Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peterholden
    replied
    The 1.9 R20s are the 1868 DW8 engine, we have one, it is a plodder and not as economical as the 1.6 HDi but it will go forever, it copes with everything we throw at it without a problem, it has just turned 90000 miles and the engine is just beginning to loosen up. A 2004 surf would have the same engine. Our car is a 1.6 HDi Berlingo, does 50 mpg and flies, I have towed a loaded car trailer behind it But I like the camper, it takes us to really interesting places. I am typing this on a campsite near Colmar in eastern France, 5pm and the temperature in the shade is 27 degrees.

Peter

Leave a comment:

• rennie
    replied
    ours is 2L JTD 115PS I think. I wouldn't want much less power! we got high 40's mpg on our recent trip and that included 70+ mph
    on the autobahns and some proper twisty/challenging mountain roads

Leave a comment:

• Rob B
    replied
    The PSA/Ford hdi engine is one of the best diesel engines ever made. They do however, have diesel particulate filters, which the older 1.9XUD don't. DPFs can cause problems if they become clogged and can be expensive to fix. Not that you should be put off, just something to be aware of.
    ​​

Leave a comment:

• doog
    replied
    seems a tad heavy on juice. perhaps the computer, he lie . maybe mine does too. it reads 32.2mpg. and that's a 3litre. have just double checked and the figure is right. if yours is right then mine's not too shabby.
    Last edited by doog; 13-10-2018, 17:10.

Leave a comment:

• TheOldHobbit
    replied
    The MPG on the Surfs seems excellent. If I am to believe the inboard computer then our Nu Rio 2.0ltr offers us on average 35mpg.....

Leave a comment:

• jayjay
    replied
    Originally posted by SandraM View Post
    Hello kevin1841 and welcome to the site.

Can't answer your question I'm afraid but just wanted to say "hello"
    And Hi from me too!

Leave a comment:

• kevin1841
    replied
    Thanks everyone - Seems I don't have to worry about that then!

Leave a comment:

• kyran
    replied
    i HAD A 1.6 HDI SURF IT DID 50 TO THE GALLON (turn caps off) was very nice possibly a little better on the hills than our current surf which is a 1.9 and only does around 44 - 48 a gallon but this surf has a bigger gas bottle and as much as we use it we are still only on the second bottle since we've had it. (18 months) there is nothing like waking up and finding no gas to make tea apart from the engine and the size of the gas bottle there really is no difference worth noting I also have a small bar be que resident in it waiting for me to finally get to a rally in time to use it

kyran

Leave a comment:

• Ian.C.S
    replied
    I had a R20 with the 1.9, it was quick and fast 95mph.( not that I ever broke the speed limit officer!) I now have the 1.6 not quite so quick for overtaking and not quite so fast at the top end. I preferred the 1.9

Leave a comment:

• jenjo
    replied
    We have a 2007 Surf with the 1.6Hdi engine and it's brilliant. We also wondered how powerful it would be when we first saw it advertised, knowing that the older versions were 1.9, but we needn't have worried, There is definitely no question of it being under powered, it drives like a dream and zips up the hills with no problem at all. Presumably, the 2011 model you are interested in will be what is called the 'nu surf', with the newer body style. We haven't driven one of those, neither have we driven the older 1.9 type so can only comment on our particular van which we are very pleased with.

Leave a comment:

• kevin1841
    replied
    Originally posted by SandraM View Post

Thank you Sandra!

Leave a comment:

• Derekoak
    replied
    Our new doblo has a 1.6 engine the old 1.9 the power output is the same. The new engine feels better as the old was passed on because of 176,000 miles.
    you should look and compare the power and torque the volume of the cylinders is not as important.

Leave a comment:

• SandraM
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kevin1841
    started a topic Nu Venture Surf 1.9 versus Nu Venture Surf 1.6

Nu Venture Surf 1.9 versus Nu Venture Surf 1.6

Hi, first time poster here. We have had our eye on a 2004 Nu Venture Surf, however a 2011 one has just surfaced that looks absolutely wonderful, but we are worried that its 1.6 engine won't be able to cope (The 2004 is a 1.9). Has anyone had experience of both engines?