As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favourite places

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite places

Do you have a favourite spot you return to again and again? I've just posted on my blog about winter walking in North Bay, Scarborough, which is a favourite haunt of mine.
    Check it out at http://www.whippetywanderings.co.uk

Whippety

Yes, for me it has to be Durness on the northern Scottish headland that's a constant draw. The only problem is - it takes 3-4 days just to get there so, at best, I'm limited to an annual visit.

Other areas have to be Pembrokeshire, Elan Valley, Brecon Beacons, parts of Somerset near Porlock and the New Forest - although the latter isn't quite so easy for wilding now.

Comment

I also love Durness, although I've only made it there twice!

This year I will be visiting my very very favouritest place - Kintyre in May.... two ferries going (staying on Arran for 3 nights) then 9 nights on the Atlantic coast of Kintyre, followed by a two day journey home!

Comment

I love the New Forest, specifically the Holmsley Forestry Commission campsite

http://www.campingintheforest.co.uk/...msley-campsite
        Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

My favorite must be North Antrim coast, Giants Causeway,Whitepark Bay and ballintoy harbour being a must for all travellers.

Comment

Magical Moments

Originally posted by karenw View Post
            Yes, for me it has to be Durness on the northern Scottish headland that's a constant draw. The only problem is - it takes 3-4 days just to get there so, at best, I'm limited to an annual visit.

Other areas have to be Pembrokeshire, Elan Valley, Brecon Beacons, parts of Somerset near Porlock and the New Forest - although the latter isn't quite so easy for wilding now.
            We like the Balnakeil beach near Durness a favourite spot for us is also to picnic at the parking spot at the north end of the Kyle of Tongue bridge just as the tide comes in or goes out and the expanse of sand or water appears.

The West coast beaches on South Uist, Benbecula and Harris. The beauty of motor caravans, Magical moments.

A place we have always wanted to go Sandwood Bay in the Highlands a neighbour who was on the Russian convoys in the war told us about this spot sailors would see this glorious bay as one of the last glimpses of the UK when leaving for Russia to visit Cove at the end of Loch Ewe on a good day where the convoys gathered and see the memorial plaques is a moving moment

Alf

Comment

Originally posted by alf39 View Post
              We like the Balnakeil beach near Durness a favourite spot for us is also to picnic at the parking spot at the north end of the Kyle of Tongue bridge just as the tide comes in or goes out and the expanse of sand or water appears.

Alf
              Got to agree with both of those Alf, and the walk from Balnakeil up to Faraid Head is well worth the effort. From there you can also sometimes watch the RAF bombing the heck out of a small offshore island, while shells (not sea ones, either!) whistle overhead from Royal Navy ships just visible on the horizon having a long distance pop at the ranges on Cape Wrath!
              .......... Sid

Comment

Another vote for Durness and Tongue, that stretch of coast line is the best I’ve seen in the UK. Hopefully we’ll be back up there in the summer.

Only other place I’d add to that list is the Sands of Morar near Mallaig.

This is Balnakeil Beach
                balanakiel.jpg

BKB.jpg

This is Morar, the sands are pure white when dry, sorry all the photos have two black and white posers on them.
                morar1.jpg

morar2.jpg
                Last edited by NomadGB; 05-02-2013, 19:01.
                My map, free to all to use.

Comment

Super pics of a superb white sandy beach - but you had far better weather than I did and staggered along, bracing myself against the wind, trussed up in every item of clothing I had with me!!

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
                    Super pics of a superb white sandy beach - but you had far better weather than I did and staggered along, bracing myself against the wind, trussed up in every item of clothing I had with me!!
                    It was fairly windy, the nearby campsite was practically empty as most of the tent campers had moved on during the night.

I’ve been there in far worse weather as it was one of the stop offs on my Highland Tour with the MINI club. I think the worse was when I did the recon run in January, it was like I was driving a submarine rather than a car.
                    Last edited by NomadGB; 05-02-2013, 19:16.

Comment

Durness seems to be a great favourite....I've put it on my go-to list!

Comment

Originally posted by sid b View Post
                        From there you can also sometimes watch the RAF bombing the heck out of a small offshore island,

.. and here's a photo I took of them doing it!

157.jpg
                        .......... Sid

Comment

Nomad Have you heard the sands sing it a weird noise !! .. on a windy day the fine sand gets everywhere.

another of our favourites is the trip down Glen Sheil from the Cluanie Inn to Sheil Bridge on a sunny day the Five Sisters take some beating well perhaps the view of Glen Sheil and the Five Sisters from the car park at the top of Mam Ratagan on the old road to the isles may be slightly better

Comment

Originally posted by alf39 View Post
                            Nomad Have you heard the sands sing it a weird noise !! .. on a windy day the fine sand gets everywhere.

another of our favourites is the trip down Glen Sheil from the Cluanie Inn to Sheil Bridge on a sunny day the Five Sisters take some beating well perhaps the view of Glen Sheil and the Five Sisters from the car park at the top of Mam Ratagan on the old road to the isles may be slightly better
                            No, I’ve not heard the sands sing, to be honest I probably wasn’t listening for it. I will do next time though, as for sand getting everywhere our two dogs certainly help with that. The van can resemble a beach after a trip to the coast.

I’m sure there’s a place called singing sands <off to have a look now>

I took the MINIs over the Ratagan last year and across on the turntable ferry, its an amazing drive and the views are stunning from that car park. The weather was very Scottish last year so we could quite see the summits of the Five Sisters though.

Comment

Singing Sands

Found it!

http://www.moidart.com/walking-ardna.../singing-sands

Must be the same effect as Balnakeil

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X