to someone on this Forum.
    Obviously, I do not want to publish the address on here. But if it was anyone on here I would respond to a PM.
    Jim Walker.
    Last edited by Twolitre; 30-11-2012, 10:35. Reason: Tie-pin Errors again!
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

If I google my house, it still has my old demountable in the front garden, which I sold approx three years ago! So they are not necessarily up to date on Google, Jim!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
      If I google my house, it still has my old demountable in the front garden, which I sold approx three years ago! So they are not necessarily up to date on Google, Jim!
      I realise that jayjay, but I left there YEARS before the internet, never mind Google Earth.
      The picture of my present house must be one of the earliest, there is a car in the drive I sold about seven years ago. I would think probably taken before GE was published.
      Jim.

Comment

Am quite cross as the google maps updated picture now shows my R20 instead of just the tatty old bangers we also possess.

I always park it as far back as I can so it is hidden by my neighbour's car. People casually glancing into the Close can't easily see it. (A simple security thing as we don't live in the posh part of town and I don't want to advertise the presence of an expensive vehicle).

I consider this to be an invasion of my privacy.
        Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2012 View Post
          Am quite cross as the google maps updated picture now shows my R20 instead of just the tatty old bangers we also possess.

I always park it as far back as I can so it is hidden by my neighbour's car. People casually glancing into the Close can't easily see it. (A simple security thing as we don't live in the posh part of town and I don't want to advertise the presence of an expensive vehicle).

I consider this to be an invasion of my privacy.
          Sensible precautions Sue, but I suppose there is nothing we can do about the Google pictures except hope that they a will not update them too often. If they stay mostly well out of date they will be of little use to the dishonest fraternity.
          "Dishonest fraternity"? Just when did I start thinking of them as kindly as that??
          Jim.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
            Sensible precautions Sue, but I suppose there is nothing we can do about the Google pictures except hope that they a will not update them too often.
            Jim.
            Hi Jim
            I was sitting McDonalds at Calcot when I read your post and had a look on Google Earth at my location. The satellite image is at least 12 years old as the foundations were being put in. McD's used to be in Sainsburys car park and they jacked the building up and moved it. It's still shown in its old location and interestingly labelled as being a Starbucks.
            I'm not sure how often these things are updated but the Street view of my house is a year old looking at it from one direction and at least 3 years old looking from the other.

Peter

Comment

Street view is an odd thing....... Here images are at least 6yrs old and its clearly a composite 'thing' My old Fiat Reimo appears parked outside of the house, yet beyond a certain point looking back down the street it disappearsI More disconcertingly it also appears (being driven by me) on a nearby main road....
              Hows that for a space time continuem conundrum!
              Andyvan

Comment

You can request that google earth remove the view of your house, I have, so it now only let's you see it from the top of the cul de sac meaning our cars/caravan and house frontage are not visable. As we have a rear access road I have also asked that the rear view of the house be blocked. Google carried out the requests within days.
                Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

If you go to Google Maps Street View and search "Fishguard, 33 Quay Street", looking seawards Sue and I are just passing beneath a lamppost.
                  Sue seems quite interested in the lamppost, but as this was in July '09, and long before she took up ukulele, she clearly didn't feel a need to lean on it.
                  It appears there are two sets of pictures of us near there, and on the other one I'm literally legless!

Here's a clip from Wiki about the privacy issues relevant to the UK
                  " ... the Information Commissioner ruled that although Google Street View carries a small risk of privacy invasion it should not be stopped. They ruled that "There is no law against anyone taking pictures of people in the street as long as the person using the camera is not harassing people". They also ruled that Google Street View does not contravene the Data Protection Act, as an image of a house held on Street View is not a data protection matter, as data protection is about people's personal information.[30][31]"
                  Last edited by Artoo0; 30-11-2012, 13:43.
                  Geoff

Comment

Google Street view have just recently updated this area, I can now look a my place on Street View and see my old Nu Venture van sitting outside, looks like Im not gong to forget that van in a hurry

Ive just seen my old van on sale at the dealers and it looks like they're set to make a handsome profit on it

Dave
                    http://romahomeandaway.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Artoo0 View Post
                      If you go to Google Maps Street View and search "Fishguard, 33 Quay Street", looking seawards Sue and I are just passing beneath a lamppost.
                      Sue seems quite interested in the lamppost, but as this was in July '09, and long before she took up ukulele, she clearly didn't feel a need to lean on it.
                      It appears there are two sets of pictures of us near there, and on the other one I'm literally legless!
                      Your claim to fame! Fishguard looks very pretty, Must add it to my list of places to visit in the van.
                      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

How did you recognise yourselves Artoo0? Faces are usually blurred out.
                        My sister is on one shot, but we only know it is her because she is stood in her own kitchen doorway.
                        Jim.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                          How did you recognise yourselves Artoo0? Faces are usually blurred out.
                          My sister is on one shot, but we only know it is her because she is stood in her own kitchen doorway.
                          Jim.
                          Because we saw the Streetview van with camera coming towards us so we knew there was a very good chance that we would have been filmed and we looked when we got home.
                          Sue

Comment

Also Jim, no amount of blurring could disguise the light reflected off my pate!
                            Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by andyvan View Post
                              Street view is an odd thing....... Here images are at least 6yrs old and its clearly a composite 'thing' My old Fiat Reimo appears parked outside of the house, yet beyond a certain point looking back down the street it disappearsI More disconcertingly it also appears (being driven by me) on a nearby main road....
                              Hows that for a space time continuem conundrum!
                              Andyvan
                              Cor Andy - your car should be on Doctor Who - fancy being in three places at the same time! Are you sure it isn't the tardis?

My neighbour next door would not be delighted to know she was getting in the milk off the doorstep, in her old dressing gown with curlers in when the google van went past! So I haven't told her! She doesn't have a computer or have any knowledge of them!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X