This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soda bread in double skillet

For the days when you run out and don't feel like going to the shops.

8 oz (250g) Strong wholemeal flour (I'm sure that white flour would be OK)
    1/4(quarter) (1.25ml) tsp salt
    1 tsp (5ml) baking powder
    1/2(half) tsp (2.5ml) bicarbonate of soda
    1 tsp (5ml) soft brown sugar (not demerara) (any sugar would probably be OK)
    5 fl oz (150ml) milk and water

Mix all together to make a soft dough and put in pre-heated skillet on medium to low heat for 30 mins.

Not the prettiest of loaves, but it tastes good and is very easy. Measure out dry ingredients before you leave home and just add liquid when required.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Graham; 19-06-2010, 10:55. Reason: Changed 500g to 250g as requested by Wendy

This looks great Wendy, I'm getting into a bit of cooking (simple stuff) just lately & this gives me the chance to try something new. All I need is to win the "double skillet comp"! Mind, it'll be the only thing I've ever won .
    On second thoughts, I may just order one.

Derwen

Comment

Wendy this is a really useful tip. We often run out of bread and it is a pain just going out for that. Easy enough to make a small supply of dry ingredients for emergencies.

May not be beautiful, as you say, but the 'proof of the pudding' as they say 'is not in the looking'!

Comment

Originally posted by Derwen View Post
        This looks great Wendy, I'm getting into a bit of cooking (simple stuff) just lately & this gives me the chance to try something new. All I need is to win the "double skillet comp"! Mind, it'll be the only thing I've ever won .
        On second thoughts, I may just order one.

Derwen
        Hang fire, you might win the competition, we are hoping to sort it as soon as we get back from our holidays.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Apologies everyone, but I've just realised that I have put the wrong amount of flour in my recipe.
          It should be 8ozs or 250g. The original recipe was double the amount I used and I didn't think properly when I copied it down.

Hope that noone has had a big mishap.

Message to self: Be more careful in future and think before writing

Admin - is it possible to edit the original recipe?

Comment

Wendy

I made the bread yesterday (in the oven unfortunately). It's great! You will be pleased to know I made it in old money, so to speak, and didn't notice the grams!

Thank you - I will try a camping version soon.

Liz

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post

Admin - is it possible to edit the original recipe?
              Sorted that for you Wendy.

Right now where did I put that sun tan lotion.

Graham (having a day lounging in the sun for a change.)
              Graham
              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Thanks for changing that, Graham. These 'senior moments' are coming too frequently.

Lizp, glad that you found the recipe good - 'old money' has it's uses still. I'm going to try using half and half wholemeal and strong white flours next time.

I also have a nice oatmeal bread recipe that I will try in the skillet sometime. Watch this space!

Comment

Following on from Wendy's suggestion, we took a small packet of bread mix with us last week for emergencies. We did run out after 4 days so resorted to the packet.

Used half a packet of the mix, followed all the instructions and then mixed it up in the double skillet pan. Kneaded it in the double skillet, made four rolls, covered it in clingfilm in the double skillet, put it on the dashboard. It rose perfectly and then just popped the top of the double skillet on and cooked it on the top of the hob for 30/35 mins and we had perfect tasty home baked rolls to go with our meal and two for lunch next day. Not even any washing up!

Comment

That's sounds good, Flo. I made some soda bread yesterday in the van, using half wholemeal and half white flour. It came out really well.
                    Clingfilm on a slightly damp surface makes a good place for kneading dough and no messy surfaces afterwards.
                    Last edited by wendy; 29-06-2010, 20:33.

Comment

Although the Dimension has a very good beer cellar, we did run out and not yet got a recipe to make that in the van so I had to go without for the remainder of the week and it was just so hot last week!!!!!!!!!!!!! A nice cold lager would have gone down a treat after a long walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo View Post
                        Although the Dimension has a very good beer cellar, we did run out and not yet got a recipe to make that in the van so I had to go without for the remainder of the week and it was just so hot last week!!!!!!!!!!!!! A nice cold lager would have gone down a treat after a long walk.
                        You could always make Ginger beer! its dead easy and likes hot weather.
                        Its a one bottle/jar/demijohn job. all the ingredients go in at once, stopper with rolled cloth bung, allow to ferment, it smells nice, and you dont filter, you pour and drink, chill the ferment vessel if you want cold G.beer.

Ian

Lots of quick recipes on google using 2L plastic bottles, ready to drink in 24 hours. You could take the premeasured ingredients and brew on holiday.
                        Hic Hic Happy Camping
                        Last edited by Ian.C.S; 30-06-2010, 10:56.
                        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

twin1

For the days when you run out and don't feel like going to the shops.

8 oz (250g) Strong wholemeal flour (I'm sure that white flour would be OK)
                          1/4(quarter) (1.25ml) tsp salt
                          1 tsp (5ml) baking powder
                          1/2(half) tsp (2.5ml) bicarbonate of soda
                          1 tsp (5ml) soft brown sugar (not demerara) (any sugar would probably be OK)
                          5 fl oz (150ml) milk and water

Mix all together to make a soft dough and put in pre-heated skillet on medium to low heat for 30 mins.

Not the prettiest of loaves, but it tastes good and is very easy. Measure out dry ingredients before you leave home and just add liquid when required.
                          Thankyou so much.Will give it a go tomorrow .Will let you know how I get on.
                          Not very good on the baking side but here goes.

Comment

That's sounds good, Flo. I made some soda bread yesterday in the van, using half wholemeal and half white flour. It came out really well.
                            Clingfilm on a slightly damp surface makes a good place for kneading dough and no messy surfaces afterwards.
                            Hi Wendy, what a good tip, "Clingfilm on a slightly damp surface" must remember that one............:so happy:
                            Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                            'Live without regrets'

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                              You could always make Ginger beer! its dead easy and likes hot weather.
                              Its a one bottle/jar/demijohn job. all the ingredients go in at once, stopper with rolled cloth bung, allow to ferment, it smells nice, and you dont filter, you pour and drink, chill the ferment vessel if you want cold G.beer.

Ian

Lots of quick recipes on google using 2L plastic bottles, ready to drink in 24 hours. You could take the premeasured ingredients and brew on holiday.
                              Hic Hic Happy Camping
                              don't like ginger beer But could be interested in a link to the other recipes using 2L plastic bottles. It is time I caught up with my kids in acquiring skills and knowledge in this area...I have never made a cocktail either...though have drunk quite a few.
                              Carpe diem! :)

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X