X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emmerson
    replied
    Originally posted by kernowjon View Post

If this was a complaint and you had persisted with the process to Ombudsmann - Their attitude is if there is no recording then the company is in the wrong - so if you had persued the process you would have been a winner!
    I once told an insurance company that I might contact the Ombudsman. There was a gentle hint in the reply that it might just affect future insurance. Next time I asked for a quote, their's was 34 times higher than the one I took.

Leave a comment:

• emmerson
    replied
    Originally posted by Voyageuse View Post
    emmerson Britannia Rescue used to have no age limit but I think they might have changed that when they became part of LV. I still have mine insured with them, however that could be because even though I have changed vehicles I am still on the same T&Cs as when I took the policy out 20 years and they might not accept older vehicles on new policies. But could be worth checking?
    For the sake of an email, definitely! Email rather than phone, then you can print it off and file it, just in case.

Leave a comment:

• kernowjon
    replied
    Originally posted by Voyageuse View Post
    Supposedly.
    The only time I tried to rely on what was said in a phone call, the company was mysteriously unable to find it.
    If this was a complaint and you had persisted with the process to Ombudsmann - Their attitude is if there is no recording then the company is in the wrong - so if you had persued the process you would have been a winner!

Leave a comment:

• Voyageuse
    replied
    emmerson Britannia Rescue used to have no age limit but I think they might have changed that when they became part of LV. I still have mine insured with them, however that could be because even though I have changed vehicles I am still on the same T&Cs as when I took the policy out 20 years and they might not accept older vehicles on new policies. But could be worth checking?

Leave a comment:

• Voyageuse
    replied
    Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
    Now remember all calls to insurance brokers are recorded (or should be), when I take out the insurance I specifically ask, "does this breakdown insurance specifically cover this vehicle?"
    By my reckoning if anything goes wrong I will then have a come-back on the broker by a formal complaint - even if in a worst case scenario I had to esculate my complaint to the Financial Services Ombudsmann (the last resort)!
    Jon
    Supposedly.
    The only time I tried to rely on what was said in a phone call, the company was mysteriously unable to find it.

Leave a comment:

• emmerson
    replied
    One other major point on European travel; most recovery companies exclude all vehicles over ten years old. Janet's point about exclusions when dealing direct with the clubs applies here too. Arriva (?) through the CCC doesn't have this clause, but direct with the RAC does!
    The only recoverers I found who covered everything, (including repatriating the dog), was ADAC, but unfortunately they stopped taking on non-German new customers. However, those of us who were already members remain covered.
    As all of my vehicles are retro, this is the main reason why I joined ADAC, but your vehicles age can "creep up" on you. My Kangoo is my "modern" car, but all of a sudden its become 11 years old. I only realised this when the battery failed last week.
    Yes, I know the number plate tells me its old, but its just always there so you don't notice.
    Or is it just me being dull?

Leave a comment:

• The Sitter
    replied
    Have been aware of the problems with larger vans, regarding recovery by breakdown insurers, and like you we have our breakdown cover with the van’s insurer, both in Britain and abroad. I believe if you get your breakdown cover via the clubs this also covers recovery of larger vehicles, even though the C&CC use the RAC and they generally have an exclusion clause if you if you get breakdown cover from them directly. This seams crazy to me why if the RAC can recover larger vehicles when offering the insurance through the club how the heck can they say they are unable to do it when you approach them directly.
    The other thing that has caught people out is when you have cover abroad and there is cover to provide a driver to get you home when the driver of the vehicle is incapacitated, if you have somebody else on board who can legally drive the vehicle, never mind if they have never driven abroad, it is assumed they will take over driving the vehicle and another driver will not be provided. We could potentially be caught out by this as I am insured to drive the van and although I have driven in France it has always been almost exclusively on motorways, it’s pretty difficult to go the wrong way on a motorway, but I’m not entirely confident on other routes through towns etc but I suppose I would just have to sort myself out, I’ve been driving for over fifty years so I should know what I’m doing I think it’s just a matter of confidence’
    Janet

Leave a comment:

• kernowjon
    started a topic Breakdown Insurance

Breakdown Insurance

Have you read the small print on your breakdown insurance? Especially the sections relating to recovery and taken note of the "exclusion clauses" mainly relating to size (length, width, height and width).

Many years ago I was caught out by one of these exclusions, and I noticed @voyaguesse reported she potentially had a similar experience with one of her vans.

I think my solution is relatively "watertight", I get my breakdown insurance with the insurance on the van. Now remember all calls to insurance brokers are recorded (or should be), when I take out the insurance I specifically ask, "does this breakdown insurance specifically cover this vehicle?"
    By my reckoning if anything goes wrong I will then have a come-back on the broker by a formal complaint - even if in a worst case scenario I had to esculate my complaint to the Financial Services Ombudsmann (the last resort)!
    Jon