As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking forward

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking forward

Here we are in February already, I have been busy modifying my Partner Escapade and look forward to a few trips away. I did a few last year mainly to watch motorcycle events where like minded people tend to sleep over in anything in a field normally frequented by farm animals. I tend to do this as a solo camper as the wife is not that interested.
    I have so far installed a sleeping platform as I like to call it which allows me to sleep comfortably across the rear of the partner in a diagonal position having removed only the single rear seat and folding the double rather than removing it. Under the platform provides plenty of storage and a cooking platform which simply slides out when the rear door is open. I am thinking of purchasing a set of blackout curtains for this model from Amdro which simply attach by suction. I will put some pictures up when I get the chance.
    My question at this time is when going on a trip just for touring about do I book in as a camper or a motorhome user on campsites ?. My thoughts were maybe as a camper the site would expect to see a tent erected but I wonder what others have found.
    Any help or advise greatfully received.
    Thankyou

I normally wild-camp and very rarely use sites. On the occasions when I did have to use a site then I said I had a car adapted for camping and normally was charged the lowest rate, ie tent charge. Generally I now ask the price per person rather than pitch in the hope it's cheaper, then negotiate from there if it's more than I hoped to pay.

Comment

looking forward

Hi
      Please excuse my ignorance but what is a Partner Escapade.?

Keen Canary

Comment

Peugeot Partner Escapade

Hi,
        Surprised you have not heard of the Peugeot Partner Escapade, it is the name given to the Peugeot Partner with the car makeover ie. windows all round, five seats, similar to the Citroen Berlingo Multispace. I believe the escapade finished in 2008.
        Lincol

Comment

Thanks Karen
          Appreciate your response, I presume from what your saying you have not had any problems using a site with your "car adapted for camping" description. I am just trying to plan some trips and wanted to be forearmed.
          Lincol

Comment

Originally posted by Lincol View Post
            Thanks Karen
            Appreciate your response, I presume from what your saying you have not had any problems using a site with your "car adapted for camping" description. I am just trying to plan some trips and wanted to be forearmed.
            Lincol
            No problems at all. When booking a pitch I ask the charge per person and if they hesitate and say they charge per pitch I ask for a car adapted for camping. Some sites have different rates for a motorhome or a car with tent so I choose the latter and carry a tent incase it's needed. The Kangoo van obviously had the same size footprint as an unconverted car and couldn't be more different to a conventional motorhome so it was never queried and I was never charged a 'motorhome' rate for it. I normally wildcamp and only use campsites extremely rarely - about 4-5 nights per year out of 70+ nights, ie on longer trips when I can't last any longer without a shower! *scratch!*

Comment

Thanks for that Karen, you certainly do a lot of days away, I am still modifying my Partner for my use only as my wife does not really share my desire to kip in the car. Last year I did a few nights away spectating motorcycle trial events which I enjoyed and has fired me up to do more this year. I have always been one to go off and do things on my own and treat it as an adventure. With respect your wild camping, where do you typically stop over ? . Being a member of the fairer sex surely you have to cautious where you stop ? On my travels I have often seen campers parked up in Layby's early in the morning and they have obviously been there all night. Do you do the same or tend to go off the main routes ?. I think part of the enjoyment I get is carrying out the modifications to the vehicle to make nights away more comfortable and enjoyable.
              Regards
              Lincol

Comment

I try to head off at every opportunity and aim for 3 short trips every month throughout the year, especially in the quieter months but never during hot weather or school summer holidays.

I never park in laybys, with the exception of a village layby beside a castle in Yorkshire where I was welcomed by the villagers and the chap living opposite brought me a cup of tea (I don't actually drink tea...) every morning together a daily weather forecast. I would never normally use roadside laybys but this was clearly different.

I am careful where I park, both for personal safety reasons (which is why I also never publicly promote any of my parking spots!) and to ensure I'm not a nuisance for local residents. I generally travel and explore during the day then arrive at my overnight spot around 11pm'ish and move on before 8am to find an attractive spot to park for breakfast. Generally I park beside reservoirs, canals, working harbours, moorlands or quiet villages. I always ensure there's good vision all around the van and having once (but only once) had a bad experience with some yobs, I ensure I'm never at the foot of a remote country lane where I could be blocked in without a second exit.

Comment

Thanks Karen all good information,which I have noted. I note you have a Romahome so I guess you would always look like a camper. I have a Peugeot Partner (like a Berlingo) which I have modified so I would tend to look like a parked car which may or may not look more out of place depending on where I stay. I look forward to my nights away, thankyou
                  Lincol

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X