No announcement yet.

Working on my 2001 Nu Venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, as I’m trapped at home I’ve not got any excuse but to get on with fixing the floor. I bought 12mm marine ply as this will allow me to create better joints by overlapping edges. Here’s the first section of floor and where it will fit. I’ve left 2’’ of good ply at the base and this board will be glued on top of that, then the rear of board will fit under the wooden frame at the rear.
    9A0226A3-DB13-47C3-AE7E-E2E8BF064AF2.jpeg1E82A7D8-BA8B-4787-A5DA-DA3057488DC3.jpeg1600CA9B-33B3-4EDC-8C31-E2AF9B6097E9.jpeg
    live tried to fit it but looks like I’ll have to make up a bit of frame at base of nearside wall. Because the original floor was fitted before the sides and back, I can’t get the board to go under at the rear and at the side at the same time. I’ve got some hardwood in stock so I’ll cut some of that up to make the new frame piece. This first panel also needs to be glued to the aluminium sheet at the base. Then the second board will be glued on top of this one which will bring it 5mm lower than the old floor. Finally I’ve got at piece of Foamex plastic that will go on top of both boards making it flush with the old part of the floor.
    Well, that’s the plan anyway !

Comment

Sounds like everything is moving in the right direction. But what I do not understand is why Foamex on top - surely Foamex in the middle then you would be replicating the original. But you will know best!
      Like you stuck at home due to cats - I could **** the little ****s Snandra my partner has a friend you cat sits when we are away, she had a fall since then we have not been away!!!
      Jon
      Last edited by kernowjon; 25-08-2019, 10:07.

Comment

Ah, Foamex. It’s not foam, it’s what they make signs out of mainly. Imagine plastic facia board but in a sheet. Anyway, I thought I’d take advantage of it being waterproof and use it on top. My new toilet area will be watertight and sealed on the outside too
        It’s not the fault of the cat, it’s the bloody humans who organised it I blame !
        if we go away our cat goes to the Cattery. As long as he gets a room with a window he’s fine !

Comment

Another day on the van. Well, a few hours cos it’s too bloody hot out there, waited until 4pm when it usually cools down a bit, but not today, I was sweatin like I’m on bail !
          anyway, made up the hardwood piece to fit the base of the n/s wall. I decided yet again to mill it so as I had a step/overlap onto the floor. So the first board will go in flush with the step on this part, and the next board goes on top but overlaps onto the step. Bit complex to explain so here’s another of my pictures to haunt your nightmares he he.
          99AFC195-88F6-48D8-8BB1-F74FEC7FC389.jpeg
          So tomorrow I may be able to glue the first board in. Oh god, where’s the Gin ?

Comment

I’m hoping the light I can see is at the end of the tunnel and not another bloody train coming !
            started earlier today but had to back off once the sun came out to burn me. Anyway, more progress made starting with the wood I milled down yesterday. All glued in.
            C268A145-E735-414D-BB57-8F0FE0BFF0AA.jpeg
            Next the 2 upright boards that fix to the main floor of the van
            17F24003-EBAC-4337-8CBC-904B5FC1623D.jpeg
            The rebate is ready to accept the 2nd ply board which will slot into it and rest on top of the step of the wood at the base of the wall of the van. The first board (pictured) fits under the wooden frame at the rear of the van.
            9C06FB20-0861-468B-86FA-14A34D953DA1.jpeg6BB50919-51CF-4752-B416-BBF69DB4D268.jpeg

When both boards are finally glued on top of each other the final overlap will be made to join it to the remaining floor. It’ll all become more obvious when I post the pics.
            The strip of wood in the pics is just there to show how it all lines up, sort of
            Last edited by Martinez; 26-08-2019, 19:31.

Comment

Hi Martinez, I was fitting my new electric step to the pod, drilled a hole through the floor of the wetroom and water - lots of water at least 1/2 a litre - fortunately the grp skin does not feel "spongy" so I think the core must still be intact. The floor of the pod is fibreglass say 3mm thick 50mm core I have a feeling high density foam and another 3mm fibreglass skin on the other side.
              I am guessing a Thetford 365 toilet issue and use of the shower combined with GRPs porosity - Osmosis - has let the water in I am going to make a couple of 1 inch holes on each side of the outer skin and see if it all drains - if so then glass up the holes. Question should i assume the core is damaged and if so shall I repair using West System Epoxy as in this video?
              https://youtu.be/d4RfbD1j4EM
              Jon

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
                Hi Martinez, I was fitting my new electric step to the pod, drilled a hole through the floor of the wetroom and water - lots of water at least 1/2 a litre - fortunately the grp skin does not feel "spongy" so I think the core must still be intact. The floor of the pod is fibreglass say 3mm thick 50mm core I have a feeling high density foam and another 3mm fibreglass skin on the other side.
                I am guessing a Thetford 365 toilet issue and use of the shower combined with GRPs porosity - Osmosis - has let the water in I am going to make a couple of 1 inch holes on each side of the outer skin and see if it all drains - if so then glass up the holes. Question should i assume the core is damaged and if so shall I repair using West System Epoxy as in this video?
                https://youtu.be/d4RfbD1j4EM
                Jon
                Sorry but I know nothing about your model. But if it were me I’d drill the holes n let the water out, then find where it’s getting in, doubt it’ll be Osmosis. 1/2 lt is way too much and you’d see the damage to the actual fibreglass.
                Personally I wouldn’t touch resin to fix the floor. There’s another recent post on here re this and use of Polyurethane glue.
                Much less messing about as you don’t need to mix it, it pours well n runs into gaps and it expands like foam. It’s also more flexible than epoxy and it’s waterproof...... convinced ? It’s not cheap at around £15 for 500ml but we’ll worth it. And 500ml goes a long way. Think the stuff I bought off eBay is called Alligator. Same as Gorilla brand but cheaper.
                And I know I keep saying this but WEAR GLOVES it won’t come off your hands for days otherwise !
                looking at that video I’d use same technique, just not with epoxy resin.
                And to prove it I’ll be doing the same to the remaining part of my original floor. My plan is to squirt the stuff in the holes, wait a minute, then put a jack under the floor area using light pressure, then if needed top up the holes and stick a weight on top. This I think will force any expansion of the glue sideways and not push the laminates apart. Anybody got better advice I’ll be glad to hear it. Rained all day today so done nothing, took a trip out to a Company called Seaflo in Cradley Heath. Check em out online. Lots of camping stuff. Good prices too

Comment

Martinez Thanks for your reply - things looking better here. I think the water got in due to a construction defect - silicone around the lowered shower tray thingy has got old and the seal has failed. To check the marine ply core I used a hole cutter to make a couple of 25 mm holes through 5mm of fibrglass to the core. In view of the water I had expected to hit a soggy mass - Good news the core appears to be as strong and solid as the day it was installed Marine Ply with Mahogany facing - which is a relief.
                  Now I will hsve to fibreglass the inspection holes and to shift the focus of operations to the floor of the wetroom.
                  The Epoxy is double the price of Polyurethane but for basically painting over the fibreglass to seal any little cracks etc I know boat yards use West Systems which is an Epoxy will Polyurethane bond onto the fibreglass if I key it?
                  Jon

Comment

Polyurethane sticks like s**t to a blanket. It doesn’t like shiny surfaces so much and peels off polythene. Nu Venture use it to stick the original sandwich panel together and to the aluminium base sheet. And even though the ally is painted white it was still stuck better than the polystyrene core was to the plywood. It’s the foam that seems to fail image.jpg
                    If you’ve ever used that expanding foam to fit windows you’ll know from experience not to get it on the frame or you’ll have a bugger of a job getting it off ! That goes for brickwork and anything else come to that.
                    The glue doesn’t expand as much as the foam does.
                    I’ll try n do an experiment today and post results.
                    Does that make me a scientist ?
                    heres a vid I spotted, he does go on a bit and argues not to use expanding foam, I’d agree, but my experiments should show if the glue is a better choice. Or will it ?
                    https://youtu.be/R-LIZN-Dtak
                    I’m wondering what effect the heat of the epoxy resin has on polystyrene? Mm, now there’s a thought
                    Last edited by Martinez; 29-08-2019, 10:15.

Comment

D9E72578-C180-4C0F-A03A-DBA350DB106C.jpeg I’ve glued a couple of test pieces together, the one on the right was moistened with a damp sponge first
                      D9E72578-C180-4C0F-A03A-DBA350DB106C.jpeg The 2 bits together measure 24mm 7C68B923-E000-4EFD-95E3-D7E3E46C3603.jpeg then glue D9E72578-C180-4C0F-A03A-DBA350DB106C.jpeg
                      pressed together and left to set for 5 minutes
                      1ADAE276-59BD-44D2-9248-9101E93EC109.jpeg you can see that the one on the right starts to set first, but to be honest they both needed about 40 minutes to become solid
                      A72A1979-81CC-493B-97AB-641C8A3A41F0.jpeg finally, measured again and expansion was 0.5mm 3B75D35C-8DC2-4CCE-8D2F-C1853BC8DA4C.jpeg conclusion is it’ll do the job for me !
                      and if ever I need to do the other half I won’t have a solid mass of hard resin to try n cut out !
                      I’ve now glued first board in and after an hour it solid enough to walk on with no discernible soggyness. I’ll finish it tomorrow with luck.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Don’t know how that last picture ended up there !
                        anyway, glued first board in. It all went a bit Pete Tong. I needed something to help support the ally panel underneath, so I used the second board (which I’ve cut in two) to support it using a jack to hold it up. This seemed to work well enough and I’d already covered it in polythene to prevent it sticking. But the overlapped part on the right side wasn’t making good enough contact, so I bit the bullet and screwed 3 button head screws straight through and inti to board underneath. You don’t have much time to mess about with this glue so drastic action that can be rectified later was my choice. But after the glue had gone off I tried to unscrew the button head screws but they all wouldn’t budge and my impact gun did a good job of buggering up the heads. I then realised that in fact the pozi bit had broken which had caused the damage. So now I’ve got the board screwed under the van with stainless screws that wont drill out ! Couldn’t get my Fein Multimaster to them, so eventually resorted to brute force to lever the board off. Didn’t work out too bad in the end so it’s something I’ll try n forget..............aghhhh
                        heres some piccies anyway
                        87AE863E-D0EB-4160-9DE8-F00EA72C5222.jpeg here’s the overlap of second board under top panel of old floor
                        7D25A864-06D2-4C07-AE3C-28DC4A5C44D1.jpeg here’s a full picture, still got top Foamex sheet to cut n fix
                        D7EC23AE-BF26-480F-A987-25B2CBE87DEA.jpeg I know my boards are square so the van floor isn’t ! Or maybe there’s a bend in the rear ?
                        in case you wondered why I cut second board in two, it was because it was the only way to get it into the rebate at the top and under the original floor on the right. I even bought some paint today so must be feeling more positive eh

Comment

My remote control electronic switch arrived by post, another eBay purchase. Think I’m going to have bite the bullet n buy a wiring diagram as can’t get one online. It’s pretty complex and is wired into just about everything under the dash, with lots of extra wiring that goes nowhere. Only good part is that unlike other immobilisers I’ve come across, the wires are actually colour coded and not all black !
                          111933F9-ADA9-4ACE-A4BD-17B8B0AE1087.jpeg this is the control unit under the glovebox
                          B3E11231-123A-44A9-867A-300ABF9C7BF5.jpeg and here’s some of the extra wiring that goes nowhere it seems
                          26E4ED41-04E0-4806-B1D3-04E7284B8DBE.jpeg this is what greets me in the fuse box area. Some of it may be part of the old built-in satnav that I cut out and binned
                          image.jpg and here’s my new remote setup. Looks pretty good eh ? We’ll see

Comment

Both boards glued down now and floor is solid as a rock. Just got to stick the Foamex on top to make it all level then new vinyl flooring. It’s a bit spongy on the part I didn’t replace so I’m going to drill some holes and inject glue into it, hopefully that’ll stiffen it up a bit.
                            45C90065-0503-49DD-A5F6-E509A66AE335.jpeg here’s an offcut of the Foamex laid up against old floor, nice n level. Just need to decide what adhesive to use to stick it down

Comment

Here’s the final fit of the floor. Not glued yet but second photo shows how much the remaining floor has sunk just in front of the cooker. More on that another day. I’ll need to tidy up before I complete everything and I don’t like housework !
                              9DC77B9B-119B-4CA7-A5E2-A2F164A0DCBD.jpeg29DB6D99-D656-4C01-9202-344B3CCC1855.jpeg
                              now, for the next bit I need information and advice.
                              62E54B4D-2D12-45F4-9CEE-8A01391A4780.jpeg here’s the floor level showing cartridge door, there’s quite a step up from the van floor, as I didn’t keep a note of this I can only assume this is correct ? I’ll have to mill a piece of hardwood to fit the gap under the door and I’m going to fit a drain in the floor so any future leaks or spillage can make it’s own way out ! So anyone with a Surf, can you confirm step down inside door please ?
                              Back to housework, the whole van needs a freshen up. What’s the best method of cleaning the walls ? They feel like cardboard, are they porous ? Or can they be painted without causing damp issues?

Comment

Well the weather has stayed dry and no extreme heat either so managed to get a bit more done on the floor.
                                231BA8FA-3154-4660-A07F-600C605FA041.jpeg there was a bit missing from the rear lower frame caused by the levelling jack, all cut out n new wood glued in
                                7FF36C36-BA47-4CD2-94E9-F331CF9B91EF.jpeg next was the bit missing under the access door. New piece made from hardwood glued n screwed in
                                0539ABC1-30B4-4CE6-B180-7B008373DA91.jpeg finally, here’s the plastic skirting offered up. Still not glued the Foamex to the floor yet so an offcut used to gauge height. With the walls painted and the skirting fitted all round it should look pretty smart.
                                I’ve had no comments about which paint to use and have previously recommended Acrylic Primer-Undercoat as its waterproof and easy to clean.
                                Im not sure what the final layer is on the van, but it looks like paper !? It’s certainly 3mm ply underneath so I’ll try an area and see how it looks.
                                Hopefully, it won’t all bubble up n look patchy, then again, if that’s the case it wouldn’t make much difference what I used eh ?

Comment