No announcement yet.

Working on my 2001 Nu Venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So today I took my trusty Pug 407 for a trip up motorway to Stafford. It went into limp mode last night on way home so a blast up the motorway for 20 minutes at 3000+ rpm usually does the trick. My OBD2 reader tells me though that the egr valve is knackered, another bloody job for me.
    Whist in Stafford I visited the former and original owner of my van. His name n address was in the service manual. There was a bit of concern when I turned into the cul de sac where he lived as there was another Surf parked in same spot as I’d seen mine on google. Thoughts of cloning came to mind, but when I got nearer it was Peugeot Partner Surf. Anyway I knocked on the door and a man aged around 80 answered, so I asked him to confirm his name, which he did and I asked if it was his Surf parked outside ?
    ‘yes’ he said ‘and it’s not for sale’. well says I, I think I’ve bought your old van. He was very surprised as he said he sold it as scrap !
    seems somebody made some money then. I told him all the work I’d done and he was very happy to know his old friend that he’d covered 180,000 miles in was still going. He also confirmed my suspicions that he’d had it built new just for him, hence the unusual layout. He told me he still goes away in his camper, but not as much now. Before I left him, he also asked that I keep in touch. I’ll send him a postcard !
    I've also sourced a space saver wheel. Couldn’t find a Pug or Citroen to fit, but picked up a Ford Focus one off Marketplace for £10.
    These wont fit as the hole in the centre is too small, but bolt spacing is right. So, half an hour with a flapwheel later and voila jobs a goodun!
    happy with my work I tool it to van ready to slot it into the wardrobe, bugger, it’s too big !
    so another modification required to move the door ! The list seems to get bigger !

Comment

‘The best bit was he was in his own car so could not do me for going past at between 80 to 85 That could have cost me a few more points.’
      going to Court would be embarrassing, I work there !

Comment

Been out a couple of times over weekend just to try n sort any gremlins out. Still not happy with the brakes, they work but I think they could be better. The Mrs went off to Shrewsbury for a family picnic today, so I went for a drive round. Did Bridgnorth, then Church Stretton.I decided to give the old girl the ultimate test so then went to Shrewsbury via the Long Mynd which runs up the side of the beautiful Carding Mill Valley.
        The weather was stunning and the old girl never missed a beat. (The van was ok too !)
        Made an error going down the other side though and ended up coming back over the Long Mynd the other way by a different route !
        All went well until on a borrow lane with few passing points I met a 4x4 with a huge Caravan on the back. I’d got nowhere to go so he reversed back to a gate where I could nip in and he got past.
        Plenty of campers around, too bloody many cos of the Van Jam at Weston Park ! Notice on M54 as I came home was 1 hours delay on M6, I avoided that. Good day out, thank god I never bought a Surf with a 1.9D engine, think I’d still be at bottom of the hill !
        (that’ll wind up the 1.9D owners he he)

Comment

Our Romahome has a 1.9 DW8 engine and it copes just fine

Peter

Comment

I have to agree about the brakes, they are woeful. For once I am hoping that there is some sort of problem!

Comment

Something wrong somewhere then as our brakes are really good and the MOT tester comments about the readings on the machine.

Peter

Comment

Thanks Peter, I'd better prioritize that then! Methinks a trip to the Belingo forum might reap dividends...

Comment

Originally posted by kevin1841 View Post
                  Thanks Peter, I'd better prioritize that then! Methinks a trip to the Belingo forum might reap dividends...
                  The berlingo forum is a bit quiet with fewer of our models left ! Join the French Car Forum, lots of stuff on there
                  https://frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/i...45c01948241c4b
                  as for the brakes, drums on the back are never as good as discs and more trouble.
                  Might be worth checking if your compensator is correctly adjusted. Mine feel like the rears do little or nothing so I may try a bit of tweaking.
                  Last edited by Martinez; 08-07-2019, 22:13.

Comment

While I’m here, noticed a little water getting onto the floor in passenger side. There were rubber seals glued onto the tops of the door frame when I got van, but they were falling off so I removed them. I’m wondering if its water accumulating at the top of the door which then drips into the van ?
                    ive still got the seals and some double sided tape so can soon stick them back on again. Unless the leak is elsewhere ?

Comment

Don't forget the compensator can seize up if not maintained.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Martinez View Post
                        While I’m here, noticed a little water getting onto the floor in passenger side. There were rubber seals glued onto the tops of the door frame when I got van, but they were falling off so I removed them. I’m wondering if its water accumulating at the top of the door which then drips into the van ?
                        ive still got the seals and some double sided tape so can soon stick them back on again. Unless the leak is elsewhere ?
                        Rubber seals glued on? On the outside or the inside of the door?
                        I had the same problem with my caravan door. The door slopes inwards from the outside, so water ran down the door and came in round the bottom of the door. After searching everywhere for a door strip and not finding one, I fashioned a drip strip from 3" wide Gorilla Tape! And it's still there and still doing a good job after goodness knows how many years!

I think you might need to replace the original door seals to do the job properly. It's almost certainly where the water is getting in and dribbling down the door.

You can send a piece of the seal to Seals Direct and they will identify it and give you a price on a complete new door seal... that's if it is the original seals that have come off. Or if the door seals proper have degraded. It could just be that the door needs adjusting.

Let me know if you would like pics of my door fix. I also put some plastic gripper stuff from Seals Direct around the sides, making it a lot less draughty!

Comment

Think I’ve got same problem with my rear door. The frame collects the water at the bottom and it doesn’t run outside but inside.
                          Ive had vehicles before with rubber drip strips as original fitment. Mine may well be original or because of the Luton roof above the doors Nu Venture may have fitted them. Or previous owner did it due to a leak. I don’t think it leaks through the door seals, I think it just accumulates there then drips in when the door is open. Does anyone know for sure ?

Comment

Like this?

Comment

That’s them

Comment

Another day out in the van. Weather was said to be better further south so we headed for Symonds Yat. Had our first lunch in the back then called into Ross on Wye to check out the chazzer shops. Van never missed a beat although it nearly all got cancelled last night after I lost my wallet. Rang tha Bank n cancelled my debit card only for my better half to find the wallet where I’d put it. So no debit card again ! That’s twice in 3 months after the dodgy cash machine ate the previous one ! So no buying off eBay.
                                My main gripe with the van is no cruise control. Sorry but I’ve got to have it. I’m so used to it now and it makes the Motorway miles more relaxing.
                                So as soon as I get my new debit card I’m buying one, and some new speakers n dab aerial adaptor for the new radio too. The there’s the leisure battery, the new cushions, the flooring, the door, the interior lighting................where’s the Gin ?

Comment