Camping & Caravanning Breakdown cover

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camping & Caravanning Breakdown cover

We have had full RAC breakdown cover since 2006 and it has increased cost wise in that time to over £211.00 (it runs out in May)

Last year and this we have insured the Romahome with C & CC and included breakdown cover with them for an additional £36.00

Renewing over the phone recently I queried exactly what we got for the £36 and was told, road side assistance, home start, recovery and repatriation and if the vehicle couldn't be repaired the same day then they will take us to a suitable location in the UK of our choice.

Now I told John this and we were both surprised but didn't want to cancel the automatic RAC payment without confirmation that I had heard right, John being of the view that if a thing sounds too good to be true then it usually is.

I emailed C & CC, explained our predicament and they passed that email onto Vantage Insurance Services and they have replied stating the same as C & CC.

As it still seems too good to be true that we can get all of that cover for £36+ as against over £211 are we missing something obvious. Does anyone else have insurance and breakdown with C & CC and have you had occasion to use the breakdown?

We need to cancel the RAC payment before too long but I just need the reassurance that we haven't taken something important into consideration

Ta muchly

I have similarly cheap cover as an add on to my insurance with AIB and it appears to cover everything. When you ring the RAC to cancel they may come up with a better offer.
    Isaiah 45:8

Comment

Originally posted by jondxxx View Post
      I have similarly cheap cover as an add on to my insurance with AIB and it appears to cover everything. When you ring the RAC to cancel they may come up with a better offer.
      When you ring back to ANY insurance/home/car/pet or even Uncle Tom's cobbly's , you can bet
      your bottom euro they will improve on the quote.
      Today 'loyalty' is a dirty word. They rip off the regular faithful customers to finance 'Special
      Offers' at reduced premiums to news customers. What they lose on the swings they gain on the
      round-a-bouts. My advice is take it - but don't necessarily expect similar next renewal.
      I know this to be true - the BBC R4 told me so on 'You & yours'.
      A barrel organs life is one long grind?

Comment

Thanks both of you
        jondxxx and OG I cannot imagine that the RAC will drop their £211 down to just over £36.

C & CC offered the same last year and as we had transferred the insurance from the trailer tent to the new (to us) Romahome we just accepted it without query.

Comment

my rac cover is for any vehicle i am in and covers everything it's £110 a year

Comment

Last year I was with a broker called Advance Insurance and my RAC cover - home start, recovery, roadside etc was an extra £40 a year. This year I have gone back to Adrian Flux Insurance and my "Flux Rescue" the same deal is £40.
            The only difference, (so far as I can work out) being these deals apply to the vehicle you are insuring, not any vehicle.
            As we only own one vehicle that seems fine for us.
            Jon
            Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
            https://smallromahome2oldies1largedog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I do and was picked up and brought home after a 1 .1/2 hrs (no clutch)
              BuzznDave

Comment

I have been with QDOS Breakdown for the last 2 years. I have never had to call them out but they get excellent ratings on review websites for their service. I can only judge them on price and find them pretty unbeatable on that score. As we only have the 1 car now we just cover the vehicle which makes it significantly cheaper than covering the driver. We are covered for UK wide assistance and recovery and have extra cover for a trailer/caravan, all for £28 which I think is very reasonable. We used Quidco as well and got £12 cashback bringing the actual cost down to £16….
                Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Thank you all. We've been trying to work out how we ever got the RAC cover in the first place because we used to be with the AA and have worked out that the first year came free with a newish car we bought so just continued with them. Apathy is the name if the game and, of course, newish car's insurance would be much higher than an old vehicle like we have now. The RAC's £211 was last year's figure so is likely to be higher this year and would no doubt double what Kyran is paying, for the same service

Well, it's annoying that I could have saved that money last year at least, but then that's the price of stupidity

Having seen what some of you are paying as additions to your insurance it's reassured us that there isn't anything "hidden" that we should have watched out for.

I think one of the things confusing us is that the RAC paperwork has C & CC Arrivals printed on it yet the C & CC breakdown is with Vantage. Ah well.

Now what can I spend £211+ on. Hmmmm.
                  Last edited by SandraM; 08-02-2018, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SandraM View Post
                    Thank you all. We've been trying to work out how we ever got the RAC cover in the first place because we used to be with the AA and have worked out that the first year came free with a newish car we bought so just continued with them. Apathy is the name if the game and, of course, newish car's insurance would be much higher than an old vehicle like we have now. The RAC's £211 was last year's figure so is likely to be higher this year and would no doubt double what Kyran is paying, for the same service

Well, it's annoying that I could have saved that money last year at least, but then that's the price of stupidity

Having seen what some of you are paying as additions to your insurance it's reassured us that there isn't anything "hidden" that we should have watched out for.

I think one of the things confusing us is that the RAC paperwork has C & CC Arrivals printed on it yet the C & CC breakdown is with Vantage. Ah well.

Now what can I spend £211+ on. Hmmmm.
                    Vantage insurance are the company behind the C&CC branded insurance policies, they are not actually anything to do with the club, they just trade their policies under the clubs banner. We have our Folding Camper insured with them as they are by far and away the cheapest and don't mind covering older units like ours.

Comment

I realise that now Rob especially as the query to the C & CC club insurance section was followed up directly by Vantage. IT would seem that C & CC have fingers in both pies then, RAC and Vantage.

Nit only were we daft enough to allow two lots of breakdown cover but this morning John checked the card that the RAC is paid by and it didn't tie in with their paid quote for last year.
                      John rang them but they wouldn't talk to him as I am the named person and I had to give permission for him to speak to them. Such a change from how it used to be in the old days when a women wasn't assumed to be able to do business in her own right (I'm not talking suffragette times either bt well into our marriage).

Anyway, they accept that there was an unexplained £10 difference so they are refunding it.

John is normally meticulous about tying statements and payments together so we don't know how that got through but a result anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SandraM View Post
                        I realise that now Rob especially as the query to the C & CC club insurance section was followed up directly by Vantage. IT would seem that C & CC have fingers in both pies then, RAC and Vantage.

Nit only were we daft enough to allow two lots of breakdown cover but this morning John checked the card that the RAC is paid by and it didn't tie in with their paid quote for last year.
                        John rang them but they wouldn't talk to him as I am the named person and I had to give permission for him to speak to them. Such a change from how it used to be in the old days when a women wasn't assumed to be able to do business in her own right (I'm not talking suffragette times either bt well into our marriage).

Anyway, they accept that there was an unexplained £10 difference so they are refunding it.

John is normally meticulous about tying statements and payments together so we don't know how that got through but a result anyway.
                        Presumably the club get a royalty off each policy Vantage sell in their name or something like that.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X