Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campervan insurance cheaper than car or van insurance? Not getting it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Campervan insurance cheaper than car or van insurance? Not getting it...

...Literally or in a matter of speaking.

You all seem a very lovely bunch of people and very knowledgeable with lots of experience, so I thought I'd ask the question...

I'm thinking of buying a Nissan NV200 to convert for camping. I'm exploring options between buying a combi (car) or a panel van to convert. I'm not sure whether to have a permanent setup or not and need to think about this. Looking into insurance I'm always advised motorhome insurance is cheaper. However... I generated quotes for (modified) car insurance when buying a combi/MPV, (modified) van insurance should I buy a panel van, and motorhome insurance. I made the quotes as comparable and equal as possible and get the following:
    - Panel van converted permanently (indicated by adding modifications): £350.83,
    - Combi converted permanently (indicated by adding modifications): £373.43,
    - Motorhome insurance (inidcating modifications to the car/van from production model): £495.38

So motorhome insurance (when converting to a campervan, changing V5 and insuring) seems much more expensive with the same basic details... Am I missing something? Should I not add modifications as the conversion makes it a campervan 'as is'? I also found very few insurers on the comparison sites I used who could offer insurance. Many insisted on a second car or fewer/no modifications... Bit difficult for a conversion methinks... But again, maybe I'm not getting something....

The NV200 is a small campervan of course, which I use as a day to day only vehicle and for business purposes. Can someone shed any light on this? I would like to get buying the base vehicle right to start with... ansd then I need to decide whether to go for a permanent conversion and V5 change or for a temporary one, keeping the use of the vehicle very flexible.

Thank you for anything you can suggest.

A self-build motorhome tends to be more expensive to insure than one by a known converter.

I'm in the same position as you, also looking at the NV200 and facing the same issues.....

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
      A self-build motorhome tends to be more expensive to insure than one by a known converter.

I'm in the same position as you, also looking at the NV200 and facing the same issues.....
      Thank you, that's interesting to know and to be expected I suppose. I thought this was going to be the simple and straightforward part! :blank:
      I'm going to have another look, but I don't think I can even afford £9000 odd to have it converted...

I had another look taking all the modifications away, which is what I would assume I would do if it was converted by a converter... and it's much more reasonable now, about the same level as the other quotes, still not cheaper. Taking the extra expense of having it converted by a converter into account, and seeing the extra insurance cost as a premium paid for converting it yourself, self conversion is then still cheaper, writing the extra insurance cost off over let's say 10 years... I think converting myself also would give me more satisfaction and a sense of ownership and achievement... however challenging it is at the same time.

I hope you are further along... my plans are only even getting close to the entrance to the pipeline they will be in!

Comment