No announcement yet.

Insurance - help please

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Insurance - help please

    I'm a newby camper having bought a Kangoo with a sink/cooker unit and fold down bed registered as an MPV. I'm finding it very hard to find affordable insurance. OK I live in London but my previous car insurance was under £300; today for the camper I've been quoted over £750 (inc first time discount, NCB, clean driving license). I use my camper as a car most of the time. Some companies won't insure me because I only have 1 gas burner. If I had 2 burners it would be fine - I could have got insurance at a reasonable price. I also think the bed being less than 6' might be a problem? I love my camper but I'm now seriously thinking of giving up. Please help me! Thank you.

    Is it possible to rest another burner (suitcase style) next to the original for the purposes of photos and which would show 2 burners.
    Do you have room to extend the bed with an extra, removable board like the Romahomes have?


      Thank you - good idea. Has anyone else solved the problem like this?


        I don't think my bed is 6 feet long, but, when I got my van reclassified, I took a photo of the bed from the tailgate and it looked quite long, (I have a Doblo). I have two burners though, but I think Sandra's suggestion is a good one. I didn't have to give the DVLA measurements. I did send them pictures of everything I could - cupboards, sink, gas locker/bottle, EHU socket at the rear, roof up, and down and so on, in the hope that they would all just get a fleeting look. The V5 came back with the vehicle type Motor Caravan. I found that motorhome insurers were prepared to insure it when it was still an MPV, as long as I undertook to get it changed within 3 months. Having said that, I insured it with LV, who I was already using, and they didn't insist on it being changed at all. I should think you would get a lower quote from a motorhome specialist, but I think you also tend to pay more If your van is your only vehicle, as mine is.


          I have never known them to question further if you state that it meets requirements and provide suporting photos.

          As Sandra suggested, if you have an extra 6" or so of space, wedge a cusion into it with a plastic box of the right size under it if need be. You don't need to actualy use it and they aren't interested in how comfy or practical it is. I have seen a few different campers with quite small extensions to the beds. I thought just maximising the space but perhaps it's to meet the full 6'.

          I didn't realise that they wanted a double burner but it would probably be possible to rig a temporary set up for the pics. Plenty of campers don't have their stoves fitted. Just taken out of storage and set up as required. So long as you have the surface space you should be ok.

          I think it's a case of the regulation being there to make some distinction and not allow the owner of any type of vehicle chucking in a backpacking stove and a bean bag and taking advantage of the insurance rate, I don't think they want to be uneccisarily restrictive or obstructed.

          It would be interested to know if anyone has heard of of an application being refused or investigated after applying with requested photos?

          I know they can be very nosey about re registering Q plate specials and Bitsa motorbikes. The often send an examiner round.


            I have reregistered a number of campers. As said take photos - bed down bed up - table in place. (I always put a table cloth and place setting on table - it distracts from whether or not the table is secured to the vehicle)
            SECURED means a clip or guide - a guide the table hooks onto!
            he photos must include at least one pic showing the interior taken from outside with the vehicle reg plate clearly showing - with a panel van easy only open one rear door - for you maybe a little imagination.
            If you have a pop roof or solar panels on the roof show them in the pics. Remember you have to demonstrate your vehicle is a "MOTOR CARAVAN" So a few motorhome type graphics do not go astray.
            This is the government website - and is full of advice

            Surprise surprise I just read the notes see the link and it says minimum 2 ring cooker. I think you probably need to redo your cooking facility as the suggested solution would not be permanent - same as you must have a sink (no matter how small) I had a professionaly converted Bedford Beagle HA and that had a sink that was almost a slot you could get half a plate into.

            I have always found them helpfull Last time I printed the pics 2 on each A4 sheet and cut them in half so approx 7X5 in old money
            and wrote on the back what was on each one - about 2 weeks after the V5C came back the photos were returned.

            Good luck
            Last edited by kernowjon; 07-12-2017, 01:23. Reason: added info re cooker etc


              Cheers for the reminder of the requirement list jon. Ihadn't looked for a long while and didn't realise that the stove needed to be permenantly fixed. I was thinking like the table it just needed to be fixable. Must be hundreds of "registered motorhomes" out there without.

              May as well paste the list for refference. (No copyright on .gov docs I don't think? (Shouldn't be. We have already paid for it. ))

              Motor caravan minimum features

              In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features:
              • a door that provides access to the living accommodation
              • a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet - this can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle
              • a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle
              • a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle - the table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table
              • a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe
              • a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity
              • at least one window on the side of the accommodation

              If the vehicle has all of these features present, permanently fixed and installed properly, then it is a legal requirement to have it reclassified as a motor caravan on the V5C.


              Scope for a few grey areas there I think.

              The table? Is the flat top of a permenantly fixed storage cupboard or locker ok?
              "Cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity". No meths or petrol then? Although strictly speaking I suppose they are gas.


                Have you tried specialist camper insurers brokers?

                Adrian Flux
                AIB , these give a discount to forum members

                Also look at
                A plan,
                caravan and motorhome club
                camping and caravan club

                Also self built vans, are usually dearer to insure than those done by a professional company.
                Save money with these special offers from our business partners
                Last edited by JazziJ; 07-12-2017, 10:00. Reason: added info


                  Good Morning,

                  If you are still struggling to find insurance, feel feel to give us a call on 02380268351 and we'll see what we can do for you.

                  Also don't forget to mention you are a member of the small motorhome forum - we give a discount!

                  AIB Insurance


                    Hi Graham and Pauline, As Dapple has said the list is well worth having - see posts #6 and #7 maybe the list could be a sticky for the "converters" guidance possibly on another Thread like Cars and Light Vans ... or on both this Insurance thread and the other one.
                    The question arises quite often in relation to both conversions and also "mis-registered Romahomes"


                    Related Topics


                    320x50 mobile only under posts reg users


                    728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users