No announcement yet.

Working on my 2001 Nu Venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m thinking I’ve already figured out most of how things work as I’ve taken most of it apart !
    im surprised that the only way of filling the water tank is via the passenger seat. I’m thinking as I’m moving the fridge from behind the passenger seat to the more usual galley area, I could fill the exhaust hole with a filler cap. I’ll have to make sure the current filler cap is well sealed though or I’ll end up with a footwell full of water.
    My efforts to temporarily cover the hole where the old roof vent was seems to have failed miserably. Constant rain all day lead to me installing 3 buckets to catch the drips ! Bugger !
    And to top it off, I ordered a new Bosch 115 mm angle grinder off Fleabay only to realise later it’s 110 volt. So I’ll have to cart a transformer around now to use it. Ah well, I put it down to enthusiasm coupled with positive thinking, better just to stick to doom n gloom in future methinks.
    Anyway, tomorrow is another day eh.
    There I go again being optimistic again, what’s the matter with me ? Is it the start of dementia ?
    I’d better get this thing fixed before I forget I bought it.

Comment

the 110 v via a transformer is a safer option
      BuzznDave

Comment

Started on the fibreglass work today after the rain stopped. And stuck some tape over the pinholes in the temporary cover on the rooflight.
        So thie time, unlike the last attempt done by unknown cowboy, I’ve started by building up some actual fibre on the rear of the near side skirt using fabric not mat. Trouble is, the bottle of resin sent to me doesn’t actually state it’s quantity ! So even though they also sent a syringe to measure the hardner I’m not sure how much to use ! Mm, trial n error then. I’ve made a jig to hold the skirts whilst I work on them, well, it’s just a 6ft length of 3x2 really with the skirts screwed on both facing inwards. But it does let me judge the original shape for the broken bit that came off.
        I also decided to try and remove the lock barrel from the cassette door. The key I got with the van with tag saying ‘all doors’ doesn’t fit anything. Bought a new rear door lock for £20 from local caravan spares place so don’t have to climb through the cab to lock up anymore. Anyway, I discover some photos of the lock barrels online and figured out that if you dril a 1mm hole in just the right spot you can push the retaining pin in and push the barrel out. With the barrel out you can see the key number stamped on it. And guess what ? It’s not the number on the key, but now I can buy a key to fit. Winner winner etc. Don’t know which way weather will go over weekend but need to weld that plate under the drivers seat, the couple of tyres and take it for mot.
        I also cut a hole in the floor just inside the rear door to check it’s construction, turns out it’s 1/2 ply on top of polystyrene foam. Bit of rot in there should be an easy fix.
        Oh god, I’m getting optimistic again. It’ll all end in tears

Comment

Well, it didn’t end in tears, it started with them. Got my small mig welder out in hope of fixing the floor. Need 0.6mm wire to weld thin stuff like this. I know I’ve got some but can’t find it so pop down to toolstation and parted with £5-66. Ok, just get the gas bottle out. Gas bottle there but no gauge. Search for gauge but no luck, but did find the mig wire I was looking for earlier. Trouble is, she who must be obeyed likes to tidy up after me (or that’s what I like to think) but her logic of what goes where is based on shape more than purpose. So any long pointy things all go together, and any pliers type things likewise. But I remember the gauges being in a bucket with other tools I bought back when I sold the boat. No sign of bucket and can’t remember what else was in it. Had to resort to texting my mate and borrowing bits off him. Went to pub to drown sorrows.
          Anyway, as weather wasn’t looking great I did a bit more on the skirts. Made up a mould to build back the broken off pieces, and to be honest, it’s starting to look pretty good. There’s still a way to go with it but I could always pop them back on unpainted for mot, at least now they look solid enough. I’ll take a look at welding later this week if weather better. I won’t build up my hopes

Comment

Back to work again today and still doing glassfiber. Horrible job but starting to see some the end in sight. Trouble is the worst is yet to come, sanding it all down ! Yuk messy dusty dirty job that leave the area by my bins looking like I’ve spilt vast amounts of illegal substances !
            ah well, it’ll all be worth it in the end. I’ve had another thought. If I fit a spacesaver Spare wheel in the toilet after removing the wardrobe wall, I could use the space underneath the van for a water tank. Any thoughts ? Hot water ? Grey water ? Or just shift the current tank ?

Comment

Just about finished replacing all the missing/broken bits on the n/s skirt. Have managed to follow the original shape pretty well and drove over to Telford to get some proper filler to finish off. The o/s skirt is in much better nick so won’t need half the work doing.
              So, decided to take the carpet out in the front to check the floors and deal with any rust issues. Nightmare job ! Ended up having to cut the gearknob off and then cut the carpet either side under the centre consol. The foam underneath was soaking wet but good news is it all looks solid apart from the previously mentioned hole under drivers seat. When I first got the van I found a couple of things that I didn’t recognise. There was a broken cable attached to the accelerator unit and there’s a small black plastic switch unit on top of the dash. I though the switch could be some kind of alarm and no idea about the cable thingy. So, on pulling the centre consol out I found this

Comment

Now I know what the cable is, but the actuator that operates it is missing and makers over in Sweden want £300 for a new one !
                guess I’ll leave that for now.
                Wednesday was a terrible day. Went to buy some wheels n tyres from a bloke near Shifnal, but when I stopped at garage to use the cashpoint it ate my card! Seems I wasn’t the first either but guys in garage say it’s nothing to do with them and to ring the bank who own it. They didn’t care, and said they couldn’t give me my card back. So after advising them I knew of an alternative slot to stick it, I had to drive back to Wolves and go begging at the bank for money. ‘What no photo I.d. ?’ No ! My drivers licence is 30 years old and held together with sticky tape. My i.d. was eventually confirmed by answering the question ‘have you been to the pub recently ?’ Does the pope crap in the woods ? I thought, so after telling cashier which pub and that I had forked out £7-70 for 2 pints n a pack of peanuts, cash was handed over. I was also advised to consider online backing, I told her I preferred to deal with humans. But it reality, I don’t trust my finances to the Web !
                anyway, gets back home and having collected the filler and some 3’’ discs thought I’d do a bit of sanding. All went well until my trusty compressor made a storage metallic noise and promptly committed suicide. Great !
                Had 2 meetings at work yesterday and today been down to Cambridgeshire for a funeral, life goes on eh, but I’m knackered.

Comment

B568FE1B-E9EF-4C56-B532-F3610250F5E2.jpegC57EEACD-39CD-42CF-B593-531D8550963D.jpeg Been working on the van as much as possible. Welded up the hole in the floor, re-fitted the carpets in the front with new rubber mat glued into drivers side. All went well. And then..........it all went horror story !
                  i knew I needed 2 new tyres on the rear so jacked up the van and took the wheels off. 2 tyres later I thought I’d check the brake shoes, yes they’re pretty much worn out. But always a good sign to see copperslip used by last mechanic. So just thought I’d check round for any obvious things needed for MOT. When out of the corner of my eye I caught sight of the Grim Reaper. I didn’t turn round as I saw a bigger and more scary sight under the wheel arch. A crack in the chassis. Went round to other side and same there. Pretty much in same place too ! So, is this a known issue ? Or am I the lucky guy who saved a camper from the Demolition Derby ?
                  Like I always say, it’s not a light at the end of the tunnel, it’s a lynch mob with a torch. And they’ve got a big dog too !
                  Last edited by Martinez; 17-04-2019, 19:50.

Comment

I seem to have hijacked the bumpy roads post, so thought I’d move back here to waffle on and moan.
                    Still welding n grinding away underneath, but I can no see light on the horizon. I’ve completed the rear crossmember and will be fitting it today weather permitting so hope to post good news later on. I’ve also got to fabricate something to fit between the rear floor and the back panel.
                    There were 2 aluminium pieces fitted either side but a big gap in the middle. Also there are some holes in the floor back there from where the jacks had rotted away. I’m going to need to replace the floor at some point but getting it roadworthy is my main priority. Ho hum

Comment

AC9C0DFD-328C-4E15-BF16-7A1729D3FAC0.jpeg Yesterday was a hell of a day. First bit of sunshine for days but the wind made it cold. Couple of showers otherwise it stayed dry enough for me to finally weld on the new crossmember I’ve made. After checking again for final fit, I was concerned that the rear edge of what’s left of the original van didn’t look that good. It was corroded and a bit thin, so once again a delay whilst I make another section and weld it on. Feeling very pleased that I seemed to be making progress, I took off my safety glasses and something went into my left eye. Numerous eye washes and the Mrs poking around with a tissue failed to find anything, so it was pack all the tools away and off to A&E !
                      arrived at good old New Cross Hospital and whilst driving round looking for parking near A&E, I suddenly announced ‘its gone’ ! No reason known but it just went and my eye felt fine. Well at least I hadn’t parked up to be robbed by the ‘pay up or we keep your car’ meter !
                      Driving home I decided I’d had enough for the day so would just paint the inside of the new part ready for today’s welding up.
                      Looks like little threat of rain this morning so should get it completed. But that old devil called Sods Law keeps niggling me, something else is bound to bugger up my dreams of touring in my own camper.

Comment

I have just been reading this whole thread and can only applaud your continued upbeat enthusiasm for this project. No matter what comes around the corner and tries to knock you down, up you get, brush yourself off and carry on regardless . Oh how I wish I had the very obvious knowhow and DIY skill set that you appear to have. I will follow this one with great interest

Comment

1D787122-8508-408E-B738-23E9FDA1C4F5.jpeg21268276-3BDA-471C-A10A-FD324389D9A1.jpeg Thanks for that. A problem shared is bla bla bla
                          anyway, new crossmember welded in place. Haven’t bothered grinding the welds to make it look pretty as it’s under the van anyway, but a smear of mastic over the welds and couple of coats of red oxide make it look acceptable. I’ve still got a couple of bits to do at either end but I don’t need to lie on my back under the van for that. Then it’s onto the next problem. Or at least the one I know about

Comment

And the winner is ?
                            the next issue is the engine warning light is on. This may be linked to the following issue that the rev counter doesn’t work. So I’m thinking crankshaft sensor ? It seems though that not only did Citroen inter link every bloody electrical item to the ecu, but they used a system that could only be read by their equipment. They didn’t move to the OBD system until 2004 when they were forced to. So unless I can find a friendly mechanic with the right software, the chances of fixing the faul lies with trial n error and replacing parts. But even this doesn’t guarantee a positive result as some of the components won’t be recognised by the ecu.
                            Wish me luck on this one, I’ll need it !

Comment

Originally posted by Martinez View Post
                              . . . .All went well until my trusty compressor made a storage metallic noise and promptly committed suicide. . . . .
                              Mine did that. It is a very-nice-one-for-the-money from Lidl and ideal for pumping motorhome tyres up to 70 which the petrol station ones don't seem to manage. Anyway thinking I needed a new compressor, but there's no harm in taking mine to bits first, I removed the end plate where the crankshaft is that drives the pistons up and down. I found no oil in there. There should be oil. Then I noticed that there was an oily patch on the floor under that end of the compressor. I smeared some anti-oil sealant round the crankshaft end-plate and refitted it and refilled the crankcase with oil and turned on the mains. Vroom Vroom, the compressor ran just fine and still does. The difference now is that I check the oil level each time before I start it! Apparently no harm at all was done to the moving parts which I am very happily surprised at.
                              Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding. Proverbs 3

Comment

Don’t think any amount of oil will fix this ! image_19029.jpg

Comment