This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yorkshire family history trip

I am travelling to Yorkshire on Friday for my annual ' long ' holiday. Staying at Bakewell CCC site for two nights - praying I dont meet anyone coming the other way on the access road! Then maybe to Dobrudden in Baildon - where my grandfather was born. Next stop Cononley and trips on the train to Bradford Central Library for hopefully successful look-ups. York for a few days then to Scarborough site and home. This is quite an adventure for me as have never driven so far but am excited to visit my ancestors home territory for the first time.

I really love wild and windy places so perhaps it is in the genes although I am a soft south-westerner!

Lizzie

Sounds wonderful! You'll be ok, Lizzie, If you're anything like I am, then you'll do all the worrying before you go... only to find the worst never happens (touch wood).

I hope you find some references to your family and history there! Good luck with the quest!

Comment

Sounds like an interesting trip - a nice mix of travelling/exploring, doing stuff, and most importantly, relaxing I hope

Have a good holiday.
      Neil

Comment

yorkshire family history trip

Thank you both for your good wishes. I always seem to have trouble leaving but once on the road feel fine! Just finished my last shift at work so I can now let that go and concentrate on packing. My Roma is perfect for all my hobbies including family history research. I have just been to Yeovil Maplins to buy an inverter so that I can charge my netbook, radio etc while off hookup. Having the pullman layout gives me plenty of worktop area to lay out all my paperwork and to use the netbook. My grandfathers name is Arthur Oddy. I always thought having such an unusual name would make my research a real doddle but I am told this is a very common surname in Yorkshire! Hey ho!
        Has anyone tried geocaching? I thought this sounded fun but having bought an entry level handheld gps I cannot work out how to use it!

Lizzie

Comment

It is not wild or windy in Yorkshire today. I live fairly close to Baildon and Cononley and you'll just need 3 extra layers looking at the forecast.
          Oddy is a fairly common name in West Yorkshire.
          Don't forget your passport.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
          Working...
          X