This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review: Plusterwine Farm Certificated Site, Nr Lydney, Gloucestershire

We have just spent a very enjoyable long weekend at Plusterwine Farm Campsite near Lydney in Gloucestershire. This is a C&CC site and is ideally placed for exploring Gloucestershire, Avon and the Welsh borders.

The site is in an excellent location just off the A48 - halfway between Lydney and Chepstow. It makes an ideal base for exploring the Forest of Dean and the Welsh border towns. it has a pub just a few minutes walk away whilst the little village of Woolaston has a few shops - about 15 minutes amble from site.
    The weather was atrocious during our stay with thunderstorms and gale force winds whipping across site but despite this the site drained well, no mud to be seen and the shower block was kept spotlessly clean throughout. The loos and showers are worth a special mention actually as despite being in a portacabin they are amongst the best I have ever seen. Proper showers like the ones you would get at home - no awkward push button, fixed head showers here.

There are excellent views across the river Severn and the bridge in the distance makes for a very impressive site.

The site is housed on a working farm so there are lots of cows around - my little boy was fascinated watching the animals mooching about the adjacent field. There are no specific facilities for kids on site but there is an open area where they can run about and play games and the site is very quiet with little to no traffic to worry about.

The owners are very friendly and you can expect a very warm welcome upon arrival. They are also very knowledgeable about the local area and more than happy to show children the animals and workings of the farm.

Dogs are well catered for as you can walk right round the farm and virtually all the way to the river. On wet days though some of the paths become a bit boggy so wellies are a good idea.

There are 5 hard standings, plus numerous grass pitches, all with electric hook up and then space for additional tents along the far side with no hook up. A couple of motorhomes were making use of the overflow field adjacent as well during our stay.

There is a little bit of noise intrusion from the railway line that runs not far from the site but to be honest it didn't bother us at all during our stay.

It's also worth mentioning that the loos are unisex but all are in fully enclosed compartments so there is no chance of being disturbed whilst about your business and privacy is assured. Even my Wife who is notoriously squeamish about toilet facilities found them to be fine.

At £15 a night including hook up and showers that rank among the best I have seen on any site anywhere this is a bargain not to be missed.

http://www.campingan....aspx?id=162204plusterwine 1.jpgplusterwine 2.jpg
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

That looks like one for me,its a place I like lots.Thankyou for the informative write up!
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Lydney is a pleasant area to visit with a recently restored harbour. It's even better when there's a Severn Bore rushing up the river.

I often visit - it's just a 225 minute drive from home. I wasn't aware of the CL though but that's probably because I wild-camp near the harbour!!

Comment