Insurance advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance advice

Hello again. I'm on the verge of buying a Romahome Duo Outlook and I need speedy advice on insurance. This may well have been covered elsewhere on the forum, but please humour me. I already own a car (which I will be keeping) and will be the sole driver as Mrs. S doesn't drive.... do I need a specific motorhome insurer, or will my normal broker (A-Plan, normally excellent service) be able to provide a competitive quote (in your opinion?)
    much appreciated.

Hello Springinsfield, you'll need other quotes in order to make comparisons won't you, so you might as well ask around

Comment

I was just wondering if Motorhome insurers were more likely to be able to offer a better quote than a general car insurer. I've only ever owned a 1968 VW campervan before which counted as a classic vehicle for insurance purposes.

Comment

When i bought my HyLo last year my daily driver insurer would not touch the RV/motorhome/camper so i went to Adrian Flux who i have had dealings with in the past when i ran a yank.

Comment

We have used Caravan Guard (caravanguard.co.uk) since we got our R30 four years ago, and have found them to be helpful and competitive.

Comment

I use Adrian Flux - Advance I have also found to be very good. Definitely ring around to get quotes. Do not underestimate your annual mileage in another thread you will see increasing the mileage part way through the year cost me an arm and a leg.
            Jon
            Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
            https://smallromahome2oldies1largedog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Thanks for your replies , I'll try both Adrian Flux and Caravanguard and keep you posted.

Comment

I've had my Outlook insured with Safeguard
                ( part of Swinton group ) for several years , with no problems .
                As mentioned above , some general car insurance companies will not deal with motorhomes . Another reason for going with Safeguard is that they are OK with me using my van for commuting to & from work - some other motorhome insurers won't allow this .

Comment

One reason we use Caravan Guard is also because they will allow the motorhome to be used for commuting.

Comment

If you are a member of the Caravan and Camping Club, they do very reasonable insurance.

I assume the Caravan and Motorhome Club has their equivalent

Comment

Don’t forget as a Small Motorhome member you can get a discount if you mention Small Motorhome see our special offers here

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/special-offers.html
                      Graham
                      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Something worth remembering is what I recently found out (or at least, I found out a couple of years ago and forgot!). One of the questions inevitably is your date of birth. After the age of 65 your age increases the premium each year. So what we should all do (those of us Of A Certain Age) is to cancel all our insurances in the month before our birthdays, and restart them. Then at least when you are approaching the age that they won't insure you any more, you can have one last year. I have found several companies that just will not insure Captain Kidd because she has had a heart attack 4 years ago, although with a stent she has been perfectly fine. Also they won't insure me on my own, because they claim for some strange reason that if I go on holiday, she will be there as well and if she is sick I will expect to be repatriated even though I am OK.
                        So, stick that in your diaries a month before your next birthday.
                        suivez l'aventure

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                          Don’t forget as a Small Motorhome member you can get a discount if you mention Small Motorhome see our special offers here

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/special-offers.html
                          Thanks for that Graham... I had missed that. So far my best quot is from the brokers I normally use, but I'll continue searching.

Gasgas, a good point, but happily I am a callow 49, so don't need to worry for a while.

Comment

Well Springsfield, there are advantages and disadvantages to being 49. One advantage is your insurance is cheaper. On the other hand, you have to go out to work, which I have a vague recollection of.
                            suivez l'aventure

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X