GOING GO POD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alive23512 View Post
    I was very suprised at what I was reading. My 1398cc Jimny, normally a little rocket, is worse than useless at towing the Pod on any incline. Coming back from Southport with the new Pod I was down to 3rd gear twice on the M6. Very embarrassing with the HGV's romping past me. On the way to Barnard Castle recently I was down to 2cnd gear twice on the A66. Shock! Apologies to all for not putting this on the more relevant thread.

Tony
    Here's a good site to check whether your car and caravan match and what sort of performance you can expect from your car when towing.

http://www.towcar.info/

There are so many lightweight cars out there now (good petrol consumption and speed when not towing) which are not so good for towing. Not only because of the weight or cc of engine either. I nearly bought an automatic car (1600cc) engine, but it had a 'constant variable' auto gearbox which, it turned out when I checked, wouldn't pull a peanut! I came across a few others were rejected for similar reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
      Here's a good site to check whether your car and caravan match and what sort of performance you can expect from your car when towing.

http://www.towcar.info/

There are so many lightweight cars out there now (good petrol consumption and speed when not towing) which are not so good for towing. Not only because of the weight or cc of engine either. I nearly bought an automatic car (1600cc) engine, but it had a 'constant variable' auto gearbox which, it turned out when I checked, wouldn't pull a peanut! I came across a few others were rejected for similar reasons.
      At one time, fitting an after-market oil cooler to an automatic transmission vehicle for towing was usually very necessary to prevent gasification of the fluid when working hard. I am not sure what the situation is now, but I think it would be wise to ask questions of an expert before considering an automatic as a tow-car. Especially in hilly areas.
      Jim.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
        At one time, fitting an after-market oil cooler to an automatic transmission vehicle for towing was usually very necessary to prevent gasification of the fluid when working hard. I am not sure what the situation is now, but I think it would be wise to ask questions of an expert before considering an automatic as a tow-car. Especially in hilly areas.
        Jim.
        Very wise, Jim. My last car (an old, 93K on the clock, Nissan Almera) had one fitted as standard! They were way ahead of their time, the Nissan cars. Not sure about this one - it doesn't even have a temperature gauge! However, trusting to luck and the AA, I've towed it up and down hills, reversed it over and over (because it's hard to reverse, just like yours!) and done long distances in it without the temp light coming on. I can't seem to find out if it has an oil cooler fitted as standard, though. It does, however, have lots of computerised bits and bobs to drive me insane!

Comment

Originally posted by David stringer View Post
          Are there any other going go pod owners out there ? Buzzndave with peg the pod
          in march there was 14 new Pods in the yard at going Southport/ awaiting new owners .and 32 of us will meet up in October for a pow wow.
          BuzznDave

Comment

this my last post on the Gopod thread as we have sold our pod .I hope another podder out there will continue the interest in pods on this Forum
            BuzznDave

Comment

It's something I'm considering for the future and ticks many boxes, but not ideal for wildcamping.

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
                It's something I'm considering for the future and ticks many boxes, but not ideal for wildcamping.
                I'm not sure any caravan is really suitable for wild camping? If I wanted to go down that route I think I'd want to do it in a campervan, in which it must be much easier to find a 'hiding place'?
                Cynthia.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave and Pat View Post
                  this my last post on the Gopod thread as we have sold our pod .I hope another podder out there will continue the interest in pods on this Forum
                  It doesn't have to be your last post Dave, I'm sure you can still offer help and advice on pods, even if just from memory

Comment

Thanks Pauline I was just looking for a podder to keep the thread going but I will keep an eye on it .Cynthia our problem is the length of the front garden a small motor home will not fit on it this would be our first choice keep pats Surf but as we all do work within our restrictions there are places to wild camp that me in pod with the r10 and pat Nu surf go to . photo s of wild camping
                    Attached Files
                    BuzznDave

Comment

another one DSCF0492.JPG
                      BuzznDave

Comment

I understand people like the security of a site also having shower hot water washing pots hardstanding and company. And the EHU , fullsizeoutput_92.jpeg unless you have a unit designed to be free of 230 volt mains. its a mater of choice.
                        BuzznDave

Comment

thanks JJ and.. Jim I hope the winters being kind to you and we see you this year at a meet .. thanks for the toe car caravan matchhttp://www.towcar.info/ I ran it and my car caravan is a perfect match all we need now is
                          BuzznDave

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post
                            I'm not sure any caravan is really suitable for wild camping? If I wanted to go down that route I think I'd want to do it in a campervan, in which it must be much easier to find a 'hiding place'? Cynthia.
                            I fully agree. I'm just trying to work out a way of year-round camping via a Daewoo Matiz and know there will be a lot of compromises because it's too small to sleep in!

Comment

As you can see from the photos these were not hiding places .we could be seen and be see for miles .By wild camping by definition not on a site .Although the two Pics we were all all on our own .. We are now set up to be free from the 230v Mains lead .We wish you well with your Daewoo Matiz. Yes its all about Compromises and we all have different thoughts . We will mainly be in rally fields .But We will re visit the two above and have planes for some more .Our first choice would to have kept Pats Nu Surf but it wont fit on the front garden.Living in the town centre has its advantages parking is not one of them. Our main priority was a.parking b and its size . c.A bathroom . d hot water. e shower .f,and able to be free of 230v mains .Like you say Compromises ! and boy that does give you some head aches!
                              BuzznDave

Comment

Very much so. I've inherited my father's Daewoo Matiz - it's getting on for 16 but has a very low mileage, much life left in it and prior to my acquisition, had never even been wet (this has changed now with rain, snow, mud, cow pats...).

Living in a rural area with parking for 4-5 vehicles (incl 8' trailer) plus a plot of land 20 miles away, we don't have the same parking restrictions and my criteria is ££. I don't need bathroom, shower, hot water etc, just year-round shelter, bed, 12V power supply and simple cooking facility. I felt a Go-Pod wouldn't be ideal on our narrow single-track lanes yet we tow a fully-laden 8' trailer without any problems.

I do some urban wildcamping which wouldn't be ideal but mostly I'm rural and reasonably remote. Good to see it's easily towed by an R10.

Comment