Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance

I have a Duo Outlook, I am about to renew my insurance and noticing it is listed as a Citreon Berlingo 800 HDI LX Van, does it make a huge difference that it is not listed as a Motorhome?
    Are there specific Insurance companies for Motorhomes?

Lin
    :sunshine:

If your van is a Romahome then it is obviously a motorhome conversion and your V5 should state this (DVLA can update the V5). A motorhome is usually cheaper to insure but there are likely to be some restrictions such as SD&P usage only and, often, a limited mileage allowance.

I'm also about to insure my HyLo today. Yes, there are specific motorhome insurers and you will need a motorhome policy for your van which will need a motorhome policy, not a commercial vehicle policy(!). I use an online comparison site to get an idea of the most competitive then contact the shortlist of the cheapest directly. My best quotes this year are Adrian Flux at £194 (2005 van, 2 drivers, 10k miles, protected NCD) or Safeguard at £217.63 with the additional benefits of unlimited mileage and breakdown cover.

Comment

Tell the insurer it's a Romahome. I had mine insured with Camping & Caravanning Club, they said don't worry, we know what a Romahome is!

Watch out for the mileage, often the cheap quotes only give 3,000 miles max a year. As soon as you say you want more the cheap quote suddenly becomes comparable to other quotes!

Comment

We are also with the Camping and Caravanning club. We had trouble getting reasonable insurance because my husband is over 75 but the C&CC club were very competative

Comment

Sorted

Thanks all for your input, have just spoken to my Insurers-Liverpool Victoria and they have changed it, just cost me £32 to change it over as they had already re-insured it.
          If anyone has ever worked for local Fovernment it is worth checking out the CSMA(Civil Service Motoring Association) they are very competitive, I haven't ever been able to find a cheaper quote-£172.27, not bad.
          The guy on the end of the phone was very jealous!!
          Lin
          :sunshine:

Comment

I think there's a big variation in insurance quotes depending in your post code, where the vehicle is stored and your usage.

My Outlook is parked on the roadside and I need insurance to include commuting to work each day. My renewal form Comfort Insurance was over twice your quote!

A lot of insurance companies won't quote for commuting.

John

Comment

insurance

same for me I'm with the Caravan club and they wont insure me for commuting so I not get any discounts for my membership as they state you do
              they have things at certain places too but not one of them is any use to me I'm with total shield found that my googling small camper van insurance x

Comment