This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small motorhome/campervan - friendly campsites

I know there's a review section on here but wondered if anyone could recommend any sites that seem particularly good for small vans. I stayed this weekend at a nice site but really felt very much like a fish out of water. It was a square field with caravans around the perimeter facing inwards, and a couple of touring vans and a largish motorhome in the middle. When I arrived the lady suggested I might like to go in the middle too. To me that would be living in a goldfish bowl - I could almost feel the net curtains twitching already. I persuaded her to let me join the row on the perimeter too. However as my van has a side door I wanted to park at right-angles to the others which she couldn't understand though nice enough when I explained that otherwise the van owners would be looking straight in at me from their windows. Also i feel that small van owners live outside far more, I was the only one with a table and chair outside, and was out there until it was too dark to read. They all seemed to go into their vans, shut the door and watch tv etc. I didn't mind them being unsociable but felt a bit self conscious really and very much on view and under scrutiny! I think I had more in common with the campers in the tent field really and will certainly ensure I go for a joint van and tent site in future, if only to get washing up sinks - not to be found in van sites.

I don't suppose it's just me that's had this experience - I'd love to hear of any sites that have good privacy and a bit more used to the needs of small van owners.

Ta

Jan

Hi Jan

Are you a member of the Camping and Carvanning Club? On many of their sites you will find a mixture of tents, caravans, large motorhomes and small motorhomes. As you say people in tents tend to sit outside more and I am sure you would feel more at home at a site with a mixture of units.

There are normally lots of grass pitches on these club sites and not so "car park like".

A good example is the Sandringham site which is a large park like site with trees and lots of grass pitches and the units are all mixed up, you can be next to a tent, large motorhome or a caravan and when the weather is good everyone sits outside.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Thank you Graham. I was actually a member of the C&CC for my first year with my van but decided I didn't really use the membership much, their sites are few and far between and the only time I tried to get on one it was full - so there didn't seem to be any advantage to me - and they were quite pricey too. I may look at rejoining however now.

Thanks again

J

Comment

Originally posted by jan View Post
        Thank you Graham. I was actually a member of the C&CC for my first year with my van but decided I didn't really use the membership much, their sites are few and far between and the only time I tried to get on one it was full - so there didn't seem to be any advantage to me - and they were quite pricey too. I may look at rejoining however now.

Thanks again

J
        Hi Jan,
        the whole point of both theCamping and caravan club &the caravan club is that membership gives you access to literally thousands of small "certified sites" approx 3500 each club, all over the UK. the big club sites they have about 150-200 each, yes they get full when its holiday time, but you have all the CS`s to pick from. you are spoilt for choice.
        it is money well spent, the CS`s are much cheaper than main sites.

dont give up, scrounge an old year book from a member and look at the choice!

goodluck
        Ian
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Thanks Ian, I've actually still got my old book, it's only a few years old. I actually rang and booked at a CS last year and no-one asked if I was a member of either of the clubs. (I wasn't) Seems to make a nonsense of joining really. I also found some of the private sites were cheaper anyway, however you're right, the CS kind of sites are probably more my type of thing.

Comment

2nd thought!!
            why not join the romaclub, they have meets upto september, I peeked at the website,
            Thats two ideas today! I need to lie down.
            happy camping, hope we meet up.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
              2nd thought!!
              why not join the romaclub, they have meets upto september, I peeked at the website,
              Thats two ideas today! I need to lie down.
              happy camping, hope we meet up.

Ian
              ...not sure whether they would welcome a Stepwagon owner though!!.......

Have a nice rest, don't dream about campsites!!

And thank you for your suggestions.

J

Comment

Originally posted by jan View Post
                ...not sure whether they would welcome a Stepwagon owner though!!.......

Have a nice rest, don't dream about campsites!!

And thank you for your suggestions.

J
                I knew two ideas in a day was pushing it!
                Coo a stepwagon only ever seen one, very swish.
                definately looking forward to seeing you at a SMCF meet.
                again,
                happy camping
                Ian

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X