This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electricity in France

Apologies if this has been asked before - i did a trawl and couldn't find this topic so thought i'd ask.

We've only ever camped in France so i feel a bit ignorant about requirements over there and we are off next Sunday.

Ok here goes:

1) Will our mains hookup work in France or do we need to buy some sort of adapter? I was told that EHU are pretty standard across Europe now.

2) We have an ACSI card and I notice they have a limit of 4 kilowatts a day. I have no idea how much that actually represents in real terms. We have a Romahome Duo with standard fridge and tend to use an electric kettle for tea and coffee etc. I also charge my computer and our phones and my partner a radio at night but no TV. Has anyone any approximate idea how much of the 4 kilowatts this might use - or indeed if it would eat up all of it?

Many thanks
    Jules

Hello Jules

We have done a little piece on our website about electricity in France which might be of use. Read it HERE

A lot of the hook ups are British style but need to be checked for polarity see our article on the website we take one of THESE.

We take an adapter as well SEE HERE in case the hooks ups are the French type.

Not sure how many kilowatts a day you are likely to use but we have never had any trouble and carry much the same sort of equipment as you.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Thanks Graham, that's very clear. I'll get one of those adaptors.

Comment

Of the 5 sites we visited last week 3 were normal cable, 1 was the 2 pin type adaptor and one needed the crossover lead I had already made up, switching live and neutral over, although the van next to us was happily? plugged in with a normal cable!

Tony Anchorman

Comment

Hi Jules
          We are off to France on Saturday for three weeks, might see you there! If you do happen to have a spare mains cable it is always worth taking it, as some ehu's are further than any UK site I have stayed on. I would say 2 pin and crossover cables are essential, as is a mains polarity tester plug. Ours is always plugged in, just in case someone 'adjusts' the supply whilst we are on site. Bring on the sunshine, and look out for an R40 in your travels.
          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by niloc View Post
            Hi Jules
            We are off to France on Saturday for three weeks, might see you there!

Crickey is everyone on this forum going to France next week, Jules, Snobbyafghan and now Colin, it's going to be mighty lonely on this board.
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

We're not, we are going to Cornwall!!
              Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Im not, Im going to the Cotswolds.
                Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Hi Niloc, Colin? where you going in France?

We are the Duo disembarking in Cherbourg on Sunday arvo. We''ll look out for your R40, for sure.

Thanks everyone for the advice - have now got the polarity tester and will get the 2 pin adaptor biz and try to persuade partner about the crossover cable thang.

Nowt wrong with Cotswolds (lovely part of the world) and Cornwall (from whence my ancestors set out from to go to Australia in the 1860s).

This barbie biz is still exercising my brain - think we might give in and get a gas one.

Graham, you should come over and join us all!

Comment

Jules
                    We are going to Cherbourg on Sunday - Condor Line from Portsmouth. Are you on the same one? If so, look out for a red Berlingo towing what looks like a trailer-tent (but isn't…!).

Regarding crossover cables - I've never bothered. A polarity tester will warn you if the supply is the "wrong" way round so then you just have to remember that your appliances are still live even if turned off.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by rofrano View Post

Graham, you should come over and join us all!
                      Funnily enough we do normally go to France this time of year in fact this year is the first year for ages that we haven't but we decided on a change and are staying in this country.
                      Graham

Comment

Hi Jules
                        In true motorhome spirit we don't book anywhere in France. The first stop is 'planned' on a site where the wife is secretary to the local vet and books ahead so that we can have the dog checked before returning home. Other than that it is a case of where the weather is best or we light on a campsite that suits us.
                        We are travelling on the train on Saturday, but remember, every motorhome driver waves in France as in the UK, so you will have to look out for the Romahome emblazoned on the overcab if we come your way.
                        And we will look out for a trailer tent that isn't!
                        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                          Crickey is everyone on this forum going to France next week, Jules, Snobbyafghan and now Colin, it's going to be mighty lonely on this board.
                          Hi Graham
                          Don't think you can get away with anything whilst some of us are in France, they have WiFi and dongles over there too!
                          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                            Funnily enough we do normally go to France this time of year in fact this year is the first year for ages that we haven't but we decided on a change and are staying in this country.
                            Looks like a French Meet coming on!

Colin
                            Made a rash decision before we went to France and took off the steadies, glad I did as a lot of the villages now have 30kph limits with slopes up and down on the road , which I would have definitely have done damage with them on, the extra 2 inches seemed to help. The one at Eurotunnel coming back at Passport Control was a bit too high for comfort as well, however no problems on and off the trains.
                            Looks like air-ride coming soon.

Tony Anchorman

Comment

Originally posted by anchorman View Post
                              Looks like a French Meet coming on!

Colin
                              Made a rash decision before we went to France and took off the steadies, glad I did as a lot of the villages now have 30kph limits with slopes up and down on the road , which I would have definitely have done damage with them on, the extra 2 inches seemed to help. The one at Eurotunnel coming back at Passport Control was a bit too high for comfort as well, however no problems on and off the trains.
                              Looks like air-ride coming soon.

Tony Anchorman
                              Thanks for the warning Tony.
                              One other thought and that is weather forecasts. I have been using this site as, not only is it in English, but it gives a wide range of towns and very in depth information:
                              http://www.wunderground.com/global/FR.html

Colin

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X