This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a nice Forum This is.

Like many on here maybe i am a member of quite a few forums mostly now motorhome related. One such forum no names, pesters me regularly to pay to become a full member i do not as to be honest my interest there is purely as a watcher. One such post caught my attention and upon reading a non paying member like myself commented on a post agreeing with something the original poster had done. The original poster then commented on this poster being quote "a free loader" as he had not payed to join the forum. How sad i thought and it further inforced my decision not to pay to become a full member as to be honest i really don't think i'd like the kind of people it attracts, now i know not everyones going to have that view but i didn't see many come to this persons defence(from the paying members).
    It's no wonder i seem to post soley on this forum such a nice bunch all round.

I totally agree with you, and think I know which forum you mean. I get the weekly email asking me to pay, I dont even bother to read it anymore, I just delete it. I like you and many others I suspect enjoy reading these forums for hints n tips, but not to go wild camping. I feel intimidated about posting on there as you never know what response you will get, whereas on here I have no qualms whatsoever. As far as I am concerned this is by far the best forum for friendliness and help, long may it reign !!!

Comment

Hi Renners

So nice to read your comments about the friendliness of this website. I joined a good few years ago when there were just about 10 or so members,maybe Graham can say just how many it started with and when . After a short time we had a first meet up and I can remember the few who went that weekend. We were quite nervous about going to a camping meet with people we had met on the internet, meeting like that on line was quite a new concept at that time. I need not have worried, Graham and Pauline turned out to be very ordinary and likeable people as were the others on that meet.

This website is a credit to Pauline and Graham and it has continued in the friendly way it has. There are now moderators from amongst the members and just a glance at the number going to the Annual spring meet up gives and indication of its success.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo View Post
        Hi Renners

So nice to read your comments about the friendliness of this website. I joined a good few years ago when there were just about 10 or so members,maybe Graham can say just how many it started with and when . After a short time we had a first meet up and I can remember the few who went that weekend. We were quite nervous about going to a camping meet with people we had met on the internet, meeting like that on line was quite a new concept at that time. I need not have worried, Graham and Pauline turned out to be very ordinary and likeable people as were the others on that meet.

This website is a credit to Pauline and Graham and it has continued in the friendly way it has. There are now moderators from amongst the members and just a glance at the number going to the Annual spring meet up gives and indication of its success.
        Flo - You were the 9th person to join the forum back in 2006 and you are still with us, thank you. We had about 12 members in the first four months and only 23 in the first year of the forum's life. Other founder members who are still regular posters include Wendy, Cas, Yamaha, Derek, Moya and Aileen.

Renners - thank you for your kind remarks, we are so lucky to have very little trouble on this forum and the friendliness of the people seems to attract other friendly people. We have made a commitment that we will never ask for subscriptions to the forum but instead rely on advertising and voluntary donations from people who can afford it, so there is no fear of ever being looked down on as a "Free loader", may you spend many more happy years enjoying being a member of our lovely community.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

This would be the same website that made me setup my map, I did consider setting up a forum but when there are great sites like this out there I thought to stick to the map only.

The history, as I'm aware of it, was that everything about the site was free including the POI downloads. The site's membership grew as did the list of POIs, a few years back the site admin decided to charge for membership, people who'd freely given locations then had to pay to access the list. Anyone sharing the list is banned, anyone mentioning other sites are banned, and the web-addresses of other sites are in the swear-word filter i.e. they're *****'d out.

He claims that a large percentage of people were given free membership, but the people I know who contributed a lot of locations were not given these. Another site was setup for wildcamping using free forums but when he got wind of it he registered their chosen domain name to stop them from getting it.

I've registered a new domain name to promote not for profit wildcamping sites www.wildcamping.org.uk, I'm having a wee break from working on the site at the moment but should be doing more work on the map soon.
          My map, free to all to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
            Flo - You were the 9th person to join the forum back in 2006 and you are still with us, thank you. We had about 12 members in the first four months and only 23 in the first year of the forum's life. Other founder members who are still regular posters include Wendy, Cas, Yamaha, Derek, Moya and Aileen.

Renners - thank you for your kind remarks, we are so lucky to have very little trouble on this forum and the friendliness of the people seems to attract other friendly people. We have made a commitment that we will never ask for subscriptions to the forum but instead rely on advertising and voluntary donations from people who can afford it, so there is no fear of ever being looked down on as a "Free loader", may you spend many more happy years enjoying being a member of our lovely community.
            I think I joined you in the second or third year, not that many of us then either! I still remember my first meet and meeting some lovely people! - Oh and Martin, who got all dirty fixing my engine, which had broken down three times before I had done 60 miles! Bless him, I wonder how he is these days?

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
              I think I joined you in the second or third year, not that many of us then either! I still remember my first meet and meeting some lovely people! - Oh and Martin, who got all dirty fixing my engine, which had broken down three times before I had done 60 miles! Bless him, I wonder how he is these days?
              I've contacted Martin a few times to ask how he is, he doesn't seem to want to be on the forum these days for some reason. I know he was suffering with his hands and found it difficult typing at one point.

It's a shame because we miss him.
              Graham
              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment