Camping & Caravanning Breakdown cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrogHopper43 View Post
    Hi friends. Lots of answers here.but most a little passed their best date.. we want to go to France September for a week.. who does breakdown cover.. for an old classic...OH yes our 1992 j reg hylo. Help . Keep being told far to old.. 77 ????!!! Is that old ,🤔🙄

FrogHopper43 my John is 80 in October.

Once of the reasons we are staying with the C &CC for insurance is because, as we are members, they will let the insurance run despite his age.

I don't know about insurance for France though. If you belong to the C & CC then it may pay you to ask them for a quote

Comment

Originally posted by FrogHopper43 View Post
      Hi friends. Lots of answers here.but most a little passed their best date.. we want to go to France September for a week.. who does breakdown cover.. for an old classic...OH yes our 1992 j reg hylo. Help . Keep being told far to old.. 77 ????!!! Is that old ,🤔🙄
      You don't actually say whether they are referring to you being 77 yrs old is the problem or the 1992 hylo. I would suspect it is the 1992 hylo that is the problem, I doubt if you would get breakdown cover on that even if you were 30 yrs old. I would just go anyway. If it breaks down you can stay in it anyway till a local garage comes and rescues you. If you get it serviced properly by a proper garage and tell them you are going to France they should look for things that may go wrong soon and advise you accordingly
      All streams flow to the sea, yet the sea is never full. Ecclesiastes Ch 1

Comment

My H ylo is covered for UK and EU travel with Britannia Rescue but I'm not sure whether they still offer cover on elderly vehickes. I've had breakdown cover with them for decades but I think I might have read somewhere that the new policies have more exclusions.

I think it's about £120 a year for self and partner driving any vehicle in the UK, and one named vehicle in the EU, so I have my Romahome as the named vehicle. I also have a policy with the German company ADAC as a backup, I think that one covers me in any vehicle anywhere in Europe and I don't think there is any age limit, and it covers other things too besides breakdown.

FrogHopper43 you might want to look at https://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/mitglied-werden/ if you can cope with the German - thought they had a page in English but I can't find it now. But if you email them in English they will reply in English, I know that because I have done it several times..

Let's hope that by September France is open for business and the UK's fortnight quarantine on entry rule has been axed

Edit - just realised that you can also see the website in French, in case that's better for you (it is for me!). The phone number is +49 941 52344 and they speak English. Also I just read that they have a reciprocal arrangement with the AA.
        Last edited by Voyageuse; 21-05-2020, 08:28.
        Away with the Fairies

Comment

You could also look at Nationwide's Flex Plus account which includes breakdown insurance and all sorts of other insurance as well. It costs £12 a month, or £144 a year, whichever you prefer.
          Take a look at what it includes and see if it meets your needs.
          https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support...e/flexplus-ins

Comment

Breakdown cover through nationwide bank - much cheaper than AA/RAC - This also covers travel abroad. This coverer all three vehicles (only two now!)
            Also covers travel insurance and mobile phone insurance. Think it's about £144 a year.

Comment

Isn't it actually necessary to have an acount at any of these building societies/banks before they will let you take advantage of holiday/breakdown insurance?

In any case, we did used to have holiday insurance (I think it was with HSBC) but as soon as John reached a certain age they withdrew the cover

Comment

Yes you open a Nationwide Flex account (which used to pay interest but now it doesn't) and pay them £12 0r is it £13 a month and you automatically get all this insurance. There's a lot more than just breakdown, travel and phone insurance. It's dead easy, you go to a Nationwide branch with your ID and some money to open the account with, answer lots of questions and orff you jolly well go on your travels.

And if they still have this system going, you PM Graham who introduces you to Nationwide and you each get a hundred drinking vouchers.

Comment

Quote from Nationwide
                  FlexAccount Travel insurance isn't available to new members anymore. If you already have FlexAccount Travel insurance, there are a few things you'll need to do to keep it.
                  If you opened a new FlexPlus account or booked a trip after 18 March 2020, you will not be covered for Coronavirus related travel claims. This is because it is a known and anticipated risk.

If your trip was booked before 18 March 2020, you may be covered if you held a FlexPlus or FlexAccount.How to keep your FlexAccount Travel insurance

If you have FlexAccount Travel Insurance and want to keep it, there are a couple of things you'll need to do to make sure it continues year on year.

Your travel insurance will continue as long as you:
                  • Keep your FlexAccount open and pay in at least £750 a month (excluding transfers from another Nationwide account held by you or anyone else)
                  • Remain a UK resident
                  • Are 69 or younger.

If you’re 70 or older you'll need to buy an age upgrade each year to keep your travel insurance going. It’s easy to do – just call 0800 051 0154.

There is the Flex Plus account though which needs to be looked at in full for anyomne interested

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X