Disgruntled Octogenarian

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disgruntled Octogenarian

As already indicated we are exchanging our Romahome Hylo for an Autosleeper Talent. The insurance on the Romahome was placed through the C&CC insurers so I applied to them for cover with the Talent only to be told that they were increasing it by a factor of 5. I sought cover with AIB and Adrian Flux and both quoted an identical premium of £100 more than for the Romahome. I also tried Caravan Wise and will tell you later what happened. I wrote to the C&CC concerning the astonishing increase in premium and then spoke to them this morning. The reason why the colossal increase? AGE! It should have happened at the last renewal so that any change brought in the new terms. It transpires that far from being brokers, C&CC underwriters are tied agents to 2 companies both of whom discriminate due to age. Caravan Wise are similar and refused to quote. I asked if they had approached the market and their reply was that they had a panel of underwriters and the one I was quoted by AIG was not on the list. So beware when you are seeking insurance for your vans that not all "independent brokers" really are what they "say on the label"!

Ron

Oh dear, Ron. I don't suppose Mrs Woozle would qualify ofr the lower rate instead? The insurance companies ought to judge by appearance, not by what the piece of paper says, and then you would both easily qualify!

I believe travel insurance is a similar nightmare.
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue View Post
      Oh dear, Ron. I don't suppose Mrs Woozle would qualify ofr the lower rate instead? The insurance companies ought to judge by appearance, not by what the piece of paper says, and then you would both easily qualify!

Only if Mrs W did not mention Ron's existance and if she did that it may be fraud - certainly even on an "any driver" insurance it would invalidate the insurance. If she mentioned Ron the over 80 loading would kick-in. You do not win against insurance companies.

Jon
      Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
      https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue View Post

Yes, travel insurance is definitely a problem. As a one time underwriter of this form of business, I can understand the reasons for rating up the "elderly". Insurance is based on statistics and I very much doubt that we octogenarians are such a bad risk for motor insurance. I have been driving for more than 60 years and am a very experienced motor caravan driver since 1973 but none of this is taken into account by number crunching so called underwriters. It might have made sense if I was buying a van for the first time. I have written a letter of complaint to Julia Bradbury at C&CC complaining of age discrimination in their Club Care Insurance Services and the fact that they have partnered with a company that only uses 2 age discriminating underwriters.

Woozle is a year younger than me and would have been 79 when we renewed in March so that might have delayed their hand until we changed vehicles. Yes, she looks much younger than her actual age. Whether I do or not, I played an hour's badminton on Monday and am looking forward to an hour and half's tennis tomorrow but that is irrelevant to the "underwriters"! Fortunately, our club uses 2 proper brokers who use companies that use real underwriters so I can have cover at a reasonable price. Thank you, Graham, for tying in with AIB and Adrian Flux.

Ron

Comment

Yes, travel insurance is definitely a problem. As a one time underwriter of this form of business, I can understand the reasons for rating up the "elderly". Insurance is based on statistics and I very much doubt that we octogenarians are such a bad risk for motor insurance. I have been driving for more than 60 years and am a very experienced motor caravan driver since 1973 but none of this is taken into account by number crunching so called underwriters. It might have made sense if I was buying a van for the first time. I have written a letter of complaint to Julia Bradbury at C&CC complaining of age discrimination in their Club Care Insurance Services and the fact that they have partnered with a company that only uses 2 age discriminating underwriters.

Woozle is a year younger than me and would have been 79 when we renewed in March so that might have delayed their hand until we changed vehicles. Yes, she looks much younger than her actual age. Whether I do or not, I played an hour's badminton on Monday and am looking forward to an hour and half's tennis tomorrow but that is irrelevant to the "underwriters"! Fortunately, our club uses 2 proper brokers who use companies that use real underwriters so I can have cover at a reasonable price. Thank you, Graham, for tying in with AIB and Adrian Flux.

Ron

Comment

This problem was discussed at some length in MMM several months ago. According to the information in MMM there are no statistics that say older drivers are any more risk at 80 or even 90 than they were at 60 or 70. The hike in premium seems to relate to the fact that if a driver over 80 is involved in an accident they are less likely to survive than they were when younger so the issue of compensation may arise. As was pointed out in MMM compensation is awarded taking into account the likely earnings of an individual until the end of their working life and therefore the loss to surviving dependents, as 80 year olds are deemed to have no working life left the amount of compensation would be negligible or none at all. In other words there are no facts on which to base an increase in premium it is just another insurance rip off of older people. the fact that some insurance companies have taken an easy option to refuse to insure older people only serves to make the matter worse. So much for healthy competition, I don't think it exists in the insurance world.
            Janet

Comment

We are with the C&CC for the van and they were cheaper than other quotes and as we were already members (like you @Mr Woozle) they will continue to insure John into his 80s they said.

Of course, what wasn't mentioned was the increase in premium so now you've warned us I'll have to be wary. Thanks for that Mr Woozle

Comment

Originally posted by The Sitter View Post
                This problem was discussed at some length in MMM several months ago. According to the information in MMM there are no statistics that say older drivers are any more risk at 80 or even 90 than they were at 60 or 70. The hike in premium seems to relate to the fact that if a driver over 80 is involved in an accident they are less likely to survive than they were when younger so the issue of compensation may arise. As was pointed out in MMM compensation is awarded taking into account the likely earnings of an individual until the end of their working life and therefore the loss to surviving dependents, as 80 year olds are deemed to have no working life left the amount of compensation would be negligible or none at all. In other words there are no facts on which to base an increase in premium it is just another insurance rip off of older people. the fact that some insurance companies have taken an easy option to refuse to insure older people only serves to make the matter worse. So much for healthy competition, I don't think it exists in the insurance world.
                Janet
                Fortunately in my going on for 65 years involvement with insurance companies, there are always niche markets who will insure anything. The only No! No! is moral hazard, i.e people found out trying to cheat. I am not surprised that MMM found no evidence to back up the market practice of the many insurance companies who are trying to price us out of using our vehicles. One of the reasons I left general insurance to become a life and pensions inspector was having worked for a company who would take a realistic look at underwriting, we were taken over by a company with a different attitude. One wag described them as underwriters whose preferred fire risk was "pig iron underwater or a sprinklered graveyard". When I first met Woozle, she used to say "Insurance is a racket" With a little "persuasion" I encouraged her to say "Insurance is of benefit to the community!" Not so sure I'd bother to defend them now.

Ron

Comment

Nice to know that we agree on one thing, at last, my darling!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Woozle View Post
                    As already indicated we are exchanging our Romahome Hylo for an Autosleeper Talent. The insurance on the Romahome was placed through the C&CC insurers so I applied to them for cover with the Talent only to be told that they were increasing it by a factor of 5. I sought cover with AIB and Adrian Flux and both quoted an identical premium of £100 more than for the Romahome. I also tried Caravan Wise and will tell you later what happened. I wrote to the C&CC concerning the astonishing increase in premium and then spoke to them this morning. The reason why the colossal increase? AGE! It should have happened at the last renewal so that any change brought in the new terms. It transpires that far from being brokers, C&CC underwriters are tied agents to 2 companies both of whom discriminate due to age. Caravan Wise are similar and refused to quote. I asked if they had approached the market and their reply was that they had a panel of underwriters and the one I was quoted by AIG was not on the list. So beware when you are seeking insurance for your vans that not all "independent brokers" really are what they "say on the label"!

Ron
                    I was just wondering if C&CC are in breach of FCA regulations - "Treating the customer fairly" - in that they imply in their headline blurb that when it comes to insurance they "shop around" to get deals in their members' best interests. Now it is patently obvious if they are agents tied to 2 insurance companies they are not doing as they imply. Are they merely trading on the goodwill of their members that no one will report them. In my experience (quite limited) it can be daunting dealing with the FCA if there is the wiff of a complaint in the air.
                    Maybe Ron you should be the person to put them on the spot.
                    Jon
                    Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
                    https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

Re-arrange these professions in order of descending moral fortitude:
                      Estate agents
                      Solicitors
                      Financial advisors
                      Insurance companies / agents
                      Employment agencies
                      Used car salesmen / women
                      suivez l'aventure

Comment

I've had no end of trouble getting my Romahome Dimension also my car I'm 87 & the only way I could get a reasonable price was to restrict my mileage to 3000 a year & that was £5oo the car was about the same last year the firm I was with tried to up it to £1000 on the van unlimited mileage so no idea what next year will bring I did try UK Age buut they only do cars.
                        Pete

Comment

Pete: have you tried RIAS insurance? My dad was insured with them till over 85 yrs old.
                          https://www.rias.co.uk/

Another thing you might try is marry a 30 year old Blonde, she owns the camper and drives you to a camp site.
                          suivez l'aventure

Comment

Yes that's that's the Brokers who quoted 1k last year I'm with them with the van @ £500 & the car is with Admiral not sure on the price I'm not all that bothered with the mileage restriction I don't do long distance these days couple of trips to Devon & couple to Chichester or Dorset.
                            Pete

Comment

If you can, take heart that my 21 year old granddaughter has to pay over £1000 to drive a small 1000cc car. A learner in a small car nowadays is supposed to pay £2000. So guess what? They drive without insurance in an old wreck because of course they can't tax it, and it is liable to be lifted up and taken away any time.
                              It also irks me that I have been paying £750 a year or so for thirty years and have had no return for it. Remember when your premiums went down each year that you didn't make a claim? Now all they do is go up, even if you don't claim. Then when someone drives into you, and you are not at fault, you still get penalised. You shouldn't have been there, you should have been at home, it's partly your fault. Grrrrr.
                              suivez l'aventure

Comment