No announcement yet.

Working on my 2001 Nu Venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This job will just be a little in filler then just to keep you busy and not bored

Comment

Maybe a trip to Beachy Head is the answer ?
      makes you think though, you never know what’s lurking in parts you can’t actually see he he

Comment

Originally posted by Martinez View Post
        99938984-B397-4B8D-BCCF-D23A8555FC5F.jpeg My investigations are complete and the evidence is rot rot n more rot !
        looks like there’s also been an issue with water ingress from the wheel arch, it’s going to be a bugger of a job, but hey ho, it’s not like I haven’t got loads of other things to do. Managed to take down the scaffolding on the house this morning, just need to move it to different place to finish the guttering. Then there’s my other car that needs fixing + 2 motorcycles. Then the Driveway and the new windows etc etc
        That's a lot of rot! You will need to find out where all that water is getting in and fix that first. Then you can replace the innards. Have a look at my 'leaking bucket' thread in the caravan section, I was doing a fair bit of this myself not long ago!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post

That's a lot of rot! You will need to find out where all that water is getting in and fix that first. Then you can replace the innards. Have a look at my 'leaking bucket' thread in the caravan section, I was doing a fair bit of this myself not long ago!
          Think I already said leak was through cassette door + bottom of floor behind wheel arch.
          I’m going to cut out the rotten wood frame with my Fein Multimaster then glue new wood in with Polyeurethe glue. It’s great stuff but don’t get it on your hands cos it won’t come off ! But it does set quick, it’s waterproof and if you dab one side with a damp sponge it expands to fill any gaps.
          The floor is made up of a sandwich of 6mm ply with a wood frame (un treated) and polystyrene infill. It also has an aluminium sheet underneath stuck on with epoxy resin. Not the best idea as the epoxy doesn’t stick that well to the painted surface of the ally, but I’ll probably do the same as I’ve got stuff in stock. I’ll also have to cut the inside of the wall area where it meets the floor which looks to be no more than hardboard. Then I’m thinking I’ll use plastic trim to create a sort of skirting around the area glued to the wall and floor. I’m also going to fit some sort of mudflaps to keep most of the water and crap off the road from spraying the rear chassis and the floor where the rot is. I did notice a small amount of corrosion on the opposite side of the van, but no evidence of water ingress yet. I’d recommend anyone with this model to look at mudflaps as the rot can’t be seen unless you take off the side skirts. Either that or become World Champion Limbo Dancer !
          I’ll take a look at your post jayjay

Comment

Using plastic trim...in the outside locker on my caravan my ex Hubble used plastic soffit board to good effect. It has a lip on it which you can glue and/or screw (we did both) to right/left angled walls. I know someone who used it around a shower tray and loo floor as well to good effect. Might it do the job?

Comment

Using plastic trim...in the outside locker on my caravan my ex Hubble used plastic soffit board to good effect. It has a lip on it which you can glue and/or screw (we did both) to right/left angled walls. I know someone who used it around a shower tray and loo floor as well to good effect. Might it do the job?
              I love that plastic soffit stuff. You can almost work it like wood and it looks neat. It’s also very good for boxing in pipes in your bathroom at home.
              Go to one of the plastics centres that sell this stuff and check out all the other profiles they stock, there’s something for every bodge !
              i read your post jayjay re caravan, don’t forget to seal windows and any gaps on inside too or condensation will find its way in, try painting with Acrylic Primer Undercoat, it’s water based so dries quick and gives a satin finish that’s wipe clean. That plastic stuff as you say will cover up any damp

Comment

Well, looks like the soffit board will be coming in handy !
                you can see the holes that have caused the leak in the top left hand corner. Trouble with the sandwich stuff they use is that if water does get in it just soaks it up. I’m looking at using marine ply to repair this and I’ll scarf some supporting timber in too. At least the rear section timber frame is in good nick, as for the rest, it was like soft putty. The ally sheet on the bottom also needs a few patches but that’s easy peasy
                9DC46DB0-893F-4068-9DFA-7F0D84B2128C.jpeg
                looks like a bit of hoovering required too eh ?

Comment

Hi Martinez
                  Hope you don't mind but I've PM'd you for advice about a spongy floor in the same area of my Surf as you've been working on in yours,

Cheers
                  Gill T.

Comment

More new toys arriving weekly. New door speakers fitted
                    8FB04681-4553-4F1D-9A6A-C9ECB4C48D2E.jpeg
                    and this lot to fit some time
                    image_20067.jpg

Ive still got the new cruise control system to install. The list never ends eh !
                    been a bit slow lately as my better half was rushed into hospital last week with suspected Diptheria !
                    Doctor told me that since inoculations were introduced in 1970s they don’t see it much in children these days, but older folk in their 50s n 60s, so if you get a really sore throat and have trouble swallowing and breathing, go to the hospital immediately. Mind you, the original diagnosis along the lines of throat cancer was more worrying !

Comment

I’m beginning to think this van is cursed !
                      apart from my partners recent hospitalisation, I caught a cold on Monday and by Thursday I was pretty much bed ridden with bronchitis or the like !
                      After coughing my guts up for days I’ll be well enough to go back to work tomorrow and that’ll be 2 more weeks with little work done on the van.
                      Ah well, nothing else can go this wrong can it ?

Comment

Best wishes for your other half, Martinez. I hope she gets better soon... sounds nasty. And I hope you get better soon as well, keep warm.

Comment

Originally posted by gterr View Post
                          Hi Martinez
                          Hope you don't mind but I've PM'd you for advice about a spongy floor in the same area of my Surf as you've been working on in yours,

Cheers
                          Gill T.
                          Delamination is quite common. If it's not a large area, a kit will do the trick, Gill.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CARAVAN-SOF.../dp/B006MVWRWU

Comment

Delamination is quite common. If it's not a large area, a kit will do the trick, Gill.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CARAVAN-SOF.../dp/B006MVWRWU
                            Thank you, jayjay ,
                            I thought I'd heard of that kit before! It is only a small area - just inside the back door. The Surf goes in to Highland Campervans for its habitation check later this week and they will report on damp etc (but don't offer damp repair services). So, whatever happens it will have to be a DIY job unless I'm willing to travel a long way.

Cheers
                            Gill T

Comment

Mm, like most of these quick fixes it’s a bodge tbh. And if the damp has spread under the floor it won’t dry out either. Save yourself some money and just buy the Polyurethane Glue. It’s the same stuff I use, don’t get it on your hands it doesn’t come off !
                              if you look at some of the photos of my floor, you can see a circle cut near the entrance area. I used a hole saw without the centre drill fitted. The idea was to inspect what’s underneath. I was hoping that I could just cut out the area by the door n glue in some new plywood. But alas, the rot by the door was nothing compared to what was under the toilet !
                              The plywood is only 4mm thick on the floor and looks to be marine grade as little of it was laminated, but the timber struts (which also support the levelling jacks) were rotten, as was the timber frame around the circumference. I think the sponginess is probably when the plywood comes away from the polystyrene inner. That poly glue is activated by moisture and is waterproof. It similar to expanding foam in a stray can. It’ll fix it, but just be sure that’s the extent of the problem is my advice.

Comment

So, something positive to share. The Alarm and Immobiliser fitted to my van was bugging me. It’s a Meta Systems unit Thatcham approved but a bit useless without the remote to turn it on n off. I know it worked because if I removed it the van was dead ! Anyway, whilst removing the lower glove compartment to find it, I noticed a key switch in the top glove box and a toggle switch. Had to be for the alarm cos the same key switch was fitted to one of the 2 (yes 2 !) sirens under the bonnet. So I got in touch with Abacus Alarms who seem to be the Gurus on these units, they advised to send it to them and they will reprogram the unit and supply 2 plippers coded for use. So says I, well I’m not sure I want to chuck £125 at it unless there’s no other option.
                                Having read posts on the TVR club forum, it seems these plippers aren’t that reliable, and if the battery goes flat they’re a bugger to reprogram again. But mention was made of a ‘valet switch’ which I suspected was what I’d found in the glovebox. So emailing Abacus again I asked if this switch would arm the Alarm allowing me to arm n disarm with the switch. ‘No’ they said, ‘it just turns the unit on and off you can’t use it as you suggest’. Well, not being one to give up I thought I’d give it a try.
                                I didn’t have a key for the switch and getting the thing out was a real fiddle but brute force n determination won the day. I cut the 2 wires off the back of the switch, and then put a multimeter across the switch to see if it was open circuit or closed (on or off) no reading, so open circuit. Now the worry.
                                If I connect the wires together will it arm the alarm and will it just go off or do nothing, also, if I activate the alarm and it immobilises the van, will it reset itself or will it be stuck permanently. what the hell, just do it n see eh ? Twisted the wires together and some bleeping noises came from the dash and the red Led started flashing on the dash. So I got out of the van and checked the other Led on the front Grille, that was glowing red. Oo I thought, that looks promising, so I opened the door to get back in the van and all hell broke loose !!!
                                I quickly untwisted the wires and the painfully loud alarm went off. So, try to start the van........nothing. Turned over but wouldn’t start. Bugger I think and shut the door on the van. This miraculously seemed to reset the alarm and the engine started up first turn.
                                So, I’ve ordered a remote control switch with 2 plippers off Fleabay for £7. I’ll fit this in series with the key switch (I’ve already ordered 2 of them) and I can arm and disarm the thing by remote. Total saving £118 he he.
                                Just to add, my mate came round and I asked him to check the sidelights whilst I twisted the wires together, result, sidelights flash 3 times when armed. So as far as I’m concerned, winner winner chicken dinner !
                                There’s always a ying to go with the yang though, the better half has volunteered to look after her sisters cats until next Tuesday. So we can’t go anywhere this weekend. Bugger !

Comment