Protecting your carpet in bad weather.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protecting your carpet in bad weather.

I was setting off in my Romahome last weekend. The weather was wet and windy and the brown bathroom mats I usually use to save my carpet weren't much good when going in and out regularly with heavy damp shoes, as they kept getting in a pickle. I then remembered an old yoga mat I had, which had been superseded by a better one and tried that along the van floor. It wasn't ideal as it was slightly too long and did move minimally but it certainly served the purpose for my trip and was easy to adjust when necessary. No more ruffled mats and an easily wiped floor. I could have taken the carpet out completely as it's only fastened with studs but with the temperatures as they were my old yoga mat also provided extra insulation below. I may now try to 'doctor' it so that it fits more snugly and hopefully doesn't move at all.

Originally posted by Yvonne Currie View Post
    I was setting off in my Romahome last weekend. The weather was wet and windy and the brown bathroom mats I usually use to save my carpet weren't much good when going in and out regularly with heavy damp shoes, as they kept getting in a pickle. I then remembered an old yoga mat I had, which had been superseded by a better one and tried that along the van floor. It wasn't ideal as it was slightly too long and did move minimally but it certainly served the purpose for my trip and was easy to adjust when necessary. No more ruffled mats and an easily wiped floor. I could have taken the carpet out completely as it's only fastened with studs but with the temperatures as they were my old yoga mat also provided extra insulation below. I may now try to 'doctor' it so that it fits more snugly and hopefully doesn't move at all.
    A good idea! I used to un-popper the smaller carpet, in the entrance / kitchen part of my Hylo, and leave that at home. Then put washable mats over the rest of the carpeting. If going to a place I knew would get muddy, eg a festival, I'l leave the main carpet at home as well. A pity we can't do that with the R25 carpet, which seems to be fastened down more securely.
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

The first thing I did after buying my van was to remove the impractical cream carpet and replace it with washable mats.

Most of the places I visit tend to be muddy and I really don't want this in my van.

Another option is to buy a roll of self-adhesive clear carpet protector film. I've used this a few times both at home on a white carpet (no, I didn't choose it - the previous owner did!). It takes a few moments to unroll a strip onto carpet/matting but it will stay in place for months and guard against mud, grass, sand, soil, spills etc and when it's time to replace it, it simply peels off.

Comment

I have a small doormat at the door end of my caravan, and I bought a hall runner carpet for the rest of the space, which is just put over the top of the fitted carpet in my caravan. This is small enough to just take out and brush clean and occasionally wash outside in the summer. It was only about £6 or £7 from my local market, so no big deal if it gets so muddy it won't come clean. However, at the end of the summer if it's looking grubby, I wash it with soap flakes and a yard brush in the garden, then rinse with the hosepipe, and it looks like new again!

Comment

When we first got our demountable we fitted a foam backed carpet which stayed nice for about a year then started looking a bit forlorn, so we have now fitted "Flowtex" like a fuzzy vinyl, designed for kitchens and bathrooms and totally waterproof and washable.

Comment

Two pairs of shoes are essential in my experience in bad weather. One pair for outside and another for inside. Crocs are ideal for indoors having a thick sole.

Comment

I took out the peppered mats and have replaced it with a runner mat, it is long and narrow and width wise is a perfect fit, slightly too long but happily bends over the footwell. It was inexpensive and easily replaced. Then in the footwell I have the some washable mats. Works for me. It makes it more cosy if you have a carpet under your feet but you need things you can wash and are easily replaced.

Comment

A friend bought a van and the previous owners boasted that the carpet was like new because they had used the "self-adhesive clear carpet protector film" that Karen mentions. It's the stuff dealers usually put in to protect the carpet whilst potential purchasers tramp all over it. It's OK as a temporary measure - but my friend took it off and the carpet underneath was horrible - all the little holes and tears that inevitably occur when the van is being used had let in the muck and it was too ingrained to be cleaned properly so she threw it out and bought a short runner instead.

I use washable cotton rugs on top of the carpet which keep the worst of the muck off. Throw them in the washing machine and hoover the carpet and it's soon all good to go again.

Comment

We ripped our original mat when trasnporting a flat-pack wardrobe which still had a nail in! Still we were planning to do something about it anyway - we'd tried that stick on clear plastic but didn't really like it. So we dumped our original carpet and replaced it with vinyl cushion-floor. We got an oddment for about £10 from our local floor-covering shop and cut it to fix. We got some of those press-studs and a tool and fitted press-studs to the vinyl flooring so that it stays in place just like the carpet did. Then we found Cotswold Mat Company in Cirencester selling that dirt-stopper type washable cotton doormat on a roll which they would cut to size for us. So we bought a couple of custom size bits - one runner for the length of the main van and a square bit for the R20's galley area. It was a pain for a couple of months as it shed fluff but once it had settled down it has been brilliant. These cotton mats sit atop the vinyl flooring so we have a double layer of insulation and the van is still comfortable should the mats be out being washed.

Comment