Letter from my current insurer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter from my current insurer

I have just received a renewal letter from my current insurer of my motorbikes. Two things annoy me.
    1) "We will automatically renew your policy". I don't recall asking them to do this. It's all very well if you can't be bothered to look around and check they are giving you good value for money but I don't like the presumption that you don't mind them rifling your bank account for however much they feel like removing.
    2) Worse than that is a sentence which says ".....a motoring law that applies to everyone in the UK which states that all vehicles must have continuous insurance cover." I think this is a load of bow locks and I am very annoyed - it smacks of PPI to me. Since when did a SORN vehicle kept on private property require by law to be insured? If they mean 'all vehicles kept or used on the public highway must be insured' then they should say so, not get business by false statements. I wonder how many people will be frightened into paying up because they think there is a new law they haven't heard of?

I have written them a letter asking what law this is.

Even if they can answer, I won't renew my insurance there, as I despise the presumption to take money from my bank without me first saying that it is OK, and the fact that they are lying.
    I expect I will go to AIB.
    If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. Mark ch3 v24

I also had a letter when my insurance was due a month back which stated "We will automatically renew your policy"
    needless to say I didn't insure with them this time. ( is this the norm now with insurance companies?)
    I also found it annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
      I have just received a renewal letter from my current insurer of my motorbikes. Two things annoy me.
      1) "We will automatically renew your policy". I don't recall asking them to do this. It's all very well if you can't be bothered to look around and check they are giving you good value for money but I don't like the presumption that you don't mind them rifling your bank account for however much they feel like removing.
      2) Worse than that is a sentence which says ".....a motoring law that applies to everyone in the UK which states that all vehicles must have continuous insurance cover." I think this is a load of bow locks and I am very annoyed - it smacks of PPI to me. Since when did a SORN vehicle kept on private property require by law to be insured? If they mean 'all vehicles kept or used on the public highway must be insured' then they should say so, not get business by false statements. I wonder how many people will be frightened into paying up because they think there is a new law they haven't heard of?

I have written them a letter asking what law this is.

Even if they can answer, I won't renew my insurance there, as I despise the presumption to take money from my bank without me first saying that it is OK, and the fact that they are lying.
      I expect I will go to AIB.
      It's the Continuous Insurance Enforcement, which came into force in 2011. There was a bit of a rumpus over Data Protection issues when that was first announced too, because it allows the Motor Insurance Bureau to check DVLA records when renewal time comes round to see if there's a SORN. No SORN, then insurance is required, even if it never leaves private property.

It works the other way too. DVLA can check via the MIB to make sure there's cover or a SORN on all registered vehicles.

There are some exemptions and here's an AA website with more information:-
      http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...forcement.html

this page has more thorough info, but I'm not sure how impartial it is;-
      http://www.confused.com/car-insuranc...forcement-rule

Supposedly automatic renewal is protecting you from accidentally committing an offence. I'm pretty sure that all insurers do it now (I vaguely recall a newspaper campaign calling for it), and whoever you go to, you'll find yourself in the same position next year.

Assuming you pay by Direct Debit or Credit Card that is! I've no idea how they deal with people who pay by cheque.
      Geoff

Comment

If the vehicle is sorn then it does not need to be insured, if the vehicle is taxed it has to have insurance even if you decide not to use it until say the weather improves.

Comment

Originally posted by Renners View Post
          If the vehicle is sorn then it does not need to be insured, if the vehicle is taxed it has to have insurance even if you decide not to use it until say the weather improves.
          Sorry, but I am sure ARtooO is correct.

I have a laid up vehicle which has never been taxed since a V5c was issued years ago. As a result it does not need to be Sorned and the result of that is that it does not need to be insured either.
          Although the continuous insurance regulation was obviously introduced as a measure to stop people using any runable vehicle without insurance I have never heard of any prosecution by the DVLA.
          I have motorcycles and a car which sometimes are unused for quite long periods. All now need to be kept insured. As they are all "Historic Vehicles" exempt from road tax I make the best of the situation by keeping them licenced for use all year round with the free tax disc rather than bothering now with SORN.
          Jim.
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

off the Gov web site, rule 4 states no insurance needed if not taxed ie sorn

When you need to make a SORN

Your vehicle must be taxed and insured unless you surrender your tax disc to make a SORN.

You can apply by post for a tax disc refund and make a SORN at the same time using form V14.

You don’t have to buy a tax disc if you don’t use or keep your vehicle on a public road (eg you keep it in a garage, on a drive or on private land). You must make a SORN instead. Your SORN is valid until your vehicle is taxed, sold or scrapped.

4. Uninsured vehicles
            Rules in England, Wales and Scotland

You must have motor insurance for your vehicle if you use it on roads and in public places.

You do not need to insure your vehicle if it is kept off the road and declared as off the road (SORN). This rule is called ‘continuous insurance enforcement’.

Comment

Bennetts deaf to my communications

Auto renewal is an almighty pain in the behind, I had a motorcycle insured with Bennetts and, typically, when their advice letter detailing the renewal fee arrived, it was significantly more that the first year (a 'nice little earner' game that most insurers play and of which we are all aware) despite only minimal mileage ridden and my location in a crime free area. So I went online and got a much better quote from a different insurer which I accepted. I straightaway wrote to Bennetts telling them that I would not be renewing and not to take any fee via DDR. The letter was posted Recorded, signed for .... I thought (erroneously) that might get someone's attention.

You'll never guess what .... (irony) ..... DDR charges made to account, Bennetts documents for year 2 arrive in post. Technically I was now breaking the law because I had insured the same vehicle twice.

It took 6 months of increasingingly furious letters / calls before I got Bennetts to make a refund.

Comment

I has a refreshing chat with "wicked quotes" who insure my bike. I rang them about 4 weeks before renewal to get a quote. It seemed reasonable and I said go ahead. They said wait and surf a bit to see if I could get a better quote. I did not get a better quote so stayed with them.

Another wheeze is to get your renewal quote say its £215. Go to your insures web site and get a quote. I can guarantee that it will be a lot lower, perhaps £180. Then ring them and renew asking to pay the lower amount. It works.

Rick
                Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Comment

Phew. After a lot of talking and getting quotes here is the result of the Lutterworth jury:
                  I went to my current insurers www and spent a happy half hour getting another quote which was identical to the one they sent me in the post.
                  I talked to Darren at AIB, who went off looking, and came back and said he couldn't beat my current insurer's benefits, but could match the price so I would be better staying with them.
                  I am getting a new-to-me motorhome today, and Darren at AIB has given me a very good quote which beats even transferring my existing insurance so I will cancel that and take Darren's. He said the Small Motorhome 'club' as he called it gives me a bigger discount than belonging to the Institute of Advanced Motorists. That surprised me, but well done Graham and the other setters-up of this forum!
                  I asked Darren at AIB about my bike insurers false statement that all vehicle must have continuous insurance. He said strictly that is true, because the Government has passed a law that once an insurance company has insured a vehicle, the insurance company is liable for any claims made on that vehicle, even if the policy has lapsed or been cancelled. That is not to say that the owner of the vehicle has to continuously insure it, its just that the insurance company is liable. So it would seem that all these adverts from Direct Line about 'our policies cover you against uninsured drivers' are not what they first appear to be.
                  I looked up my Mercedes and it is not 10 years old till December. Boo hoo. So I can't get a classic policy for it yet.
                  BUT: Darren at AIB can insure it fully comp now, with a small limited mileage admittedly, for £87. Yes, eighty seven pounds only.
                  Sounds as if it is worth getting a ten year old motorhome, then it's a classic. Thinks: what was the most luxurious MH ten years ago: 2004 or older.

Good old SMH

Comment

Just to clarify AIB are able to put 10 year old vehicles on classic policies? Thats certainly very unusual if it is the case but useful info.
                    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
                      Just to clarify AIB are able to put 10 year old vehicles on classic policies? Thats certainly very unusual if it is the case but useful info.
                      I'm not sure if AIB call a 10 year old a classic, but Carole Nash does. Perhaps a 20 year old is more classic and comes under another category, I don't know. Anyway AIB's prices are certainly attractive, whether or not they call it a classic.

I was disappointed to find that my new-to-me motorhome was actually 6.5 metres when I went to collect it today I thought it was 6.1m.
                      But was pleased as punch to find that it does fit on my concrete ramp I laid at home. I do have to do a 9 point manoeuvre to get it there though! Still, that doesn't matter. Its trivia.
                      I'll post a photo of it tomorrow.
                      I went to Tesco and it takes up 1 1/2 parking spaces. Lucky they have plenty of them!
                      And anyone would be struggling to call it a Small Motorhome. Can I have a special dispensation membership permit please?

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
                        I'm not sure if AIB call a 10 year old a classic, but Carole Nash does. Perhaps a 20 year old is more classic and comes under another category, I don't know. Anyway AIB's prices are certainly attractive, whether or not they call it a classic.......

......And anyone would be struggling to call it a Small Motorhome. Can I have a special dispensation membership permit please?
                        It always used to be the case that 10-15 year old cars were put on "cherished" policies, half way between a normal and classic policy but your car had to be 20 years old for a truly cheap classic deal. Will def be giving AIB a call though when the Pennine insurance is due and will see what they can offer on the cars too. I am trying to resist the temptation to buy a 1964 mk1 Triumph 2000 that I have been offered cheap!

Congrats on the new van, it may not be small but all are welcome here, I don't even have a motorhome and they let me in!
                        Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

I have just won the First Class Trophy for being the daftest daft twit of the century. Of course it is 20 years for a classic policy. I don't think I have drifted asleep into the 21st century yet. I can't remember what I was thinking when I wrote that. Wake me up someone. Your vehicle can be insured as a classic if it is 20 years old.
                          Last edited by glenw; 27-03-2014, 11:25.

Comment