This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camping and Caravanning Club and Pup Tents

I can't find any information on what the CC&C Club current rules are on pup tents, I'd be interested to know if they have changed.

A few years ago we camped with our son and family, they were using a medium sized tent to sleep in (no cooking) which fitted easily within our pitch with lots of space around it, yet the site warden measured it, checked it and wandered about humming and ahhhing as to whether it must have a pitch of its own and incur an extra charge. In the end he said he would allow it "this time".

Not long after we got ourselves a large Movelite awning, it is really big but still fits easily within the pitch, it has two bedrooms and a living area and is far, far bigger than our sons tent so they come with us and sleep in the awning. It is accepted as being part of our unit for the club so no problems over whether we have to pay more.

So my question is: Why have a different rule for a tent which fits within the pitch over an awning that fits within a pitch??

Sounds like you had a particularly "jobsworth" warden. I keep a list of everywhere we've been, including club sites, and at 50% of C&CC sites that we've been to, the wardens have given us problems. They just employ the wrong type of person in my view. Shame because it puts us off using their sites, which are always nice and clean etc. If you go to a franchised site, you get much better treatment, but of course it is their own business in that case, so its in their interests to be good. Just my opinion and am only speaking as I've found. The other 50% have been very good.

Comment

The c&cc class a pup tent as ancillary equipment, along with awnings and toilet tents. The t&c's state:-

"It is a requirement that the unit (along with any ancillary equipment) fits within the confines of the pitch whilst maintaining the 6m rule. If this cannot be achieved the Customer may be required to purchase an additional pitch (if available) or remove the ancillary equipment."

I have no idea how they decide if you are using 2 units on a pitch or 1 unit made up of 2 parts.
      Last edited by glenw; 31-05-2013, 17:03.
      Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

I've never had a problem with any C & C C wardens, although I have been on sites with friends who have managed to upset them/be upset by them a couple of times.

It's interesting that the rules don't seem to mention pup tents anymore; IIRC it used to say something like "a small tent used only for sleeping", now all I can find is this:

"d It is a requirement that the unit (along with any ancillary equipment) fits within the confines of the pitch whilst maintaining the 6m rule. If this cannot be achieved the Customer may be required to purchase an additional pitch (if available) or remove the ancillary equipment.

e Toilet tents may only be erected within the confines of the pitch."

I imagine that an awning is classed as being part of the camping unit no matter how big it is, whereas a tent is subject to the wardens' discretion as to whether it is a "small" tent or not?

Oops, Glen beat me to it.

Comment

6m rule being ?

Comment

Originally posted by Insect View Post
            6m rule being ?
            From the caravan club:

To avoid the spread of fire, there must be at least 6 metres spacing between facing walls of adjacent caravans, motorhomes or trailer tents and a minimum clear space of 3 metres between adjoining outfits in any direction.
            Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
              From the caravan club:

To avoid the spread of fire, there must be at least 6 metres spacing between facing walls of adjacent caravans, motorhomes or trailer tents and a minimum clear space of 3 metres between adjoining outfits in any direction.
              And it's a shame that many independent sites don't also enforce such a space Too often they just want to pack 'em in as close as possible, especially in high season ........... this is particularly true of tents.

As far as I know there is no statutory backing for the 6m requirement, it is just a requirement set by the two main Clubs and perhaps by some local authorities for sites within their jurisdiction, but I might be wrong on that?
              .......... Sid

Comment

We have just been on a site in Spain where there were no rules, vans were almost touching and the big static vans were so close you could reach out of a window and touch the one behind! Goodness knows what would have happened if one had caught fire

Comment

Sounds like you needed that lady that Mary and I encountered at the CC site, she had to close her awning curtains AND it was the last night of her holiday Sorry - you would had to have been there..... Hope you had a lovely time in spite of your very close neighbours, glad you are back safe and sound

Comment

Originally posted by Pauline View Post
                    We have just been on a site in Spain where there were no rules, vans were almost touching and the big static vans were so close you could reach out of a window and touch the one behind! Goodness knows what would have happened if one had caught fire
                    Some years ago I had a camping holiday in Britanny with a group of friends. We spent our last night on a site in St. Malo to be near the ferry the next morning. To avoid puncturing the adjacent tents with our pegs we had to shorten our guy ropes as far as they'd go and then angle them at about 45 degrees to the tent side.

6 metres? Put a decimal point in front of it and I suspect that would still have been generous!
                    Geoff

Comment

I believe that in the UK it is a Legal requirement of all camp sites, enforced by the Local Authorities! Might need to check this as we are getting lots of campers in this area next week

Comment

I also have only once in 30 years had troubles with a warden of a clubsite. I wrote and complained to the C&CC and got an apology. I am a believer in treating people how I would like to be treated.
                        Regards, Robinjim.

Comment