As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where do you like to visit in the UK?

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where do you like to visit in the UK?

My Dad was an avid traveller, to France directly after WWII, he was very keen on science and nature. He converted a Bedford van in the 1960s. Have photos somewhere ....... through his eyes I have also enjoyed travelling:

DH and I love: Derbyshire - Castleton especially; Sussex - Brighton and Lewes, Petworth and Midhurst; Hungerford; the Isle of Skye ....... when we were students we had an A-frame tent to which we added a 'bell end' - we woke early one Sunday morning in the Edam Valley because the poles had twisted in the severely windy weather <oh>. We also took it to the Loire Valley for 3 weeks in glorious sunshine. We updated to a HUGE frame tent which we took to Cornwall in the 1980s, it barely went up after that : when the Scout Hut was burnt down we donated it, either to use or as a team building tool! since then we have progressed to B&B/Guest House type accommodation.

We had to admit to each other that driving a motorhome on the Isle of Skye was an experience we are happy to avoid ......... so we will probably continue with B&B even if we expand to a small 'camper' van. Now we plan to go to Sussex, North Norfolk, hopefully Northumberland as we enjoy walking and birdwatching.

Watch this space

Where do/would we like to visit?

How long have you got!

We have an ever expanding list, and many of the entries are places we want to re-visit, so heaven knows how we'll manage all the new ones too!

Northumberland is a category of its own. Pre-van days a cottage in Bamburgh was an annual winter break for quite a few years, plus occasional summer tent trips too! In fact, 2012 was probably the first year for quite a while we didn't get to Northumberland, and I'm already getting withdrawal symptoms!
    Geoff

Comment

Where do you go

Originally posted by Artoo0 View Post
      Where do/would we like to visit?

How long have you got!

We have an ever expanding list, and many of the entries are places we want to re-visit, so heaven knows how we'll manage all the new ones too!

Northumberland is a category of its own. Pre-van days a cottage in Bamburgh was an annual winter break for quite a few years, plus occasional summer tent trips too! In fact, 2012 was probably the first year for quite a while we didn't get to Northumberland, and I'm already getting withdrawal symptoms!
      Living in Northumberland, it's nice to hear people enjoy my county. For two years now since I got my little Romini I go to the THS at Beal which is only a few hundred yards from the causeway leading over to Holy Island. Bamburgh Castle and Seahouses are just down the road and you're not a kick in the backside off the Scottish Borders. I'll be going again this year in August and maybe this time I'll get to see the Vikings invade Lindisfarne. I keeping missing this anual event. Tlk about history repeating itself. Pam

Comment

I'm a fan of the Brecon Beacons because it's only an hour from home so I can make many visits on the spur of the moment with easy wilding available. Other favourites are the New Forest (wilding isn't so easy here), Pembrokeshire, Somerset and my favourite area - the northern Scottish Highlands around Durness.

Comment

Scotland, though we have barely scratched the surface, Dorset, Norfolk, Suffolk, Somerset, Wales, Northumberland, Kent, Sussex, Hampshire, York, Cotswolds and starting on Essex!!

Comment

We love the North Norfolk coast, it is reasonably close to go for a weekend but far enough away to feel we are on holiday.

Another favourite is Derbyshire which is on our doorstep and a lovely part of the country.
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Wales (am mostly familiar with north and central Wales), the Lake district, the Peak district, Yorkshire, the Orkneys, Devon, and am now getting more familiar with Norfolk, Cotswolds and South Wales. What a beautiful country we live in!

But for me the clear winner has to be the coast of Northumberland, which, to my shame, I only discovered maybe five years ago....(Yes, yes, I know the locals discovered it before me. ) Stunning coastline, nearly empty beaches.
              Carpe diem! :)

Comment

SSSHHH! I wish you all would just stop telling people how great Northumberland is with its wide open spaces, quiet beaches, great history, stunning wildlife etc etc
                Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Where do you like to visit

Originally posted by glenw View Post
                  SSSHHH! I wish you all would just stop telling people how great Northumberland is with its wide open spaces, quiet beaches, great history, stunning wildlife etc etc
                  Northumberland seems to be getting some votes. My friend from Lincolnshires, visits a couple of times a year. She loves going to Beal. Berwick is just up the road. As for beaches, Druridge bay goes on forever. Plus we have so many castles up here. All of this is within an hour and half from where I live. It only takes me 2 hours to get to Ullswater in the lakes. Might bump into some of you sometime. Pam

Comment

Sounds like an area to consider for a meet some time.
                    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Maybe 'members' should wear a specific colour/flower/hat/gagool during 2013 so that we recognise each other .... although I'm big at ear-wigging so if a lady of a certain age butts into your conversation ........

Our first camping trip was to a field below Cader Idris. One May Bank Holiday. About an hour's drive from home so that if we had forgotten anything vital ....... it poured with rain all night so I laid awake waiting for the stream to fill and rush through our tent ....... of course when I did wake the stream was quite a way from where we had pitched ......... we camped a lot in Wales. We were younger and hardier in them there days ........

We discovered Bamburgh and associated areas in about 2003 - after my spaniel had been pts, she would have loved it there! Now: where's that list of places to go ........ <whistling>

Comment

What a difficult question. I love the east peaks, but find locals can be unfriendly. I love the green hills and passionate landscapes with huge skies: the Hope valley is amazing.

I love west Wales, from Tenby all the way to Anglesey. Pretty little villages, gorgeous little harbour towns, beautiful beaches and never far from the mountains.

The lakes is awesome although becoming difficult to find wild camping spots that aren't touristy. The landscape is mesmerizing even in bad weather and there's everything from flat walking to extremely demanding scrambling.

Skye is a firm favourite, as is the whole area from Lochalsh right up to Durness, and across to Dunnet Head. The area around the Kyle of Tongue is spectacular and my soul feels at home here. Rolling heathland with imposing mountains, wild and beautiful coastlines with some stunning sandy beaches. You can walk for miles without seeing another soul.

Northumberland, as I was born in Durham and so visited it as a child too. I've spent the last few Christmases in Bamburgh, and I'm actually in the process of making a photographic e-book of the Northumberland coast. The northern part especially from Blyth with it's new promenade and incredible beach, through Druridge bay and Alnmouth, both having longggggg sandy beaches, up to Holy Island (where I know a secret wild camping spot).

And of course the Scottish borders: I've spent many happy weeks roaming the more remote parts. The Captain's Road in winter is still one of the most demanding walks I think you can take.

We really do have an incredible country and even after close to 7 years full timing and 25 years of tenting, I've still not seen all of it.
                        Last edited by BillyPants; 19-04-2013, 05:45.

Comment

Many places I still want to visit/return to but Northumberland also gets my vote. My favourite NT property is there - Cragside. Also I love south Devon.
                          Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Living within the Peaks National Park we are spoilt for choice for lovely places to visit all within a very short distance of home. We love Castleton, Edale and the Hope Valley but also love the Dark Peaks, right on our doorstep.

When travelling further afield we have a few favoured destinations, the New Forest is my favourite place on Earth whilst Vicki adores Wells-next-the-sea and all that stretch of Norfolk coast. Somerset is another favourite, especially around Wells/Cheddar/Glastonbury etc.
                            Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Anywhere with hills or mountains and open, wild country for me. Lakes and scenic villages are an added bonus if they appear over the crest of a hill or ridge of a mountain ,but not essential. Cannot choose a specific place, because every time I go somewhere new it gets the 'this is just the best' treatment. No loyalty me!!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X