As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mops in showers on campsites? Common sense hygiene or bacteria hotels?

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mops in showers on campsites? Common sense hygiene or bacteria hotels?

This is something that I wonder about....
    I look at those mops in the campsite showers in the morning soaking in detergent and every time I mop out a shower cubicle I remember an experiment from an A level biology lesson.

We set up test tubes of detergent with different concentrations of detergent with a control test tube of water and tested them for bacterial content after different intervals of time. The result was one that surprised me... firstly weak concentrations grew more bugs then water... Secondly over 24 hours or so the stronger solutions also grew more bugs than the one with water as they broke down; the bugs fed off the broken down detergent.... LOVERLY.

So how hygienic really is this practice really of using those rat tailled mops which sit around damp providing ideal breeding conditions? I often wonder wether it would be more sensible just to sluice down the shower with water than use them. When we diligently mop down the cubicle are we just distributing bugs around?

Now I do think the water does get replaced frequently to be fair...?? Perhaps detergents now are longer lasting now anyway? However I suspect not because to be safe environmentally you would want them to break down reasonably quickly so as not to damage the wildlife. Obviously the detergent will remove dirt more effectively than water which is a plus but as the mop head as a potential breeding ground of bugs which would then be spread around does it offset this? I simply do not know. It is okay, I am still happy to use the shower..... I just wonder.

Have I got all this wrong? Are there some scientists out there who can put me straight? Should I just get a life?
    Last edited by Tentpeg; 09-01-2013, 22:08.

I've only ever seen mops in the showers at Nairn C&CC site. I wear Crocs in the shower, hang my towel in a bag, then give the shower a good wash down with water when I've finished. Those grey stringy mops never look particularly hygienic to me.

Comment

A lot of places I've been have those squeegy type mops which just 'brush' the excess water into the waste channel. I think they are pretty good! But the mops at some sites leave a lot to be desired, it's true. I often wonder if using them is doing the next person in a favour or not!

Like Karen, I use flip flops in the showers and just hose down when I'm done.

Comment

I always wear my crocs in the shower, I agree about the mops not looking very hygenic. Think I've spelled that wrong - doh

Comment

T1

I too always wear plastic shoes in the showers and hang clothes in a carrier bag. never use the mops at all just swill down. Loads of sites have the mop bucket in the corner. I have seen very murky water in them.

Comment

mops in showers

I agree about the mops. Just wish the shower heads were not fixed to the wall. It takes longer to shower and means you cannot swill down the floor in the whole shower cubicle after use.

Comment

agree with all above but I suppose I mop to remove huge puddles of water is better than nothing at all. Would still use flip flops/crocs or whatever

Comment

Have been wearing my flip flops in the showers on campsites ever since Mum got paranoid about athlete's foot and veruccas some 50 years ago and bought me some specifically for that purpose.

C & C C always have mops in buckets, so you can mop up after you if needed; I would imagine that the water is changed at least once a day when the blocks are cleaned and don't they contain disinfectant or bleach of some sort rather than detergent? I've never investigated that closely! Unless I've made the floor dirty or there are big puddles I don't usually mop out after me. Sometimes I have to mop before I use the shower - so I guess that means lots of folk don't even mop when they have made a mess. I always thought they are there for using on the floor rather than in the shower itself as this is self rinsing as soon as it gets going again!

Comment

I always mop the floor as I leave as it looks better for the next user!! I hate to see a dirty wet floor when entering the shower! but like the majority I always keep a pair of flip flops to just use in the shower even though I walk over in my crocs.

Comment

Caz I believe the experiment we did was actually on a bleach based product. The point was made that old or too weak a solution was worse than useless ..

I certainly feel I would be more confident in a foam based mop that was squeezed out! But I suspect it should be ideally replaced with a new one at frequent intervals....

At home I have a steam mop which ranks as one of the best purchases I ever have made... it is brilliant.
                    Last edited by Tentpeg; 11-01-2013, 06:39.

Comment

Flip flops for me in shower and I do prefer one of those scraper type cleaners. Have usually found showers are left clean and tidy.

Comment

Originally posted by lizzie View Post
                        I agree about the mops. Just wish the shower heads were not fixed to the wall. It takes longer to shower and means you cannot swill down the floor in the whole shower cubicle after use.
                        I never touch those mops, a good rinse off with hot water is what I do. Lizzie I agree with you completely...PLEASE dear site owners, hose type showers that come off the wall are so much more practical. I hate fixed head showers, so difficult to remove soap from everywhere you want to!

Comment

Originally posted by Bryony The Snail View Post

I never touch those mops, a good rinse off with hot water is what I do. Lizzie I agree with you completely...PLEASE dear site owners, hose type showers that come off the wall are so much more practical. I hate fixed head showers, so difficult to remove soap from everywhere you want to!
                          And stop putting fixed temperature push button showers in too!

If you are on cc site, use the shower that is marked along the lines, 'this general use cubicle has been modified to assist the disabled'. They always have a hose type shower head.
                          Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

But if we all do that, where are the disabled folk supposed to go?

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
                              But if we all do that, where are the disabled folk supposed to go?
                              It was a warden who told me to use the cubicles on a rare visit to the facilities during 'rush hour', he said they are general use primarily, not solely for the disabled. I guess the disabled generally use the dedicated key controlled facilities??

I usually shower very late at night to avoid the crowds and invariably I am the only one using the facilities anyway.
                              Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X