No announcement yet.

Rear Steadies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artoo0 To be honest it's been such a long time since I even saw our jacks, which are lurking somewhere in the garage, that I have no idea what shape they are

Comment

We always use the steadies on our Surf when we are on site, as it seems a bit bouncy at the back without them when we are constantly going in and out. We don't normally bother when it's just standing on the drive.

As far as levelling is concerned, we have to have our van pretty level or the fridge won't work. We have a mini spirit level to help with this.

Comment

Originally posted by jenjo View Post
        We always use the steadies on our Surf when we are on site, as it seems a bit bouncy at the back without them when we are constantly going in and out. We don't normally bother when it's just standing on the drive.

As far as levelling is concerned, we have to have our van pretty level or the fridge won't work. We have a mini spirit level to help with this.
        Is this if the fridge is on gas, or is still a problem on mains electric?

Comment

The only time in 25+ years I've had a problem with the fridge not working was when it was on electric - but the van was pitched at a very steep angle. Some chaps got an assortment of logs and lumps of concrete to lift the back end for me, about 2 feet. It sill wasn't level but the fridge worked.

Comment

We only ever use the fridge on mains electric, It isn't an old fridge, it was new two and a half years ago, but it has always had this problem.It works fine as long as the van is level but is completely dead otherwise. We haven't really tried it on gas, maybe we should just to see if it's the same. Your fridge may not have this issue, it's the first time we have come across it, but, if anytime your fridge doesn't work, check if the van is level before doing anything else.

Comment

I use the steadies when on site on my Duo, for one it keeps them free'd up. They were seized when I bought the van.
              If there are two of you I should imagine it would feel quite bouncy when the other stepped in or out.
              The Romahome manual say's they should be used to stabilize the van when retrieving the spare wheel after jacking the van up.

I also use leveling wedges as I like a level van.
              Always seems to be the back wheels that the wedges go under.
              The downside to this is the step down can be a bit of a step.
              I once forgot how far it was and missed the step completely and nearly fell flat on my face. I was dark though and no drink was involved.

Comment

Although my rear steadies aren't seized, they are quite rusty. I'm going to clean them up with a wire brush but what do people use to protect them that doesn't leave your hands in a right mess every time you use them?

Comment

we've never used our steadies we have a little trianguler level and good enough is good enough if it's not i use the levelers and.... we went back to the old house to pick up some stuff and found out old levelers so now we got two sets

Comment

Originally posted by kevin1841 View Post
                    Although my rear steadies aren't seized, they are quite rusty. I'm going to clean them up with a wire brush but what do people use to protect them that doesn't leave your hands in a right mess every time you use them?
                    I was told to use plain grease, the stuff that comes in a tin. That's what I use on the caravan steadies as well. You have to wash it off every now and again, and re-apply it, as little bits like small stones stick to it. And a pair of rubber gloves!

Comment

I'll get some! Thanks Jayjay.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin1841 View Post
                        I'll get some! Thanks Jayjay.
                        Get an aerosol of Comma grease and spray not only the screw bit but also the metalwork of the steady - the lowering leg and the metal frame which is bolted to the underside - as next down from waxoil it - Coma Grease is also corrosion resistant.
                        Some people use this grease instead of Waxoil to keep their pride and joy rust free!

Jon
                        Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
                        https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

Jon. I have a rear boot door on our jalopy. this is held by piano type hinges. always grimy with road filth. on opening it feels gritty. is there a suitable lubricant for this problem?

Comment

I'm one of those picky campers who tries to get as level as possible but without being OCD about it. When we caravanned our steadies where used without question and when parked on the drive, but now with the Rio we dont have them. I do take a couple of levellers as I dont like being too un-level, especially side to side rather than front to back even though the picture shows otherwise

20180629_204522.jpg

Comment

I have had my C15 for over 15 months now and have never used levellers but i always use the steadies when it was pointed out to me how much the rear went up and down when gettting in and out. I wind them down so that they just touch the wooden blocks i put down and then i wind them back a very little.
                              Wandering in a dazed state!

Comment

yes it would earth it from a static electricity point of view. but in I lightening strike to the nr by ground it would attract it to the van hair raising !!! but as jj says its just a steady remember on the surf there is an overhang .some steady say not weight bearing some bolted to the main chassis depends on the van and maker
                                BuzznDave

Comment