Ombudsman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ombudsman

Has anyone had dealings with the Insurance Ombudsman? I'm just about to contact him/them, and don't know what to expect.

I only know a little bit - I do know you are expected to use the companies complaints system first, and when that has brought no satisfaction you can use the Ombudsman.
    I assume you have submitted your complaint in writing to the Insurance Company or Insurance brokers Complaints department, and kept a record of all correspondence (on paper and in emails) also log date and time of telephone conversations - the company must be able to produce the recordings, if they cannot - that will be to your advantage.
    As all financial institutions have to submit annually a full record of complaints and how they were handled to the regulator - the Fiancial Conduct Authority, I am surprised you did not get satisfaction at an earlier stage.
    Jon
    Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
    https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

Yes, but from the other side....... I usually deal with the complaints !!

Comment

Thanks guys. It's just a thought, as I feel that I've been overcharged. I've just paid £622 to insure my Kangoo, and have now been quoted £667 for a 3 car policy! (with a different company). Most other quotes for the Kangoo solo are around £300-£350. It's a long complicated story, and I just thought the Ombudsman might help, but hearing other people's stories of intense complication and then failure to have their complaints upheld, I think I'll just forget it, and make certain I don't use the high-priced company again!
        Ain't hindsight a very exact science?

Comment

Whilst on the subject of insurance, I wanted my Talbot camper van included on the multi policy; they can't do it because it's a van! I pointed out that the V5 says it is a Motor Caravan, but to no avail. The computer is god!

Comment

Originally posted by emmerson View Post
            Thanks guys. It's just a thought, as I feel that I've been overcharged. I've just paid £622 to insure my Kangoo, and have now been quoted £667 for a 3 car policy! (with a different company). Most other quotes for the Kangoo solo are around £300-£350. It's a long complicated story, and I just thought the Ombudsman might help, but hearing other people's stories of intense complication and then failure to have their complaints upheld, I think I'll just forget it, and make certain I don't use the high-priced company again!
            Ain't hindsight a very exact science?
            I am sorry emmerson but I cannot understand how that is the insurance companies fault. If you failed to phone around and get other quotes surely the fault is yours, unless the person who quoted said something like "I can assure you that you will not find another deal like this which is cheaper." Then the thin line may have been crossed.
            Jon

Comment

If it's simply the case that you were unhappy with the price then that's just a commercial decision and not really within the Ombudsman's terms of reference. If however you think you were misled in some way, then it may be.

This article may give you more information:-

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org....e-pricing.html
              Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post

I am sorry emmerson but I cannot understand how that is the insurance companies fault. If you failed to phone around and get other quotes surely the fault is yours, unless the person who quoted said something like "I can assure you that you will not find another deal like this which is cheaper." Then the thin line may have been crossed.
                Jon
                Jon, as I said, hindsight is very exact.We can all do better after the event. At the time, I was given the option of paying £220 cancellation fee, or swapping the cover from my 4.2 litre Range Rover onto the 1.5 litre Kangoo, and paying £300 extra. £300 extra for insurance seemed a better bet than £220 for nothing. Had I gone for the cancellation fee, that, plus the premium for a new company would not have been much cheaper than biting the bullet and staying put.
                I should point out that my broker has been very helpful, even waiving their commision to slightly reduce the premium.
                No, what I want to know is why I've paid so much, when all other quotes are around half that, and why the insurers will not budge on the premium. Nor will they give a reason for the high price.
                Since first posting, I've had communication from the broker's complaints dept, so I'll now await their findings.

Comment

Emmerson as you used a broker, then the complaint to the Ombudsman would be against the broker. It is a fact of our internet world, that in motor insurance that often you will find insurance cheaper than the broker offers.
                  The broker my sister worked for until she retired pulled out of motor insurance about ten years ago.
                  The problem is how brokers work. We think a broker looks at every deal on offer - in fact the broker has a far smaller list of insurance companies they work with and who give the broker a commission on policies sold.
                  As in everything you get what you pay for.
                  If you went to a broker and you said, "I want a motor insurance policy."
                  And they replied, "Certainly that will be an upfront £25 search fee."
                  You would probably walk out at that point and find a broker who would search for free, but the "free" broker has to make the money, so they are tied to a few insurance companies.
                  It is the same issue as the "free banking" and branches closing - or the alternative pay a banking charge as in most of the world and branches are viable!
                  Jon

Comment

Hi Jon. I understand all that. I am dealing with a broker, and have lodged my complaint with him. I've today had acknowledgement of my complaint.
                    As I said in my previous post the broker waived his commision to help reduce my cost as the insurer refused to lower the premium. My problem is not with the service the broker has provided, rather with the ridiculously high premium charged by the insurer.
                    Just to point up how high the Kangoo premium is at £620: I will have my 3.9litre Land Rover Discovery back soon, so have just insured it. As I have used my NCB on the Kangoo and the camper, I'm now starting from scratch again. The lowest quote is £309.00. The highest is £10,400! No, that's not a mistake, ten thousand four hundred pounds! Strangely enough, that companies avatar is exactly the same as the broker that I'm in dispute with! The next highest is £1,000.
                    This is why I've made a complaint. I simply want to know why I'm being penalised when I've been a loyal, claim-free customer for a number of years.
                    Hell, even our local publican (one of the highest risk groups) only pays £800 for a super duper all tricked up brand new car, and she's only 22 years old, with six points!
                    Watch this space!

Comment

Originally posted by emmerson View Post
                      Whilst on the subject of insurance, I wanted my Talbot camper van included on the multi policy; they can't do it because it's a van! I pointed out that the V5 says it is a Motor Caravan, but to no avail. The computer is god!
                      I can't even have both my motor caravans on one policy, the car has no chance - so that's 3 policies.

Comment