Fitting a Microwave

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting a Microwave

We've been looking at ways of installing a microwave in our Rio. It's a subject that can create diverse views and in the past we've been with and without this bit of modern gadgetry in our various homes on wheels. We tend to self cater in the evenings, and on balance, and as we get less inclined to haul out copious pots and pans at mealtimes, (and clean them later!) we have found a microwave quite useful. The only sensible place in the Rio seems to be the cupboard below the hob/grill. However, this is not a big space and research has shown that the only available unit that might fit is the Daewoo QT1R. This is as small as microwaves go it seems whilst still remaining practical. In best "Blue Peter" tradition I created as accurate a replica as I could, using cardboard and sticky back plastic! and offered it up. Yes, it does seem to fit...just! But as the actual microwave is £75 I didn't want to commit until I could be reasonable sure of success.
    Has anyone else solved the problem in this, or any other way? It would be helpful to know.

Thanks

Hi J&D. Not in a Romahome, but I had this problem in my Camelot. There's no point in explaining how I did it as it wouldn't apply to yours, but one thing I must stress is that the oven will need lots of air around it, and at least two inches of space all round too. Aside from the Camelot, I fitted one in the bottom of the wardrobe in my little caravan and had to put a vent in the side of the van to ensure it had air.
    All three of our units have microwaves now, as I find Calor gas is getting a bit too expensive to use when we have electricity on site any way.

Comment

Jeff and Di - What part of the country are you in? I approached the whole campervan project in a kind of backwards way and started buying accessories long before I even had finally chosen the van. I bought the Daewoo QT3, it's the same as the QT1 only pink, I bought it because it was £20 cheaper than the white one and I reasoned it would probably end up being kept in a cupboard most of the time and colour did not matter. In the end I've not really found a place for it in the van but think I might take it with me if I get an awning and have more space.

I am based in Glasgow, if you're anywhere near you'd be welcome to try putting it in your space to see if it would work!

Comment

In my caravanning days I used to carry a microwave on the floor of the van at the front, between the bunks, and lift it into position on top of the cooker when on site (I never used the gas when on EHU so didn't need the cooker).
        I tried this in campervans, but I use sites less and move around more so I found the hassle wasn't worth it for the odd times when I have EHU.
        Wouldn't be without it at home though - use it for everything.

Comment

we had a microwave in our Laika! never used it. mind you we also had a full sized cooker. I never used that either!!

Comment

Thanks everyone, for the helpful feedback. "Emmerson" had a comment regarding circulation space around the unit. I think we should be alright with that. The size limitation is critical for the cupboard opening, once through into the space behind the actual storage is notably larger. "Gregor" offered to let us try his unit for size, which was very kind. However we live near Bath, in deepest darkest Somerset, so a trip to Glasgow might take some time!
            Seems there's little for it but to "Bite the Bullet" and buy one, opting, as also suggested, for the pink version, which is nearly half the price. We can be colour blind for that sort of saving! We'll let you know how it all goes...or not!

Comment

We fitted it!

As of today, we have a micro wave in our Rio. Not without a lot of grunting and headscratching, but we did it!
              Taking Gregor's advice we purchased the Daewoo QT3R, at the more reasonable price of £49, and, yes, it is VERY pink! Then the problems started. Using the cupboard below the Hob/Grill as the only possible location we proved it would go in the narrower door aperture, as carefully measured, but only end on, however, once into the wider interior there still wasn't quite enough width to turn it around to face outwards. After much head scratching Di discovered that contrary to our assumption, the mid fitted shelf on which we planned to site said microwave was in fact removable. Once removed the full depth of the cupboard could be used, and by gently inserting the microwave vertically, there was enough internal space to then turn it through 90 degrees to horizontal facing the front. Problem now, was that with the microwave held temporarily in place there was insufficient headroom to refit the shelf! After "a family discussion!" we overcame this problem by cutting a series of shelf width 2 inch wide wooden slats and inserting them one by one under the microwave, thus building up a shelf. It was then only necessary to screw down the front slat, thus holding all the others in place. Wiring was then fairly simple. An in-line socket was fitted inside the cupboard and cable run through the adjacent seat base and up the wall to the socket situated at high level. Small transparent double sided sticky pads seem to do a reasonable job of holding the cable in place in the short area where it shows, without being intrusive, and the walls have not been punctured with any sort of Tack.
              It seems to work a treat, and the original shelf has been carefully stored so we can return all to the manufactured state should we ever need to sell.

Thank you all again for the advice.

Comment

See, where there's a will, there's a microwave! Well done.

Comment

widgetinstance 226 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X