As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inside Your PC

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside Your PC

When was the last time you checked inside your Desktop PC?

Hopefully no one had to encounter this build up of dust/foreign bodies may they rest in peace

Please Note Photo`s were taken from another site online
    here

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/26/ventblockers_2/

Will someone please Call out Rentokil

Glad i checked mine before posting this thread

Billy
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Wanderer101 View Post
    When was the last time you checked inside your Desktop PC? .....
    Will someone please Call out Rentokil
    Billy
    Gross. That must be a couple of year's worth. When keyboards were more mechanical part of my job was taking the keys off (watch where all the springs ended up!!) and clean out all the muck ugh, the worst were some Managers who insisted on eating their lunch all over their keyboard.

Comment

I've had to completely rebuild my PC several times over the last year so it's been taken apart quite regularly. Even though it's only 12 weeks since the last rebuild, I was surprised by just how much dust had built up during this time.

I think it's probably a good idea to check it over every few months and especially to clean out the fan which seems to clog with dust quite quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
        I've had to completely rebuild my PC several times over the last year so it's been taken apart quite regularly. Even though it's only 12 weeks since the last rebuild, I was surprised by just how much dust had built up during this time.

I think it's probably a good idea to check it over every few months and especially to clean out the fan which seems to clog with dust quite quickly.
        I'd love to get the dust out of mine, but I daren't try it in case I break or disconnect something! Anyone got patience/time to explain how?

Comment

It really is very easy. Just unscrew/slide off the side casing ensuring it's switched off at the mains (but can still be plugged in to act as an earth/ or 'earth' yourself via the metal casing or radiator).

Once off you'll probably see a lot of dust on everything if it's anything like my PC which acts as a dust magnet. Over the fan there will be a large plastic 'duct' which is usually just clipped or pushed on and can be safely removed for a thorough dusting. Behind this is the fan which is especially prone to becoming clogged with thick dust which I generally remove in clumps with my fingers. I then give the rest of the PC's innards a good dusting - the small vacuum cleaners designed for cameras are good for this.

Unless you're especially clumsy, it's highly unlikely you'll knock anything out of place but even if you do, you can usually just push it back into place - components just slot into place and are held securely with retaining clips.

There's really not a lot to it - so have a go!

Comment

Thanks for that explanation, Karen, really appreciate it. Will have a go a bit later when it's turned of and cooled down!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
              Thanks for that explanation, Karen, really appreciate it. Will have a go a bit later when it's turned of and cooled down!
              Go for it and feel proud of the heap of dust you'll probably extract!

Comment

Laptop owners - don't feel smug and think you don't have dust, too.

The little fan that draws air over the CPU also brings in lots of dust, hairs and unmentionables.

Depending on how dusty your environment is, it is a good idea to clean out the channels with a shot of compressed air. At that time, you can make sure the fan is turning smoothly as well.

If you don't your laptop will run much hotter. For older ones, that means it will reduce the life significantly. For newer ones, the cpu will slow down to generate less heat.

How to clean it? Google for cleaning dust notebook and you will find helpful videos and advice.

Peter
                http://nomadness.benlo.com

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X