No announcement yet.

Working on my 2001 Nu Venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a downpour the other day. Looks like the leak I’ve got in the toilet area is coming in through the access door for the toilet cassette. I’ve taped it up for now to see if there’s any more leaks.
    I turned my attention to the interior. The cupboard doors are all looking shabby and my original idea was to just replace them, then I came up with a cunning plan. More work for me but I think they’ll be better than some other replacements I’ve seen, so here’s how to fix em up.
    The biggest problem with my doors was where the damp had got under the plastic coating. Basically the door frames are just mdf with sticky back plastic on top, and the panels are plywood with same stuff. The panels all looked ok, but where the frames are joined at 45deg, they were parting company and the plastic had lifted

Comment

You won’t stick this stuff back down, so only thing to do is rip it off. Before trying this, you need to remove the middle panel first. It’s stuck in with contact adhesive and 6 staples. My advice is to pry the panel out with a thin flat blade working around the inside perimeter until it comes loose. It’s better to pull the staples through the plywood panel than try and pull them out first. This way the inside of the panel doesn’t end up with large holes in the plastic.

Comment

This should leave the panel with a few tiny holes on the back/ inside part where the staples have pulled through, or with staples still in which can be pushed back through again. This is the front of the panel so any damage in removing it needs to stay around the edges which are behind the frames

Comment

Next is removing the sticky back plastic. Best method I’ve found is to start on the back inner edge and try n keep it all in big bits, pulling it around the frame and returning to the back side again

Comment

You should end up with a frame that looks like this

Comment

After cleaning the contact adhesive off the back of the frame with a scraper, the corners will need gluing together with pva. Best to pull them apart slightly by bending the frame parts, then fill with glue and leave to dry on a flat surface with a weight on top

Comment

Finally, sand smooth and give a coat of acrylic primer-undercoat. This will need flatting off with wire wool or wet n dry before final coat.
                You should end up with a tidy looking door frame ready to paint to colour match your interior. I’m still using the original fake wood effect panels fitted back into the frame, you can paint these too if you want but it’s a lot more work

Comment

Points to note. The contact adhesive used to fix the panels in comes off the plastic finish easily, but it’s a bugger to remove off the back of the mdf frame as it seems to have soaked in a little. Jus keep scraping till it’s all off, just watch you don’t damage the edges that will be seen from the front.
                  You may find that some of the plastic pulls off the panel, just be careful when prising it off and again keep any damage to the area behind the frame.
                  You could use same adhesive to fix the panels back in again, but contact adhesive is messy n expensive. I’m considering using No More Nails. Trouble is, if ever you wanted to remove the panels again it would be a real sod to do. Your choice what you use, but just make sure the panels fit nice when viewed from the front

Comment

I love a bargain. My trip up to Chesterfield today provided my latest. Found a guy selling caravan upholstery material on Faceache. I purchased some dark grey Velour type material with a light grey fleck. Now I’ve been looking round for something suitable and was expecting to fork out £20 to £30 per metre. Today’s price ? £10 for the roll !
                    He’s also got carpet stuff and numerous other odd rolls all at £10 a roll. If you want some, pm me n I’ll give you his details
                    Photo doesn’t do it justice, it’s got a nice soft velvety feel

Comment

Noticed last night that the material matches the new seats I bought. Winner winner

Comment

Serendipity in action. It was meant to be then!!

Comment

Somebody is certainly smiling down on me Sandra. Makes a bloody change !
                          looks like the door frames will be grey to match the cushions, not looking forward to sewing them together so I’m working on the better half having a go. Don’t think I’ll bother with the piping round the edges, too much like hard work and not easy methinks. She’s already removed the old fabric off the seats, so if anybody needs it let me know. It’s actually in good condition, and very er....red !

Comment

I sometimes think that although piping can give a professional finish, it is also the first part to show wear because it is the edge and can even be uncomfortable, especially on sunburn!!!!

Comment

E918FC30-6704-4AB9-807A-06F45129CE48.jpeg My new cruise control system arrived yesterday, and to be honest, I need it bad. Another 5 hours of driving around Shropshire highlighted to me just how uncomfortable this thing is to drive. My legs just don’t work that well after suffering the torturous cramped driving position. I’m hoping the new seats may improve matters as the drivers seat has height adjustment. But it’s the leg room that seems really lacking. Perhaps berlingos were never built for 6 footers ?
                              im going to tackle the floor in the rear today. I know most of you had a heatwave yesterday, but we headed to the hills and lunch at Cardingmill Valley where there’s running water and a cool breeze. Our trip over the top towards Shrewsbury lead us into a thunder storm which cooled things down a bit, but also proved that the leak into the rear section was actually from the cassette door. I’d taped it up and no leaks seen.
                              I’m going to try n just fix the toilet side to avoid removing the kitchen unit, but all depends on it’s construction and what I find is the damage.
                              Cupboard doors are looking good and her indoors is looking on in horror at the task of making new cushions.

Comment

99938984-B397-4B8D-BCCF-D23A8555FC5F.jpeg My investigations are complete and the evidence is rot rot n more rot !
                                looks like there’s also been an issue with water ingress from the wheel arch, it’s going to be a bugger of a job, but hey ho, it’s not like I haven’t got loads of other things to do. Managed to take down the scaffolding on the house this morning, just need to move it to different place to finish the guttering. Then there’s my other car that needs fixing + 2 motorcycles. Then the Driveway and the new windows etc etc

Comment