Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gasgas
    replied
    I reckon that if you want a C15, you could do worse than travel to an area of France or Germany where they don't have frosts and therefore salt, and buy one there. Bring it back here and change it to RHD, and put your pod on it. The RHD bits won't rust away so you should be able to find them easily enough on rusted English ones. It's only a car so you don't need any heavy lifting equipment apart from swapping the pod.

. . . . . .says he, not having changed a pod. I have changed a German coachbuilt Talbot Express from LHD to RHD in my driveway though. That was a bit of fun and something to do to while away the evenings. That Talbot Express had absolutely no rust, unlike all the ones you see for sale here.

Leave a comment:

• Voyageuse
    replied
    Originally posted by Mobilekat View Post
    I will admit when looking for my van the MOT checker site became my best friend.
    Ditto.
    Rust seems to be a big problem for C15s. The age of the ones I was looking at, I didn't find one that hadn't at some stage had a lengthy list of rust-related advisories or fails. In the end I chose one that had had its midlife crisis several years back and seemed to have pulled through and had a clean bill of health ever since, time will tell if this was the right choice. Also the sellers seem very genuine and honest people which gives me hope.

Leave a comment:

• Mobilekat
    replied
    I will admit when looking for my van the MOT checker site became my best friend.
    saved us a lot of money in wasted travel to look at vehicles with dodgy histories, and also flagged up dealer who lied about MOT status!

Leave a comment:

• karenw
    replied
    It's a useful and interesting resource. I've used it to follow my old Kangoo panel van to see if it was still used as a camper (it is) and to locate its whereabouts (until MOT centres were removed from the site). There was some corrosion in the nearside sill which required some welding - an expensive job for me to rectify and interesting to note that the van had to travel for this to be undertaken following a subsequent MOT fail. My former Kangoo Roo is also monitored and enjoying lots of travels judging by the steadily increasing mileage. More recently I was interested in a local vehicle which has lain neglected in a sheep field for +14 months following its owner's death and really needs to be out and about again.

Leave a comment:

• BrianTheSnail
    replied
    Thanks Andrew. I just checked up the MOT history of my old C15 Hytop that rusted under me. I felt guilty selling it as we didn't get much and we'd thrown more than a few quid at trying to get rid of the rust in the subframe, sills, doors etc. It was encouraging to see it failed its next MOT and the owner (who ran a used car place) got about 1,000 miles out of it. Even more encouraging was that after that in 2010 it was out of service for a while but in 2016 it got re MOT'd and only failed for something trivial so passed and again (after a retest IIRC) in 2017. So despite MOT advisories over sub-frame rust it is back on the road!

Be great to meet up with it some day. It's 30 years old this year.

If you are reading this and owner of C15 Hytop F685LSL please say "Hi" - we have fond memories.

Leave a comment:

• gasgas
    started a topic Before buying a motorhome, do this

Before buying a motorhome, do this

I am posting this because I have recently known of two people who would have benefitted greatly and saved a lot of money if they had done it. It doesn't cost anything.
    Apart from the usual advice to either check it out yourself or get a knowledgeable person to do it for you, I would suggest you look up the MOT history of it on the gov web site. Not everyone is aware of this facility.
    Take this example of a very nice looking classic camper which is currently on ebay. It is a Talbot Express based high top panel van conversion and looks very nice indeed. Outside that is - the inside is something I would want to do extensive reworking on! There is nothing wrong with it, I am not picking out a rogue but it is a current example anyone can look at, and you can bid for it if you like. (obviously check it out mechanically first!). It looks from the photos as if it must have had a lot of bodywork done, as it seems to have been resprayed, nicely. Its reg is B712 JMY and you can look up its mileage and MOT history on https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk. There you will see that it had a constant history of first time passes until August 2015 when it failed miserably on 6 points of excessive corrosion. It failed on the 26th August, then it passed on 2 September, with the same mileage. It has passed three times since then with small additions to the mileage. To me that means that the garage they took it to probably did the repairs and passed it. That is what I call a solid, good record which makes the camper worth going to look at. There is one flaw though - the advert says 'no advisories' but the MOT history says there is an advisory of sill damage. I wouldn't let that put me off though, the seller could have just forgotten about it as it doesn't really matter. It's probably just a kerb or rock dent. So, if I were looking for a cheap camper I would certainly go and look at that one.
    A car I was interested in recently was advertised as about 68,000 miles and when I checked the MOT and mileage on the gov web site I found that a year ago the mileage was well into the 90,000s. I sent a message to the seller asking for an explanation and the response I got was "solld". Yes, solld with two ls. A day or two later It remained for sale on ebay still with 68,000 miles. So the seller was obviously up to no good and my quick check on the gov web site saved me going to look at it, and whatever it cost in buying it.
    I heard of someone recently who bought a camper with a year's MOT and when he took it for its next MOT a year later the tester put his hand through a hole in the bodywork underneath and refused to go any further with the test. The unfortunate buyer had paid £4500 for it, and threw it away as he was too depressed to contemplate the repair costs. So it does pay to get someone who knows what they are looking at, as well as checking the gov MOT history site.