No announcement yet.

Working on my 2001 Nu Venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mm. Don’t think the hole is really needed. I’d certainly do that if it was metal or plastic even, but because of the mat reinforcement I don’t think it will continue to split. Most damage tends to be caused by impact, so if you hit it again in same place it may well break along same line but not with something like vibration. Unless it’s really bad. Time will tell I guess

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
      I forgot to say. If it is a crack you need to find the end and very gently drill a small shallow hole (careful as said above not to go too deep, I did it with a drill bit in my hand), otherwise the crack can continue to spread after your repair.

I wish i could get some paint to match the colour of the fibreglass on my Romahome.

Peter
      __________________________________________________ ______

I did the same with tiny jeweller's drill when I repaired my sink then sed a dremel type tool to gouge the rest carefully.

We took the van to an automotive spray shop and they brought out their little machine to match the colour

Comment

Martinez you are quite right about the matting layer but the gel coat is a different matter, you need to stop the track of the crack (ask me how I know). If the gel coat is breached then the matting layer absorbs moisture (it is hygroscopic) and that must be prevented at all costs.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
          Martinez you are quite right about the matting layer but the gel coat is a different matter, you need to stop the track of the crack (ask me how I know). If the gel coat is breached then the matting layer absorbs moisture (it is hygroscopic) and that must be prevented at all costs.

Peter
          Sounds bad. Learnt a little about this when I owned a yacht. I’d be more worried if it was a hull.
          Also from memory this was an issue associated with the materials used in the 1970s, modern materials don’t seem to suffer from this, or at least to a much lesser degree. Ive actually seen this on a couple of boats and it can be really bad, but then again, I’m not going to sink, I hope !
          also, there’s a gap behind that rear panel so if the moisture wants to get in it can.
          I’m not going to worry too much about it, I think by the time the glass fibre starts to break down the van will be scrap anyway.
          Sorry, I’m sounding like a right know it all, I need to get out more

Comment

Spent the day trying to finish the toilet area. Glued floor down, but need some flooring before I can do much more. I also tried the paint I bought some time back. It seems a pretty good match for the white. Trying to figure out a new route for the cable that runs through the toilet area. It did run along the floor I think, but it’s just in the way. Any ideas ?

Comment

Mm, no ideas either eh ?
              anyway, modified my camera for the rear. It was originally made to mount other way up vertically. But I want it to face downwards. Can’t just turn it upside down or the image will be same. So prised it apart n turned the camera inside 180 deg. Bit of a fiddle and especially as the camera lens is fixed to the circuit board and the outer case. So stuck it back together with silicone mastic and it seems to work fine. I didn’t realise that the green, orange and red zones are actually created by the camera and not the screen, so learnt something new.
              I’ve also started to fit the new cruise control system. Or at least traced some of the wiring n removed the console. My old one used a control box fixed to the right side of the dash. The new one has a more normal control lever. It doesn’t move but has a display and buttons to switch on n off and adjust. Trouble is it’s starting to get dark early so not much time in evenings and busy over next 2 weeks.
              I’ll just have to get my finger out then !

Comment

Well my meeting was a disaster today as when I got there the guy who was organising it had gone off sick 2 weeks ago. Anyway, got back to sunny Wolves again n fitted the control stalk to the console and connected it up. I’d emailed the manufacturer in Sweden before I went out as I noticed that there were 7 wires going to the main unit, but only 6 coming from the controller. Very helpful folk who respond quickly PDQ.se but just sent me a link to the online manual. Already got this but it doesn’t cover the controller ! Bugger !
                Anyway, after looking at the old controller I noticed that it only had 6 wires coming from it so problem solved. Or was it that it didn’t exist ?
                I untangled the mess of wires that ran through the fusebox area and identified all those relating to the cruise control, the rest were for the built in satnav that I’d removed earlier. I bit the bullet and cut all the wiring out that wasn’t needed and wrapped the loom up and fitted it up under the dash with cable ties. All neat n tidy now. My big worry whilst doing this was that I might cut something for the immobiliser. Turns out that this was far more professionally fitted and after starting the van up all is obviously working. He he. Turned on cruise control which beeped and displayed 66 on the LCD panel. I’ll have to take it for a spin to see if it works properly so that’ll have to wait. Looks like being a nice day tomorrow so hope to empty the van and paint interior. Either that or lie in bed all day..........wish I could. How come when you’re younger you can sleep so much ?

Comment

It's called "Sod's LAw"

Comment

Originally posted by SandraM View Post
                    It's called "Sod's LAw"
                    I had a lie in unti 8 !
                    then wrote an entire article on Cruise Control. I really do need to get out more .,

Comment

If you’ve read my Cruise Control post you’ll know another item has been ticked off the list. Better news still, brakes seem much improved since stripping the front calipers. I’ll monitor the brakes for a while though as they seemed to get better once before then went back to being useless !
                      got a meeting in Stoke tomorrow so if I get back in time I’ll do a bit more. I’m currently haggling with a seller on Marketplace over industrial non slip flooring. I only need 6 sq mts, at £6 a sq mt that makes £36 in my book, but she said £45 ! Mm must think I was born yesterday.
                      Pub later I think, then if time tomorrow I’ll look at re fitting the toilet and finding a route for that bloody cable. Oh, nearly forgot, more toys still to fit, parking sensors and rear view camera. I like toys. My precious toys, precious......

Comment

Had a call from my brother Friday, his drains were blocked and he wasn’t sure about best method for clearing them, so ipopped round Friday night and ended going back yesterday to finish unblocking them, then back again this morning to fix his downpipe. Also had to fix his neighbours drain which is on his property. Then he tells me that neighbour said she’d get him a bottle of Vodka for doing it. I don’t want to look in the mirror in case I can see ‘mug’ written on my forehead !
                        The rain has returned so limiting what I can do on the van. Noticed that the damp spot in the corner of the toilet has returned so did a little more investigating. You can see how dark the wood is
                        E6B1E5BE-E37C-47DE-8252-A0AD04515696.jpeg
                        after getting the step ladders out I noticed a bit of damage on the top corner at the rear, right above the damp spot. So I’ve used a temporary fix of squirting some glue into it and see if that resolves the damp spot. I’ll have to wait for more dry weather before filling it properly. I’ve also had to strengthen the wood frame above the door. After cutting a hole for the camera there looked to be a distinct weakness in the timber. There are 3 pieces of timber above the door so I’ve added some extra pieces to bolster it all up using glue n screws. I’m not sure I’ll bother with the original clock fitted as the battery is an odd size, so I may just invest in something more contemporary and useful like one of those weather stations. Still loads to do but I’m not beaten yet !

Comment

Had to work 3 days this week so not got a lot done. Popped out this morning and bought some nice grey industrial vinyl flooring, enough to cover the whole floor of the van for £32. I wanted something hard wearing, waterproof and non slip and it should fit the bill nicely. What’s holding me up is the bloody rain, I need to strip the interior to fit the flooring and paint the rest of the walls. Guess I’ll just have to wait for a dry spell n crack on.
                          I have managed to finally fit the rear view camera and was hoping to use the wiring from the old camera to save running new wires from the front to the rear, but the old system has a different plug either end so no luck there. I also need to sort out the 240 volt system and the setup for the leisure battery. Can’t find a wiring diagram online so I’ll have to trace all the wiring throughout the van. Bugger !

Comment

Seems the more you dig the more you find !
                            I was aware that the n/s rear wheel arch had worn through the fibreglass at the front. I put this down to overloading and that the bump stops were worn out. No longer an issue since fitting the MAD suspension units, but after patching it from inside the arch I did wonder what I’d find when I pulled the cover off inside the van. Well, here’s the answer
                            CAE80217-944C-448C-8CDA-6B3BF53551ED.jpeg
                            its not as bad as it looks really. The only real rot is in the top plywood. The bottom piece and the timber frame all seem solid. Now the cover is off I’ll repair the wheel arch from inside the van.
                            The last bit of the floor that worries me is in the corner under the sink. Buts that’s for another day.
                            I’m still getting water on the floor at the rear, I’ve tried everything here to find where it’s getting in, but nothing obvious. I’m wondering if it’s getting in through the rear door. More investigation required methinks.

Comment

Have to admire your patience and optimism. Is the end in sight yet? Hope the rain eases off for you in the near future.Martinez

Comment

If I can just identify the leak at the rear I’ll be happy. The rest isn’t that bad. It’s no worse than the house I bought in 1988 and I’m still fixing up.
                                Mm, there seems to be a pattern emerging....

Comment