New Go-Podder - awning question!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Go-Podder - awning question!

Hi, I've just bought a 2nd hand Go-Pod which I'm collecting from South Port in a few weeks. I'm new to caravanning, but have camped for years and wanted to try something a little more comfortable! So I wanted some advice on awnings. The ones sold with the Pod cost quite a lot of money and I saw a post which talked about different options. It mentioned the Sunncamp Silhouette 225 Motor Plus Driveaway Awning as one, but I think there were others. Has anyone tried anything other than the Khyam one? Will the 225 fit? Thanks in advance for any tips you have. Louise

Can't answer your question Louise but just wanted to say hi and welcome, the Go Pods are so cute.

Comment

Hello Louise and welcome from me too

Comment

Hi Louise, welcome to the forum. Sorry I cannot answer your question specifically I think you will have to wait for Dave Stringer and Pat Smith be around Dave has had a GoPod for some time and will be a help to you. What I would say is - as the Go Pod is a tugger you do not need the added expence of a driveaway awning unless that is the awning you want at your price. - Those of us with motorhomes / campervans etc want to drive off site leaving the awning behind - something a tugger does not need to do.
        The vital dimension is the height of your awning rail from the ground - and the height the awning says it can match to.
        The Sunncamp Silhouette 225 Motor Plus Driveaway Awning says a connection height 180cm to 240cm so there you are the only other question would be the width of the tunnel connection and the width of your GoPod - neither of which I know.
        Jon
        Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
        https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

Hi all and thanks for the welcome.

The width of a Go Pod is 185cm and the width of the awning is 225cm. I don't really need a driveaway one, just something for the extra space if we want to sit out and have shelter (like a canopy). Or somewhere for the teenager to sleep if it's warm enough (a tent)! I just don't want to be spending another £550. I found a cheap one on Amazon but then read the reviews and it was basically like an indoor shower when it rained

Louise

Comment

Drive away awnings are easier to fit on small caravans with doors at the back, rather than on the side. I've used drive away awnings for years on my little kip caravan, which also has a door at the back. Have a look at the Movelite awnings, they are pretty good and don't leak.

Comment

Louise, I am actually going to meet up with some Go-Podders (19th to 21st of this month) - if you can wait till after then I'll see what they're doing for awnings.

I thought of getting a Go-Pod at one point (before I decided a campervan was more suitable for me) and I've kept in touch with one of the local guys and he invited me to join them in my new van!

Comment

That's brilliant Gregor, thank you. I pick up my Pod on 27th so will be looking at all options until the last minute

Comment

Not sure where Dave Stringer and Pat Smith are, probably away in their Pod! Hopefully they will also see your question.

Comment

Hi yes we are out and about we use a air beam awning or the go tarp that came with he pod hope to see you at a meet nezt year we have podded away about 80 nights this year.regards Dave Pat buzz tilly
                    BuzznDave

Comment

Louise, here are some photos I took (I'll do 2 at a time as I have issues with doing more photos). I was new and only really knew one of the podders so took these kind of surreptitiously - if there's any you like the look of I can ask more questions on your behalf.

This one was parked next to me and looked quite neat.
                      PODA 1.JPG

This guy couldn't be bothered putting up his awning and just used the Tarp that comes with the Go-Pod on it's own.
                      PODA 2.JPG

Comment

This is more like a stand alone tent, but it looks quite spacious.
                        PODA 3.JPG

I think this is the standard one supplied by Red Lion, there were lots exactly like this.
                        PODA 4.JPG

Comment

I think that these 2 are the same, the second photo is not mine, I got it off the Facebook page and it is a Suncamp Aspect Driveaway.
                          poda 5.JPG

PODA 7.JPG

Comment

I only got this one end on as I'd have had to be right on top of them to get a side view.
                            PODA 6.JPG

This next one is again not mine, but just to let you know that it's not completely private in there come night time.
                            PODA 8.JPG

Let me know if you want to know any more about any of the photos and I'll try to find out from the guy I know best.

Comment

great post! id love a go pod - too pricey for me at the moment.

Comment