No announcement yet.

sink top and bowel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When we had the Camplet it had a hole where a sink should be but no actual sink. We got a stainless steel mixing bowl from Wilko's for a few quid that fitted the hole perfectly, drilled a hole in the bottom and fitted a waste and hey presto, instant sink.

I pride myself on being a pretty good speller but what i do find when i am typing is that i miss whole words out of sentences. No idea why as i don't do it when i am writing with a pen but typing on a keyboard it happens frequently. You will see on the forum that nearly all my posts are edited and its almost always because i have missed a word out. I find it maddening because i don't notice it at all at the time. I am always shocked when i read a post back and find i have missed a word. It is as if my brain thinks the word but it doesn't send the signal to my hands.

There are also a few words that i always spell incorrectly no matter how hard i try. Defitnetl defintly definetly defenitelty definitely!

Acoomodation Accomoadtion accomodation acomoddation accommodation!
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Originally posted by MYKE View Post
      My old tutor used to say "If you can't spell, write badly". "Why do you think Doctors write badly"?

Doesn't work with a computer though - does it?
      Now, that's interesting, when I was at a new secondary school (back in the early 60s!)at the mercy of lots of trendy young teachers with 'progressive ideas', we were told that it didn't matter whether you could spell, or understand grammar, it was more important to just be able to express yourself!
      Cynthia.
      P.S. Sorry, a bit off-topic!
      Last edited by CyberCynth; 17-08-2017, 06:23 PM. Reason: Added a P.S.

Comment

Spell-Checkers are brilliant!

The spell checker is a wonderful invention. I had a seriously dyslexic student, a bright and keen lad but one who really struggled and suffered horribly, reading his work was like crawling over broken glass. It happened that when his A levels were a couple of years off word-processors with spell-checker came available, and he seized onto them as The Answer. Every time he goofed it flagged up his error (as below) and offered him a list of options... without fail he could select the right one and, over time, by dint of darned hard work and application, he cracked his problem. Got to University, left with a PhD and is now a scientist working in New Zealand.

spelling.jpg

Comment

Our daughter is dyslexic, has dyscalculia and is dyspraxic.

Her two boys both have dyslexia, my oldest grandson, currently at university is brilliant at spelling and but has mild Aspergers which makes relationships with other people difficult for him. He is also dyspraxic

They have all done well so far by working round their problems with the attitude that nothing will get in the way.

Whether you can spell or not doesn't matter. It's the kind of person you are that does.

I would rather interact with a kindhearted well meaning person that somebody who thinks the sun shines out of his nether regions and lets the word know it.

Not my cup of tea at all.

Comment

Strange - can anyone explain

When I first started to follow this thread a while back, I was thinking how strange. My spelling errors with input to the forum, or anything else for that matter, is always underlined in red. Doing a mouse right click on the offending word provides me with the correct spelling and also alternative words. So, my question is, how come I have that luxury but it appears that others do not? I used to have great pride in my spelling ability but not anymore. I can only think that it is age related, like all the other problems.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by alive23512 View Post
              When I first started to follow this thread a while back, I was thinking how strange. My spelling errors with input to the forum, or anything else for that matter, is always underlined in red. Doing a mouse right click on the offending word provides me with the correct spelling and also alternative words. So, my question is, how come I have that luxury but it appears that others do not? I used to have great pride in my spelling ability but not anymore. I can only think that it is age related, like all the other problems.

Tony
              It's possible you have a spell checker enabled in your browser.

Comment

Mine underlines too

Comment

I have a spell checker which underlines words, unfortunately it's US spelling, not UK and I don't know how to change it!

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue View Post
                    As a group, we are more interested in the content of people's posts than the spelling, as long as the meaning is clear. So no worries, Dave.
                    if you think you have done correctly the a spell or edit your self would be a waste of time unless you dictionary check every word you write .buzzndave sorry Buzz the Dog and David
                    BuzznDave

Comment

Originally posted by David stringer View Post

if you think you have done correctly the a spell or edit your self would be a waste of time unless you dictionary check every word you write .buzzndave sorry Buzz the Dog and David
                      That's so true Dave!

Comment

Originally posted by David stringer View Post

That's why when I worked in the printing industry they had proper proof readers, whose job it was to read the copy that the typesetters created, the powers that be decided that they could make the proof readers redundant as the typesetter could be responsible for reading their own work, that's when the rot set in because as you say if you spell something wrong then you don't necessarily know that it is wrong yourself.
                        Graham
                        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

You can also shop online at our Accessories Store

Comment

The problem with checking your own spelling (or the spelling that the PC decides it wants you to have-another subject) is that sometimes no matter how many times you check your own spelling you only see what your mind tells you is there, not necessarily what is printed in front of you. Oh, I've just discovered my PC underlines bad spelling in red and then with a right click gives me suggestions. Well, well. Graham (and Carole)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only

Collapse

320x50 mobile only under posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X