As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Close shave

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close shave

Have you ever had a near disaster whilst camping?

Some years ago we were camping on site which was on quite a slope, we were on hard standing so were level. We went out in the van for the day which was unusual for us we normally like to walk from a site. When we got back a car at the top of the sloping campsite had a dodgy hand brake and had come careering down the site and into the motorhome which was next to ours, the tyre marks went right across our pitch. The motorhome next to us was a complete right off, luckily the people weren't inside.

It was a lucky escape for us because the day before we were sat outside the van right where the car had gone and if we had managed to jump out of the way it would have still hit our van.

I felt really sorry for the elderly couple who van was demolished, they lost their lovely van and obviously had to cut their holiday short, they were devastated.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Originally posted by Graham View Post
    Have you ever had a near disaster whilst camping?

Some years ago we were camping on site which was on quite a slope, we were on hard standing so were level. We went out in the van for the day which was unusual for us we normally like to walk from a site. When we got back a car at the top of the sloping campsite had a dodgy hand brake and had come careering down the site and into the motorhome which was next to ours, the tyre marks went right across our pitch. The motorhome next to us was a complete right off, luckily the people weren't inside.

It was a lucky escape for us because the day before we were sat outside the van right where the car had gone and if we had managed to jump out of the way it would have still hit our van.

I felt really sorry for the elderly couple who van was demolished, they lost their lovely van and obviously had to cut their holiday short, they were devastated.

That was close! bet you were glad you cancelled your walk for that day.
    derek b and Babs

Comment

When we lived in a large touring caravan, while hubby was travelling around with work, we were on a site that had an old fashioned metal water pump/windmill type thingy. It was only about 10yards away from where we were pitched when it got struck by lightening. I'm dead serious when I tell you that our caravan bounced. Never been so scared in my life. Thank goodness for rubber tyres.

Comment

What is it with dodgy handbrakes and us! - There was also the time when we were camping in Scotland when we were first married. We had a tent in those days, pitched it up and were sat eating our tea inside when there was a lot of commotion outside.

We jumped up and ran outside to find that a van further up the site, had come off its handbrake and the owner had just managed to jump in and turn the wheels before it ran into our tent. The back of the van had gas canisters in it and our tent had a cooker inside, so goodness knows what might have been had it hit us. We would certainly have been crushed as the van was stopped just inches from where we were sitting.

Comment

These are really scary stories. I am always dubious about the handbrake and often feel it to make sure it is on just in case. I also like to put the yellow ramps in front of the wheels, slope or not, just in case again!

Comment

Being brought up in Sheffiels and learning to drive there I was always taught to park "in gear", when facing up hill park in first and when downhill reverse.

Peter

Comment

Have you ever had a near disaster whilst camping? Some years ago we were camping on site which was on quite a slope, we were on hard standing so were level. We went out in the van for the day which was unusual for us we normally like to walk from a site. When we got back a car at the top of the sloping campsite had a dodgy hand brake and had come careering down the site and into the motorhome which was next to ours, the tyre marks went right across our pitch. The motorhome next to us was a complete right off, luckily the people weren't inside. It was a lucky escape for us because the day before we were sat outside the van right where the car had gone and if we had managed to jump out of the way it would have still hit our van. I felt really sorry for the elderly couple who van was demolished, they lost their lovely van and obviously had to cut their holiday short, they were devastated.
              Originally posted by Pauline View Post
              What is it with dodgy handbrakes and us! - There was also the time when we were camping in Scotland when we were first married. We had a tent in those days, pitched it up and were sat eating our tea inside when there was a lot of commotion outside. We jumped up and ran outside to find that a van further up the site, had come off its handbrake and the owner had just managed to jump in and turn the wheels before it ran into our tent. The back of the van had gas canisters in it and our tent had a cooker inside, so goodness knows what might have been had it hit us. We would certainly have been crushed as the van was stopped just inches from where we were sitting.
              Note to self - when arriving at the big spring meet, pitch away from Graham and Pauline, especially if they are at the bottom of a slope!
              Last edited by glenw; 12-04-2013, 12:41.
              Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by Pauline View Post
                What is it with dodgy handbrakes and us! - There was also the time when we were camping in Scotland when we were first married. We had a tent in those days, pitched it up and were sat eating our tea inside when there was a lot of commotion outside.

We jumped up and ran outside to find that a van further up the site, had come off its handbrake and the owner had just managed to jump in and turn the wheels before it ran into our tent. The back of the van had gas canisters in it and our tent had a cooker inside, so goodness knows what might have been had it hit us. We would certainly have been crushed as the van was stopped just inches from where we were sitting.
                I'd forgot about that one.
                Graham
                Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
                  Note to self - when arriving at the big spring meet, pitch away from Graham and Pauline, especially if they are at the bottom of a slope!

That's just reminded me of another one. Not camping related but when we lived in a terraced house we were in the house and heard a bang outside and went out and there was a car embedded in our car outside with no one in it. I looked around and saw to young lads heading down a jitty so I ran after them and caught up with them and they looked bamboozled and claimed it was nothing to do with them and didn't know what I was on about.

When I got back to the house a chap had appeared and said he'd parked at the top of the street to post a letter and left the hand brake off.

So that's the third incident, you are safe Glen.
                  Last edited by glenw; 12-04-2013, 12:41.
                  Graham

Comment

When I was living in North Warwickshire I had a similar experience except the van crashed through my front garden brick wall, sheared off the gas mains and landed hanging over the edge of the raised garden with the front of his van embedded in to my front door. We lived in a set of 7 terrace houses and everyone had to be evacuated for the morning whilst British Gas made the mains safe. The driver was speeding round a blind bend and says he hit a greasy patch. Took my solicitor ages to get compensation after the guy had been found guilty of dangerous driving. He was in a hired van and the company were very difficult- Bernard had to stop them trading to get them to pay up.
                    Ross was a babe in arms at the time and I had to grab him from his cot where he was fast asleep to get out before anything went 'boom' The farm up the road took us all in and looked after us for the morning. Scary stuff!

Comment

That's just reminded me of another one. Not camping related but when we lived in a terraced house we were in the house and heard a bang outside and went out and there was a car embedded in our car outside with no one in it. I looked around and saw to young lads heading down a jitty so I ran after them and caught up with them and they looked bamboozled and claimed it was nothing to do with them and didn't know what I was on about.

When I got back to the house a chap had appeared and said he'd parked at the top of the street to post a letter and left the hand brake off.

So that's the third incident, you are safe Glen.
                      We can see a pattern forming!
                      derek b and Babs

Comment

Originally posted by di allen View Post
                        When I was living in North Warwickshire I had a similar experience except the van crashed through my front garden brick wall, sheared off the gas mains and landed hanging over the edge of the raised garden with the front of his van embedded in to my front door. We lived in a set of 7 terrace houses and everyone had to be evacuated for the morning whilst British Gas made the mains safe. The driver was speeding round a blind bend and says he hit a greasy patch. Took my solicitor ages to get compensation after the guy had been found guilty of dangerous driving. He was in a hired van and the company were very difficult- Bernard had to stop them trading to get them to pay up.
                        Ross was a babe in arms at the time and I had to grab him from his cot where he was fast asleep to get out before anything went 'boom' The farm up the road took us all in and looked after us for the morning. Scary stuff!
                        That really does sound scary.
                        Graham

Comment

Camping Related!

Donkeys years ago when I was tent camping on the Isle of Wight,I drove my motorbike& sidecar along the coast road one night,it was dark and thick fog,suddenly my lights failed!
                          Knowing I had a straight road ahead I drove on,unable to see more than 6 feet ahead,---and drove straight over a cliff ! I fell 60ft landing in gorse and the combo landed on top of me!
                          A farmer in a tractor who had been following,used a long rope to get me,then the bike back up.
                          The bike started first kick,the lights came on,and I drove to where I was camped,my mates didn't believe it,till they noticed I was badly cut up and the bike was a bit battered!

Happy days

Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Ye gods! And these are the people I have chosen to camp and travel with!
                            Carpe diem! :)

Comment

any First Aiders amongst us?

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X