Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good

Comment

Thanks Sandra. I appreciate your support. Just wish I had a campervan to go on my hols ! Oh, before I forget, bought some plastic wheel trims today £10 new off a bloke down the road. Starting to put things back together is always more uplifting than finding more n more needing to be removed. I need to get the toilet area finished as my better half is using the toilet as a plant pot stand in the garden !
      still a long way to go yet

Comment

Originally posted by Martinez View Post
        I’ve had no comments about which paint to use and have previously recommended Acrylic Primer-Undercoat as its waterproof and easy to clean.
        Im not sure what the final layer is on the van, but it looks like paper !? It’s certainly 3mm ply underneath so I’ll try an area and see how it looks.
        Hopefully, it won’t all bubble up n look patchy, then again, if that’s the case it wouldn’t make much difference what I used eh ?
        It sounds like the stuff that's on the walls of my caravan, M. I painted it with kitchen paint from B&Q, silk emulsion. It does gather a bit of condensation if you're cooking in there with the door shut though - not that I often do that. On reflection, I think matt emulsion would have been a better choice - and undercoat. Or proper caravan wallpaper. I didn't undercoat the wallpaper stuff, and the silk emulsion didn't adhere very well.. scratched off in places just from general daily use. If I had used an undercoat first I don't think this would have happened. The poptop roof had been undercoated, and that was ok.

Comment

Here's an example of a place that does the proper caravan wallpaper stuff. Shop around though. It's very wide compared to standard wallpaper, but quite expensive per metre. I wish I had used something like this though, on reflection, as it would have done a much better job.

https://www.thecaravanwarehouse.co.u...ts/wall-papers

Comment

Well, I’ve started the painting. See what you think. I didn’t want to use emulsion as it doesn’t adhere that well and scratches easily like you say Jayjay. This stuff dries half way between silk n matt and put on with a small foam roller it give a slightly textured finish.
            30F6258C-C6C6-4FBA-8B4C-CBB98D4F3BCB.jpeg you can just see the contrast with the old finish on the door. This is just one coat too

Comment

Well, I’ve nearly run out of polyurethane glue so had to order another 500ml. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EVERBUILD...-/141138109792
              it’s even cheaper than I remember and highly recommended by me. He he
              My better half is well impressed with the painting so I think I’m going to pop out n lubricate the old tonsils with IPA. See ya

Comment

It smartens it up Martinez. We had plastic covered wardrobes years ago from MFI and I eventually painted them with eggshell finish, having prepared well beforehand and that must have been 20 odd years ago and they are still good.

Eggshell is a matt,hard finish

Comment

MFI, that takes me back. Think they got ousted by Ikea 20 odd years ago. Eggshell is good stuff, but it’s oil based n takes ages to dry, good hard wearing stuff which will probably be a better bet on plastics.
                  Did nothing today after a trip up to Speke. Nightmare journey, I was glad to get home again. Back to work next week so hoping to complete the toilet by then. There’s a thick black cable from the rear light that runs through the toilet area, can’t remember how it was routed so I’ll have to try n find a way of hiding it or moving it out of the way

Comment

I keep learning stuff all the time about how this van was built.
                    Today I decided to tackle the toilet wall which is also the backrest for the rear seat at the table. The water ingress had laminated the bottom of the panel so I decided to chop it off n glue a piece in. If you’ve ever taken this panel out you’ll notice how light it is. To my surprise on cutting 60mm off the bottom I discovered that it’s actually hollow !
                    1FC27D83-24AE-4CE3-AA02-518DDDCF73AA.jpeg basically it’s a 6mm frame sandwiched between two 3mm panels. No chance of an easy fix then, so I had to get the table saw out again n make up a piece that slots into the gap
                    C836194E-15E8-4F1C-83F1-EC1EFE4D6D07.jpeg and after glue n clamps being applied it’s as good as new, I’ll post a picture when it’s painted.
                    I know the van looks messy but every time it rains I have to throw tools in the back !

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the finished results (I bet you are too )

Comment

Well, my painted wall was looking good after 2 coats
                        BFA523DB-32FE-4A98-9AF5-8145EEF4A4E6.jpeg then today i accidentally knocked it over along with some aluminium step ladders. Aluminium does a good job of leaving black marks on white surfaces, so now the wall has a dirty big black streak down one side! Bugger
                        also discovered that battery had gone a bit flat and wouldn’t start the engine, so duly taken off and charged all is well there. I’m just wondering if the immobiliser is draining it. I’ll have to keep my eye on that. Also, after some showers yesterday I noticed a damp patch in the corner at the rear where I’ve replaced the floor. I think it’s coming from where the rear panel joins the body at the lower side. I’ve squirted some glue in there to seal it but uts something else I’ll need to solve before final fixing of floor and skirting in toilet, otherwise it’ll just get hidden behind the plastic panels.
                        One step forward eh ?
                        I've fitted my smaller high level brake light and a rear view view camera. Hopefully I won’t be bashing the rear up as much as the previous owner. I have to admit, it’s not an easy vehicle to reverse.
                        6167E44D-3183-4656-A82A-0C3305C61991.jpeg
                        Back to work tomorrow in Birmingham. Hate driving there but at least it’s just a training day and I don’t need to be there until 10am !
                        Lie in, yeahhhhh

Comment

Decided to take train this morning in the rain. Only £6-25 with my Railcard so probably cheaper than driving anyway. Took the van out for little drive last night and was reminded how bad the brakes are. Another bloody job to do. Anyway, after it raining most of today I came home to find the damp patch at the back is no more. So my suspicions were correct and a little of the glue in the gap fixed it. I also pulled the electrics box out to see where the solar panel control unit is hidden. After reading recent article it appears removing the battery buggers them up if they’re still connected to the panel. I’ve ordered a new one anyway as they’re cheap as chips, I’ll try n pull the old one out later this week and check what voltage I’m getting (if any) from the panel.

Comment

Stripped front brakes down yesterday. Nothing obviously wrong but drove it round the block tonight and there did seem to be some improvement. Trouble is, they’re still rubbish ! I’ll keep at it.
                            I decided as the sun was out to deal with some of the jellcoat cracks at the rear. When I got the van I thought it must have been stolen and ragged around some fields, but on seeing previous owners new Surf, I think it’s just his bad driving !
                            If you’ve never repaired crack in fibreglass before, be assured that if you just fill n paint it, it’ll crack again, you’ve got to cut into it and fill with an appropriate filler. I find a grouting removal tool on my Multimaster works well and leaves a trench less than 3mm wide. Careful though, don’t go too deep or you’ll make a hole and weaken the structure.
                            I’d already bought some jellcoat repair stuff which I applied according to the instructions. But to be honest, it’s not that good. Firstly it’s too white. Secondly it’s terrible to sand and melts if you use any power sanding device. So I used some of the filler that I used on the side skirts. Much easier to sand n doesn’t clog or melt, but it’s a bit darker. I tried mixing the two, but unless you’re prepared to gouge it all out every time it’ll never be that good. Think I’ll just fill it all sand it down n paint it !

Comment

I have used gelcoat filler but you do need to sand it by hand and no the colour doesnt match

Peter

Comment

I forgot to say. If it is a crack you need to find the end and very gently drill a small shallow hole (careful as said above not to go too deep, I did it with a drill bit in my hand), otherwise the crack can continue to spread after your repair.

I wish i could get some paint to match the colour of the fibreglass on my Romahome.

Peter

Comment