No announcement yet.

Working on my 2001 Nu Venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nu venture have used different base vehicles when building their vans.
    I've seen the surf on the Citroen berlingo and also on the fiat scudo. (there may be others?)
    What base vehicle do you have? It may save any confusion in the advice members give you.

Comment

there was a post saying nu surf makers say you can not fit a tow bar . you have had the answer to lowering the spare wheel.
      BuzznDave

Comment

Originally posted by jenjo View Post
        On our Surf the side lockers use the rear door key so, if you have replaced the rear door lock, the new key won't work the lockers. Do you have the key for the original lock?
        I’ve got original key, doesn’t fit/work on any, I’ve ordered new lock for back door. Looks like it was broken into at some time and top half of door was twisted. Managed to straighten it out but it’s got a crease in it so may end up making a new one. Found a small hole under the drivers seat so that’ll need welding. Took fridge out n plugged into mains in house, seems to work ok. My better half has cleaned the side skirts up and a large tin of P40 arrived yesterday along with the fabric. I won’t be using matting if I can avoid it. Popped in to see my mate at mot centre, he 5hinks van will fit on his ramps so as soon as I’ve got the skirts patched up I’ll take it in n find out the bad news !
        have a good bit of luck yesterday, I was looking for ally sheet to use on the roof vent to reduce it down to 400 x 400 from 900 x 600. Got a tip that a local sign maker might have something suitable, turns out they stock ally composite 1/8’’ thick. Ally finish one side and white the other. It’s basically 2 thin sheets of ally with solid plastic sheet in between. Sold me an offcuts 1220 x 750 for £20 and I’m well pleased. I’ll keep the larger internal flyscreen n blind inside and fit the new smaller vent in the middle. I’ve already cut it to size with my trusty Fein Multimaster. A must have tool I’d recommend. It’ll cut through anything just about and doesn’t make a big mess ! I’m going to fit some dead bolts on the rear door to avoid further thieving gits from getting in. Suppose next task is to replace the rear floor. Ho hum, another project I could do without !

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by kyran View Post
            yes underneath in a cradle. ..... on the sink side in the bed there is a small round bit of metal you turn to lower it if you fit an adapted towbar it will bring the back lower and probably exceed the weight limit for towing. it's only a berlingo van after all. if you put the spare over the cab it would get the bedding dirty

Kyran

never saw fit a cover oops
            You’re right about the screw thingy under the bed, cheers, just need to find a cradle now. Are they all the same ?
            as for the spare wheel at the front, not sure if you have same sense of humour as me, but if you were serious I did mean on the outside not in the cupboard !
            just a quick update on the quatermass experiment inside the bog. It all cleaned up a treat with some limescale remover and a Brillo Pad. So that’ll save me forking out for a new bowl. Got the front seat out after much fiddling n cursing. The seat adjuster isn’t working great so shoving forward to get to the back screws was ok, but it wouldn’t go back far enough to get at one of the front bolts. A rubber mallet and a prybar got me there in the end. Want to check the floors under the carpets for any corrosion so I’ll take a look tomorrow. I want to change the interior anyway to something other than 1980s curry house flock wallpaper. It’s a dark red floral pattern........horrid ! So it’s got to go. Keep finding strange coins under sears, beds and even the fridge. Think they’re Danish. This van has certainly travelled, just a shame nobody noticed the leaking toilet leaving me to replace the floor. Now if that all sounds bad enough, take a look at the side skirts, off roading springs to mind !

Comment

Comment

looks like he drove over a high pavement ouch

Comment

More Norwegian coins found under the seat. This van certainly has been everywhere. Whilst poking about underneath I found levelling jacks at the back, they’re so corroded I’ll probably have to cut them off, certainly not been used for years if ever ! I also spotted the spare wheel cradle. God only knows how you’re supposed to get a spare wheel in or out under there at 2 am on the side of the motorway. Anyone point me in the direction of the jacking points ?
                  Think it’s time I went on Fleabay and bought a berlingo manual, I’ll need it to do the service anyway.
                  Happy camping

Comment

only time i needed to get mine out we called the rac

Comment

Originally posted by kyran View Post
                      only time i needed to get mine out we called the rac
                      I’m thinking on similar lines, but you can end up waiting for hours for them to turn up, or like a friend of mine who broke down in the Breacon Beacons, couldn’t find her !
                      least of my priorities at moment. Need to get it ready for MOT first then fix everything else. Someone mentioned a fix for the leaking toilet earlier but not which part needs to be replaced. I’ve seen mentioned elsewhere that it’s the flush pipe that’s the problem, but on mine it seems ok. So am I missing something ?
                      guess you’ll have realised by now I’m a diy guy, I’ll have a go at fixing anything and I’ve usually got the tools and skills to do it. Seems most on here just take it to a garage, but as long as you’re still fit enough most jobs can be undertaken by a novice with the right tools and some videos off YouTube!
                      I can assure you the pleasure in fixing it yourself outweighs the scuffed knuckles and dirty fingernails. Fear is what stops most people I find, and most jobs aren’t that difficult really. Save yourself some cash too ! If anyone wants advice just ask

Comment

My glass fibre resin has arrived by post and as I’m semi retired now I’ll be making a mess and sticking myself to everything in the garage later this week. Horrid stuff to work with, but been there n got the T shirt. Need to find a way to tow a trailer, anyone any experience ? Differing opinions on whether or you it can be done. But I want to take a motorcycle with me when I set off touring

Comment

I saw your Pic showing it to be a Citroen so that was why I said The makers in Preston have said you can not fit a tow bar.also the location of the spare was based on that Pic. how is the work progressing?
                          BuzznDave

Comment

Well, got the angle grinder out and started on the damaged skirts. Tried a flap wheel first, too slow, so I’ve got these nasty looking disc with big chunks of tungsten (or something) stuck on them. They’re good for grinding brickwaok anyway. Much better, just rips it off. It’s then I discover I’m not the first to fix these skirts ! Previous attempt had used all the proper filler but just stuck it over the cracks, so the new cracks are even deeper versions of the original ones. Great. Some of the filler was at least 1/4’’ thick in places so took some shifting. And then the worst happened. I recognised the smell first of all, then the sound of the angle grinder changed and then it died. So, got to go out tomorrow n buy a new one, I think it’s only the brushes but I’ll leave that for another day.
                            Finally got both front seats out and was impressed on the good condition of the floors underneath. Apart that is from the hole on the drivers side that is. All the bolts n screws came out easy too which is good news on a 17 year old van. So hopefully it’s just the hole and the skirts for the mot. Or am I falling into that trap of optimism ?
                            emailed Nu Venture today, they want £15 for a manual, is it worth getting one ? I don’t want to cough up for something that no more than a brochure !

Comment

not really, if mine is anything to go by it's a general handbook for all the surfs, and both of mine and my brothers are different from each other
                              and no proper wiring diagram either. when the wires popped out of a relay I had to go to Wigan and ask one of the chaps there . they were really helpful. fortunately i was on my way home from Scotland at the time

kyran

Comment

The Surf manual I have calls itself an 'Owner's Instruction Manual' and consists of about 30 A4 size sheets held together with a plastic spine bar. It's an owner's handbook type thing (not a workshop manual) which explains the various features of the camper including gas, electrical and water systems, fridge, toilet and other onboard fittings .Although it's not a proper bound book, it does have some useful information in it.

Comment